600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

4 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

If you can't find a nice clean used motorcycle in this price range then  you most likely don't know what your looking for or haven't soaked in any of the advice in the last 16 pages. All 3 of the bikes in my garage were picked up in this price range and I gotta say I have 3 damn nice bikes in my garage. All bought with less than 10,000 miles. Fuck all the little nit pick shit. Get something solid and unweathered you can jump on and ride. Lots of changes can be made down the road. Good luck. 

I thought it was good that he found the leaking fork seal. A rusty chain isn't a good sign. It just sounds weather beaten. Owning for only a year, I don't know if I'd want to deal with those issues. Yeah, just need to grab something and gain experience to have a better frame of reference.

I know my brother-in-law would be willing to sell my old 2000 VFR 800 interceptor  (yellow) for way under $3000!  Only got like 80k miles on her!  Seriously, it would probably be a really good bike for someone...Racetech forks and springs, and Penske shock setup for a 200+ pound rider.   Givi 21 Liter panniers included.  Here she was back in the day...

tristar2.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qman said:

I know my brother-in-law would be willing to sell my old 2000 VFR 800 interceptor  (yellow) for way under $3000!  Only got like 80k miles on her!  Seriously, it would probably be a really good bike for someone...Racetech forks and springs, and Penske shock setup for a 200+ pound rider.   Givi 21 Liter panniers included.  Here she was back in the day...

tristar2.jpg

If I had the cash I'd buy that old Viffer. Those gear driven cams sound delightful with the right exhaust..

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, thompsonian said:

If I had the cash I'd buy that old Viffer. Those gear driven cams sound delightful with the right exhaust..

No doubt!  I miss my VFR!  I had a TBR exhaust can on her.  Had several people ask me if it was a V8!

Back to the original post.  I recommend a 1000cc rr for a starter bike for the OP only.  This thread is driving me knuts . In the process of selling my CBR in this guy's price range.  He could buy it & in a short time we'd never have to hear from him again. Nah. Couldn't do it. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

I would guess no, because he would have been all over the FZ6 I just scarfed up.

Yeah, that would have been a nice hook up probably. I get that it's difficult to drive around to look at bikes without a car though. Like he's stuck on a little island and just getting together enough cash for some decent options.

2 hours ago, hiro said:

Yeah, that would have been a nice hook up probably. I get that it's difficult to drive around to look at bikes without a car though. Like he's stuck on a little island and just getting together enough cash for some decent options.

to be honest, what people find more irritating in this scenario has nothing to do with hazing or being the usual OR asshats. But the whole scenario just doesnt add up to make any glimmer of common sense. No car/no transport/but wants bike/ summer about to end  etc etc  To use your own simile "ship wrecked and stuck in an island with canoes boats ships all around but waiting for a jet ski" 

3 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

to be honest, what people find more irritating in this scenario has nothing to do with hazing or being the usual OR asshats. But the whole scenario just doesnt add up to make any glimmer of common sense. No car/no transport/but wants bike/ summer about to end  etc etc  To use your own simile "ship wrecked and stuck in an island with canoes boats ships all around but waiting for a jet ski" 

True. I'm thinking about giving up my old car before I move, but it almost doesn't make sense to only have a bike in a new state with no job. Especially since it will probably be in October.

Anyway, I would wait to ski behind a jet ski, so I'd have to wait for the jet ski AND the skis!