Danimal

The Wrong way around. My 2017 trip to the Smoky Mountains

So I'll start my ride thread by merely stating that I have decided after much thought, to completely wing this year's trip. 

Have spent quite a few hours already on Basecamp creating detailed daily routes for all three weeks. Basecamp, quite literally, suck ass. 

Added to that is my recent promise to my Son that I would begin the trip with a detour to Baltimore to visit him (miss him badly) and that blew past my route plans. 

Besides, last Summer's Gap trip proved to me that some of the best days and times happen when just wandering lost.

i also changed the style of the trip. Gone will be the small tent and nightly search for a stealth camp spot. I'll be looking more at establishing base camps and ranging out from there for daily trip unladen.  Should be more fun offroad as a result.  

I'll post up more details as we get closer (I'm leaving after work on 5/31)

and anyone thinking of joining me here and there along the way, don't. 

You'll just be as lost as I am. 

Spot Tracker: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=03xe5o5LTXIRG8TVKiCXVtInJtmCkTqqt

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

Enjoy your trip!

+1 on Basecamp.  I have yet to sucessfully enter ONE route after hours and hours of trying!  It's a complete POS.  I still use MAPSource when possible.

Edited by Qman

Thanks for the suggestions on how to create routes guys....it's be great to utilize either program...if I was going to follow routes....which basically I am not

10 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Thanks for the suggestions on how to create routes guys....it's be great to utilize either program...if I was going to follow routes....which basically I am not

It's always fun to just go out and ride without a route. That's what makes it an adventure.

That route and pics looks fun, I somewhat want to make a weak promise to myself to join you on one of these ride one day.

somewhat wanting IS the definition of a weak promise my Man

• Upvote 1

'ts funny

Few months back on ADV there were almost a half-dozen folks interested in joining in on part of this trip.

Now, less than a week from departure, no one seems to be ready to do it.:yuno:

So...looking like outside of seeing you humps at Fontana, I'll be doing this one solo.

Probably for the best

32 minutes ago, Danimal said:

'ts funny

Few months back on ADV there were almost a half-dozen folks interested in joining in on part of this trip.

Now, less than a week from departure, no one seems to be ready to do it.:yuno:

So...looking like outside of seeing you humps at Fontana, I'll be doing this one solo.

Probably for the best

That kinda sucks. Be careful, have a blast, and take lots of pics. I'll be sitting here working, wishing I was riding. 

Spent the day yesterday doing final prep on the bike and gear.

Oil and filter change, Air filter cleaned and oiled.

Bike's packed and ready to thumb the starter.

Leaving after work tomorrow. It's gonna be a long two work days lol.

• Upvote 2

Good Luck Dan and have fun. I will be starting counter clockwise the SM500 in Tellico Plains with a 4 man fast group on 8th. June.

Maybe we will see you on the trail.

Be watchful, the Smokey Mountain Black Bears are really horny this time of year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, B-Mac said:

Good Luck Dan and have fun. I will be starting counter clockwise the SM500 in Tellico Plains with a 4 man fast group on 8th. June.

Maybe we will see you on the trail.

Be watchful, the Smokey Mountain Black Bears are really horny this time of year.

Thanks B...hope to run into you down there. I should be on the loop at that time, but with no real itinerary who knows. 

46 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Keep us updated man,  love seeing your pics

Got a new camera last week, so am hoping for excellent pictorial documentation (Nikon B500)

If you make it to Fontana you better post up good roads around there me and Max power going to do some trails i'm going to hillbilly it on my grandpas old twin star it's spent most of his life on a gravel road

what's this "if" Bullshit

:shit:

I'll see you in Fontana

:campfire:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danimal said:

that should just about do

739A4EC2-18B7-49D4-8C75-4129961AD9EE_zps

Holy smokes....have you increased your spring rates to haul all that ???   Time to unload a few severed heads, perhaps??

8 hours ago, Qman said:

Holy smokes....have you increased your spring rates to haul all that ???   Time to unload a few severed heads, perhaps??

Yes. Bike is sprung to ride loaded. Kinda too stiff unloaded but a good compromise. 

Less weight than last year when I had all three hard cases on it. 

• Upvote 1

You rolling out this morning? I'll be sure to watch the spot track while I'm stuck at work. :D

Have a safe trip.

2 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

You rolling out this morning? I'll be sure to watch the spot track while I'm stuck at work. :D

Have a safe trip.

got a link for the spot trak?

Have a safe sail luffy, conquer that twisty ocean 

I'm leaving after work. Gonna be the longest day ever. Will try to skate out a bit early, as I'm expected at a friend's place in Kingston Ohio tonight to camp, and it's over 4 hrs out on secondary roads. Don't wanna get there too late.

Still getting used to using the SPOT device. I have a list of folks who get emailed when I send the "I'm Ok" email 

What do I give you guys so you can track me? The ESN number? (ESN 0-3015233)

Pretty sure it's turned off right now.