600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

2 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

The CBR is better but costs more. For a first bike and city commuter the 250s are great bikes. Fine on hiway too

How is it in the low gears. One of the problems I had with the 250 Suzuki's in the MRC was that in first gear it sucked going slow and I had trouble with slow maneuvers unless I put the bike into 2nd gear.  I think that is one of the reasons also that the instructor suggested a bigger bike. 

I am tall and will the ninja 250 be comfortable?  I dont want to be uncomfortable riding otherwise it will make it not good for me riding the bike and and will cause problems with me learning to ride better.

I want to get a R3 because it fits me well but need more money

12 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

How is it in the low gears. One of the problems I had with the 250 Suzuki's in the MRC was that in first gear it sucked going slow and I had trouble with slow maneuvers unless I put the bike into 2nd gear.  I think that is one of the reasons also that the instructor suggested a bigger bike. 

I am tall and will the ninja 250 be comfortable?  I dont want to be uncomfortable riding otherwise it will make it not good for me riding the bike and and will cause problems with me learning to ride better.

I want to get a R3 because it fits me well but need more money

A 250 cruiser and a 250 ninja are completely different in power, power delivery and handling.

Im starting to wonder about your instructor 

Edited by MidgetTodd

36 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

If getting to work was safer and more convenient, I would save up longer but this is getting not good. Plus I am seeing lots of deals for bikes around 1000-1500 dollars.

Spend another 1000 and by my sv. Perfect first bike and more power than a 500

1 minute ago, rawlins87 said:

Spend another 1000 and by my sv. Perfect first bike and more power than a 500

Sounds cool, but it would take another month to get the rest and I want to get something asap if possible so I can get safely to work and not have to ride a bicycle and or walk 40 mins to get there. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, hiro said:

This is pretty old and might need a few parts or work. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6117058030.html

10 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

This one says $1900 or best offer. Might have some negotiating room.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/6140122297.html

Thanks looks good

3 hours ago, hiro said:

This is pretty old and might need a few parts or work. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6117058030.html

3 hours ago, JustinNck1 said:

This one says $1900 or best offer. Might have some negotiating room.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/6140122297.html

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Buy one of the 250s. It serves your current needs well and you can sell it later for pretty much what you paid.

6 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

I wouldn't buy that one.  Judging by the pics, it's had a rough life.  The CBR250 or Ninja500 would serve you better for that price range.  

Has anyone heard of buying a bike thru ebay like this:

I found a motorcycle for cheap and I was curious about it, I know on craigslist you have to be careful. I thought it was a FZ06 but seems its a different bike. I read the bike model wrong. I noticed after I received the first email.

I left the persons name out incase this is legit.

Here are the emails I received from the person about it:

Email 1: 

The 2009 Yamaha YZF-R is still available. It is in a good condition, no scratches, no damages, never been involved in any kind of accidents. Only 3,842 miles. ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES at all and I have the clean title in hand. I'm selling it at this final price 1,500 because my husband passed away 2 months ago (he had a heart attack) and brings me bad memories and that's the reason I want to sell it asap. I also got a new job, moved back to my hometown, and many other things have priority now, so, this bike has to go. If you are interested in buying my bike, feel free to email me.I also attached more pictures.

Bet regards,

Email 2: Hi again,

As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Omaha, NE. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the bike. It is at the shipping company, ready to be delivered. The shipping cost is included in the selling price of the bike! You got 5 days to test it and inspect the bike. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name
-shipping address
-phone number
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They'll email you with all the information that you need to complete this deal and also they will confirm that the deal is conducted through them and I'm a legitimate seller. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thank you

Email 3: 

You will see these guys are great! I've started the transaction with eBay and asked them to send you the invoice by e-mail, all the instructions and details about your safety and about the sale altogether. After you receive the invoice, in case you decide to buy it you will have to pay through eBay, as they will hold, protect and guarantee your money. You will try it out for 5 days, and if at the end you are happy with it, you can give them the "green light" to release the money to me. Or if not, you can just send it back and get a refund, without paying for the shipping.
Thank you!

P.S. It may take up to 12 hours for eBay to process the information and they will send you the invoice tomorrow morning for sure.

Does this sound legit?

Buy that $1400 ex500 and call it a day. That bike is in your price range, doesn't look too abused, was probably dropped once or twice but almost any used starter bike has been dropped. Ex500 is enough power that you won't get bored of it but forgiving enough that a new rider won't get himself into serious trouble. 

• Upvote 1

@yoshiiicheck Louisville and Lexington Craigslist too for more options if you can trailer one home, Kentucky can sometimes be more reasonable on prices compared to Ohio and those markets are only an hour away. 

Edited by cptchaos
Isername