600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

Hello

I am new to riding, passed my Ohio Basic Riders course a month ago.  I am 6'1" and about 228lbs. 

I am looking for a 600cc bike to get for my first bike, but as I am looking, I am finding some 1000cc bikes the same price or cheaper than some of the 600cc bikes I am finding.

I am going to buy a sports bike like a R6 or CBR500rr or 600rr or maybe even a Suzuki.

Edited by 2talltim

Just now, Tpoppa said:

Neither a 1000 nor 600cc sportbike is a good choice for a first bike.

My instructor suggested that I get at least a 500cc bike. He noticed how I was having problems on the small 250 bikes at the class and he came up to me and suggested I get sometime bigger, said it would be easier for me to ride.

8 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

I meet a lot of new riders that choose to start on 1000s while I'm at work. I'm usually able to keep most of them alive but the damage is often permanent. 

Take Tpoppas advice. 

This.

You can find a lot of 500-650cc twins for cheap. 60hp is more than enough for a new rider. People do start on 600cc supersports but they are a lot less forgiving and most people will advise against it. As for 1000cc bikes, if you don't have good throttle control and riding habits you will get yourself into trouble really really fast. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Horsepower is more important than engine size.

A Ninja 650 twin is a good choice for a first bike.  A 600cc inline 4 sportbike is not meant for new riders.

Ok so like a CBR.  Not trying to be rocket man, not racing on the streets.

5 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

Show up to an OMRL race and watch what 250 lbs guys can do on a 100cc bike. 

Whoever "instructed" you that a 250 was too small would likely get embarrassed by a good rider on a 250. 

The bike was too small for me and it sucked riding it.

I have had training before so I am not new new.  I just havent had a chance to get a bike. Ohio made me take the class again because they use a different company for the classes.

29 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Thats what the rr stands for.

The 600rr is the one that is discontinued?

RR just means race replica. The cbr600rr is Honda's race replica supersport street legal bike. The cbr1000rr is their race replica superbike that's street legal. 600cc and 1000cc inline 4 bikes are not good for starting out. There are some good recommendations on what might make a good starter bike posted early on in this thread. 

600cc inline 4's will make 100+ horsepower at the wheel, 120+ if they are tuned. A 650cc twin will make 55 horsepower at the rear wheel, much more manageable for someone just starting out. If you want a good, cheap starter bike, 300cc bikes are inexpensive and hold their value pretty well on the used market. If you're uncertain about fit, go to a dealer and sit on a few bikes and see what feels like it fits.

I will tell you that I wish I had started riding on a standard bike instead of a sport bike initially. Being able to ride for longer than a couple hours at a time without feeling like my legs were going to need to be amputated at the knee makes the whole thing so much more enjoyable. 

Edited by what
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Watch the video. The red bike makes less than 80 hp at the crank. Probably close to 65 at the wheel. Eats literbikes for breakfast.  

6'1" and 228 lbs isn't that big. Not sure how that means you should buy a liter bike. 

I am not saying I need a liter bike, I am wondering if I find one for cheaper than a 500 or  650 bike, if its worth buying.

Just now, Isaac's Papa said:

Watch the video. The red bike makes less than 80 hp at the crank. Probably close to 65 at the wheel. Eats literbikes for breakfast.  

6'1" and 228 lbs isn't that big. Not sure how that means you should buy a liter bike. 

@yoshiii I'm 6'6 and skirting 300lbs and I will tell you I don't feel like I need a liter bike. My street triple is more than enough for the street and it's got maybe 105 horsepower at the crank. 

2 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

I am not saying I need a liter bike, I am wondering if I find one for cheaper than a 500 or  650 bike, if its worth buying.

Ultimately it's up to you but 99% of the people on this forum will tell you it's a bad idea. Honestly if you find a 1k for cheaper than a 500 or 650, it is probably fucked up or stolen. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, what said:

Ultimately it's up to you but 99% of the people on this forum will tell you it's a bad idea. Honestly if you find a 1k for cheaper than a 500 or 650, it is probably fucked up or stolen. 

Thats what I was wondering

19 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Insurance will be higher & you will either get fucked up or lose your license first but if you do get a liter bike don't extended swingarm and make the bike useless

• Upvote 1

1 liter sportsbike will be more cramped than a smaller non sportsbike have a play at http://cycle-ergo.com/

I saw my first real life moto course by chance last weekend. One guy was on a tw200. Must have been right at the beginning they were waddling them around the parking lot leaning clutch/throttle feel.:wheelchair:

Is it required these days or did you want to skip the skills test?

5 minutes ago, marlboro man said:

Insurance will be higher & you will either get fucked up or lose your license first but if you do get a liter bike don't extended swingarm and make the bike useless

Ok not eveyone who gets a liter bike for the first bike will crash or die.  I am looking for 500-600 bikes. I kept coming across liter bikes cheaper than the other ones. I was wondering if they

1 minute ago, motocat12 said:

1 liter sportsbike will be more cramped than a smaller non sportsbike have a play at http://cycle-ergo.com/

I saw my first real life moto course by chance last weekend. One guy was on a tw200. Must have been right at the beginning they were waddling them around the parking lot leaning clutch/throttle feel.:wheelchair:

Is it required these days or did you want to skip the skills test?

I have had classes by two different companies.  I wanted to refresh the training I had before since I hadnt bought a bike yet and I wanted to make sure I have good skills before buying a bike.  

A person still have to take a skills test. Instead of taking it at the DMV, you take it in the class. They do not let you breeze by.  

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

R1 is the bike to own, in my opinion. No sense bothering with the others. Suzuki makes garbage and Kawasakis sound like they're coming apart at idle. 

Crossplane R1 and an Icon jacket. 

But isnt that a lot of power for a first bike?

• Upvote 1

SMH, a liter bike for a first bike is just asking for trouble. Save yourself some upfront money, and insurance money and avoid a supersport. Look for SV650, FZ6r, F4i, CBR500/650, Ninja 650. These bikes will feel like a rocket ship compared to the 250 at your MSF course. Then take that saved money and invest in good quality gear or accessories towards the bike you chose. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

BTW, your height and weight aren't as limiting as your think. I rode a R3 when I was 280 pounds and it had enough power to run a decent pace on twisties.

Weight isn't limiting but height is. You guys have no idea how cramped a small big is for us tall guys. You know those dents in the tank where your knees are supposed to tuck into? Yea mine won't fit into most bikes under 600cc even some 600s. Feels like riding spread eagle all the time and my ass is practically sitting on the rear pylon on most of those small bikes. I'll concur with your previous post and bike recommendation. And yea stay away from the R and RR bikes.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Weight isn't limiting but height is. You guys have no idea how cramped a small big is for us tall guys. You know those dents in the tank where your knees are supposed to tuck into? Yea mine won't fit into most bikes under 600cc even some 600s. Feels like riding spread eagle all the time and my ass is practically sitting on the rear pylon on most of those small bikes. I'll concur with your previous post and bike recommendation. And yea stay away from the R and RR bikes.

But a non-supersport bike is designed with more leg room and more forgiving knee angles(ie. lower peg position), which in turn helps taller riders. Much like a naked bike "usually" has more room. There are exceptions of course.