600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

5 hours ago, hiro said:

Was this mentioned before? http://www.racersedge411.com/

Their advert says payments  OK with 20% down. I don't know much about the place though.

I saw the Buell on there yesterday bu than I found one on craigslist for 1700 dollars.  Tried calling some sellers yesterday, no answer.

Will try again.

Racersedge just allows you to pay on the bike and they will hold it until its completely paid off. But many of the bikes have salvage titles and you have to fix it and get it registered.  Dont have the extra money to try to turn a salvage title into a clear title. I dont know whats involved.

18 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I saw the Buell on there yesterday bu than I found one on craigslist for 1700 dollars.  Tried calling some sellers yesterday, no answer.

Will try again.

Racersedge just allows you to pay on the bike and they will hold it until its completely paid off. But many of the bikes have salvage titles and you have to fix it and get it registered.  Dont have the extra money to try to turn a salvage title into a clear title. I dont know whats involved.

Salvage title bikes are also more difficult/expensive to insure. 

17 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Salvage title bikes are also more difficult/expensive to insure. 

When I was looking into getting the 1000rr there was a salvage titled bike I had some interest in. My insurance company said they'd insure it but it would be the same price to cover it as a clear titled bike. However, if something happened they would not give me as much money/value for it. So pay the same price for a bike valued at say $5500 but only have a replacement value of $3000-$2500. The 2500-3000 is just a number I'm throwing out there because they would not give me a hard number, it could be even lower. I passed on it. If your not going to put full coverage on the it may be an okay way to go. Realize you will take a hit on the resale value as well on a salvage title.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, durk said:

When I was looking into getting the 1000rr there was a salvage titled bike I had some interest in. My insurance company said they'd insure it but it would be the same price to cover it as a clear titled bike. However, if something happened they would not give me as much money/value for it. So pay the same price for a bike valued at say $5500 but only have a replacement value of $3000-$2500. The 2500-3000 is just a number I'm throwing out there because they would not give me a hard number, it could be even lower. I passed on it. If your not going to put full coverage on the it may be an okay way to go. Realize you will take a hit on the resale value as well on a salvage title.

Wow, good to know in advance.

1 hour ago, Qman said:

The SV650 is worth the few extra $ compared to the rest of the bikes discussed, all else being equal.  No comparison.  My $.02.

Yeah, I'd have to say, save up longer.  Or maybe finance a new, left-over with a special deal.

23 hours ago, durk said:

I was going to buy a Savage title car a few years ago and my insurance company said they would not cover any salvage vehicle. I'm sure policy varies between companies. 

On 5/30/2017 at 8:04 AM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Buy that $1400 ex500 and call it a day. That bike is in your price range, doesn't look too abused, was probably dropped once or twice but almost any used starter bike has been dropped. Ex500 is enough power that you won't get bored of it but forgiving enough that a new rider won't get himself into serious trouble. 

Agree.

An EX500 was my first bike, and while it is definitely enough power and weight to get you into trouble, it's also not going to leave you bored any time soon.  I wish I had never sold mine.  I've had 5 or 6 bikes since the EX, and while others were faster, better-looking, fuel-injected, etc., the EX500 was stupid cheap to maintain, and more than adequate for street riding.  The only time it ever felt slow was with a passenger (and then it felt lightning quick after the passenger was gone), or after I spent a weekend at the track on my F2.

usable torque, enough top-end (I think it would legitimately do 115), comfortable riding position...  There's a lot to like, so long as you're not concerned w/ looks.  That said, I saw a guy put a small vinyl decal on his headlight.  It mimicked the shape of the newer Kawasaki headlights.  Totally changed the look of the bike.  Vast improvement.  Probably cost $3 in vinyl adhesive.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't put an aftermarket exhaust on an EX500. 

The sewing machine engine note is appreciated by your neighbors when you're warning it up before work. 

My brother had spark plugs smashed on his bike 2 or 3 times. Can only assume it was because his F1 pipes were crazy loud.

5 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Guess I did it the wrong way, started off of a fully stage 3 jetted and tuned GSXR 750, then went to the TL1000S, then the Vstrom and at last my C14. :dunno:

Similar...started out on a CB700SC Nighthawk S, then vfr, blackbird, R6, FJR, another Vfr, R1200GS, R1200GSA!  

On 5/29/2017 at 7:36 PM, yoshiii said:

How is it in the low gears. One of the problems I had with the 250 Suzuki's in the MRC was that in first gear it sucked going slow and I had trouble with slow maneuvers unless I put the bike into 2nd gear.  I think that is one of the reasons also that the instructor suggested a bigger bike. 

I am tall and will the ninja 250 be comfortable?  I dont want to be uncomfortable riding otherwise it will make it not good for me riding the bike and and will cause problems with me learning to ride better.

I want to get a R3 because it fits me well but need more money

Odds are good if that 250 was jerky while doing low speed maneuvers you just haven't got your clutch control under control. Those little engines have a lot of pulse so if your not smooth on the clutch you're gonna feel it at the wheel. Do the same on a powerful bike and it will take off and leave you behind. Basics are much easier to learn on a smaller more forgiving bike. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Xsr900Rider said:

I am 6'3" started on a 600 f4i and next to a GSXR1000.

How does the XSR 900 compare to the Gixxer 1000 and the F4i? I like how the Yamaha looks like a big engine with some extras like wheels attached to it. ^_^

So the XSR 900 honestly feels very quick but not the top speed of a gsxr1000 but still plenty of power to get you in trouble if your inexperienced. I guess I'd compare it too the f4i with the sprocket conversion which made it a wheelie machine but that power is now available pretty much at any RPM. I run A mode with TC on 1 all the time and I never feel like I need more. I like to seating position and everything about the ergonomics except my knees almost don't fit in the tank cut outs but it is close enough that I don't mind.  Hope that helps, it is definitely a fun ride but not quite a 1000cc level of crazy but not as tame as a f4i either. 

• Upvote 1