600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

If you must get a sport bike, get an older one. There are plenty of fz6r's, zx6's, cbr600f2's and gsxr600's from the early to mid 90's on Craigslist. They're pretty fast but under 100 hp. You can find them usually around 2k for one that's not ragged out and for the most part they're easy to work on and parts are fairly cheap and available. 

Or get any katana 600. They're all over the place and are a reasonably sporty starter bike. Motors are basically bullet proof, parts are dirt cheap. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Or get any katana 600. They're all over the place and are a reasonably sporty starter bike. Motors are basically bullet proof, parts are dirt cheap. 

If you do get a katana, do not take it to Coshocton... 

Cursed

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I thought you were a libertarian? :dunno:

You don't have to agree with everyone else who wears that label on every single topic to be included as a member of that group.

In the immortal words of Chris Rock "I've got some shit I'm liberal about, I've got some shit I'm conservative about"

2 minutes ago, magley64 said:

You don't have to agree with everyone else who wears that label on every single topic to be included as a member of that group.

In the immortal words of Chris Rock "I've got some shit I'm liberal about, I've got some shit I'm conservative about"

Personal Freedom without government regulation is the cornerstone of The Libertarian Party. And motorcycling is one of the bigger expressions of that freedom. No you don't have to agree with everything but this is a pretty big contradiction.

13 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Don't know where I said I support our government implementing the system. I just said it's a better system. 

I support it. I also support driving competency exams every 2 years after the age of 65. 

Edited by what
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I'm actually more in favor of banning cars inside city limits than I am of a tiered licensing system. 

Sounds like you should move to Scandinavia.

4 hours ago, dpgasser said:

I've actually come full circle....I have a pretty extensive amount of experience on two wheels and a decent amount of skill, and I have a 2017 KTM 390 Duke on order for curvy back roads and track day duty.

I just picked up a 690 Duke and I really like it. A lot more than I thought I would.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if a great training tool wouldn't be an I4 powered go cart with handlebar control & the same throttle action for people to feel how easy they can break traction on 4 wheels. 

Will be a moot point once we're all on self driving bikes.

5 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

I understand that, what do you consider cheap gear? The price or what things are made of?

17 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

I understand that, what do you consider cheap gear? The price or what things are made of?

Always go for quality. Some brands you pay a lot more for their name than with others even if the quality is the same; do research before you buy, as with anything important. 

11 minutes ago, what said:

Always go for quality. Some brands you pay a lot more for their name than with others even if the quality is the same; do research before you buy, as with anything important. 

I see many different price points and sometimes hard to judge what is best or not. 

Don't spend less than $150 on a new helmet. Anything below that, while technically meeting dot standards, is not going to protect your head as well and will also be heavy and loud. Actually a $150 helmet will be heavy and loud too, but not as bad as a $65 helmet. 

Things to look for in a jacket: for textile the higher denier nylon the better-ish. In a long slide, textile just melts. It also tears kinda easy. Leather is your best bet for protection but gets hot. Some have a mix of leather, perforated leather and textile mesh to help with airflow, I have an agv sport like that. Anyway, for leather plan on dropping a few hundred, a little less for textile and the hybrid jackets are kinda all over the place. 

Gloves: need leather palm and fingers at bare minimum. Fancy plastic knuckle farkles look cool, but nobody slides on their knuckles. Plan on dropping $50-60 at the minimum for a good pair, shop till you find some that fit you just a bit tight, they'll stretch. Cheap gloves have shitty seams that pinch nerves and make fingers go numb.

Pants: I have Kevlar jeans, I also have leathers, and I have a set of armored textiles for when it gets really hot. Plan on dumping a few hundred for leathers, a $100-150 for Kevlar jeans and about $100 for a decent set of textiles. 

Boots:. Need to be designed for motorcycle riding. Enforced toes, moulded ankles, high tops and very secure straps/buckles/wtf ever that keeps them from abandoning your feet in your hour of need. Spend as little or as much as you want. You generally get what you pay for.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Don't spend less than $150 on a new helmet. Anything below that, while technically meeting dot standards, is not going to protect your head as well and will also be heavy and loud. Actually a $150 helmet will be heavy and loud too, but not as bad as a $65 helmet. 

Things to look for in a jacket: for textile the higher denier nylon the better-ish. In a long slide, textile just melts. It also tears kinda easy. Leather is your best bet for protection but gets hot. Some have a mix of leather, perforated leather and textile mesh to help with airflow, I have an agv sport like that. Anyway, for leather plan on dropping a few hundred, a little less for textile and the hybrid jackets are kinda all over the place. 

Gloves: need leather palm and fingers at bare minimum. Fancy plastic knuckle farkles look cool, but nobody slides on their knuckles. Plan on dropping $50-60 at the minimum for a good pair, shop till you find some that fit you just a bit tight, they'll stretch. Cheap gloves have shitty seams that pinch nerves and make fingers go numb.

Pants: I have Kevlar jeans, I also have leathers, and I have a set of armored textiles for when it gets really hot. Plan on dumping a few hundred for leathers, a $100-150 for Kevlar jeans and about $100 for a decent set of textiles. 

Boots:. Need to be designed for motorcycle riding. Enforced toes, moulded ankles, high tops and very secure straps/buckles/wtf ever that keeps them from abandoning your feet in your hour of need. Spend as little or as much as you want. You generally get what you pay for.

ok 

So dont need gloves with the knuckle guard?

Edited by yoshiii

I've been in several bike accidents. Been hit by cars and other bikes, laid one down into a ditch doing about 60, had an old woman obliviously run a stop sign and then stop in the intersection causing me to panic brake and dump it. 

When you hit the ground, your instinct is to sprawl and catch yourself with your hands open. The one time I got any lasting injury was having the front end fold up on me while braking to a stop on blacktop covered in tiny gravel. Was a few blocks from my house. No gloves or jacket. I was doing maybe 10 mph when I went down. Skinned the fuck out of the palms of my hands and my forearms. Took weeks to heal. 

Worry about the parts of your body that will naturally hit the ground. I can maybe see knuckle guards if you're just rag-dolling down the freeway at 70 mph, but if that happens you're gonna break your wrist or elbow and probably other shit too, and the body tends to slide vs tumble, especially in leather. Leather slides nicely along pavement where other materials grip and cause you to brake-dance.

11 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

Don't by cheap gear.

C'mon... it's buy... sheesh...

Figure out where/how you want to ride and then research bikes accordingly... are you planning on doing all day rides?  Make sure you pick something you'll be comfortable on for a long ride (#1 reason why I sold my R6... long legs + more than a 2 hour ride = awful).  Look for bikes suited for your intentions.

There's good advice here, having taken the courses for riding gets you itching to get a bike & get out there riding, but spend some time reading and searching all things moto-related to find a bike that suits you, as well as good gear that will protect you.

But hey, what do I know, I'm not a dude... lol

Edited by tall_tracy
  • Upvote 1

I think of knuckle protectors like knee pads. When they get bruised it triggers the nerves. May be hard to limp home in minor drops. I bruised my knuckles hitting the heavy bag and cringed everytime I pulled the brake yesterday.

plus road rage fights.:mugshot: