600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

Have you been saving more during this period? Is the budget UpTo 2.5k by now which opens up a lot more options?

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6188166156.html

good size and ample power for ur size. This might be had for 1.7ish. Start at 1.5 in person and finish  at 1.7

not that high mile for sooky and it's FI afaik 

go for it, close to you, go see with $ in hand and be done with this. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

2 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Thanks, yes contacted aready earlier this week. Going to meet owner next week if they still have the bike. I am out of town.

I read somewhere that it has less power than the ninja 500

Good luck, don't worry about power it has more than enough for starter. There is a good chance it's a female owner you be dealing with. 

10 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I am going to make sure I get a bike best for me. Also have to find one. If its sold before. I get to it .?

It would be better to get a newer bike vs an older 80s VF Honda... Both of those Suzuki's would be fine.....

So a question.... What do you want?????

Edited by mello dude

11 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I am going to make sure I get a bike best for me. Also have to find one. If its sold before. I get to it .?

It's a starter bike it doesn't have to be the best for you. Just get something cheap and deal with it.

16 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I swear to whatever being you pray to, I will burn this mother fucker to the ground. Holy fuck! Stop posting new CL links. 

Let me get this straight. If I post a CL link in here you lock the thread? Tempting 

• Upvote 1

Well,

I checked out the yellow Suzuki GS500F on craigslist The price went down from 2200 to 1600 by the time I checked out the bike today.

Checked forks, the right fork had some oil when I rubbed my finger on the middle inside of it.  When I sat on the bike, I saw that around the fork seal on the right, there was lots of wet oil and a big build up. The left fork and fork seal was fine.

The chain was rusted badly, the manual and tool kit was missing, the rear rotor had lots of rust on it, the front was fine. The bottom front point part of the bottom of the bike faring was cracked badly, the handle bar ends had lots of rust on the inside of it, couldnt tell how the brake fluid looked, the plastic small window to check the level was cloudy from age and could not see inside.  Could not find a oil view port but the oil cap had a built in dip stick, the oil was very clean as if brand new. Parts of the bike had the paint pealing off, the body paint wasnt bad, parts of the underside of the bike were rusty, the exhaust pipe was ok, clutch felt alittle loose, not tight, bike seemed as if the rpms was dropping too low and was about to shut off, but I dont know enough about bikes to know how they should sound and how this bike series sounds.

The bike looks as if it has been kept outside for a long time uncovered. The bike was stored outside when I saw it first today.

Compared to the 1987 Honda interceptor I checked out before, this bike was a 2002 but in worse shape. I say the honda was in the A range as far as condition and looks, the Suzuki was in the C/-C almost D range.

I think if I bought this bike, I would offer the owner 800-900 dollars. Does this seem a good price?

Went to the Honda dealer today, sat on the Honda CBR500r (6000 dollars) new, Kawaski 2016 300 Ninja used (4,000 dollars) and the Honda CBR 300r (4,300 dollars new? used?)

I felt comfortable on all of them. The Honda CBR 500r felt lighter than the Suzuki GS500F I checked out today. The store has a three month layaway. I dont want to try a loan, dont want any more loans,  Maybe I should put them in layaway.  I just recieved a raise at work and if I work some OT hours for the next 1 and half month, I could get one of the 300cc bikes. 

I found a person selling a 2001 Yamaha R6, from the picture and from what the owner told me, it needs front signal lights, and the carbs cleaned. They want 1000 dollars for it.

Tried to meet the person today, but will try for tomorrow again. 

I can find bikes, but the owners are not doing a good job of responding back or some of the places are an hour to two hours away. I do not have a car.

I am not going to buy the Suzuki GS500F, I think the owner wants too much money for it (1600 dollars) and I dont know what else might be wrong with the bike. Thats expensive repairs it needs.

What does everyone think about it?

Well going to look more for bikes and try to meet the owners.

I do know now, I do want a sports bike, not a rr( a R6 would be nice).

19 minutes ago, rawlins87 said:

Your price is going to get you a beater bike. Unless you wait for winter than you can get some good deals.  Sounds like you passed up a good deal with the Honda by being cheap.

Was worried about the weight.  

Want to ride before winter time, the bike will not be for only relax riding. It will be my everyday transportation.

Thinking now that I might just get a bike from the dealer.

Just a couple of more weeks and bikes 3000 and under are no problem.

2 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Was worried about the weight.  

Want to ride before winter time, the bike will not be for only relax riding. It will be my everyday transportation.

Thinking now that I might just get a bike from the dealer.

Just a couple of more weeks and bikes 3000 and under are no problem.

You have to RIDE the bike to be sure of the weight or anything. Getting to $2500-3000, you should find something easy. BTW, the R6 is basically an RR. It's a super sport.

22 minutes ago, what said:

make sure to find out what brand oil the previous owner uses, 1 or 2 of the major brands can run 0.5 - 1 degree hotter than the others. 

Also check and make sure the air has been switched to Summer Air. That Winter Air can rot the tires.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

Also check and make sure the air has been switched to Summer Air. That Winter Air can rot the tires.

Verify the condition of the muffler bearings and the turn signal fluid.  You'll want to stock up on spoke conditioner and buy a sprocket sharpener.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Qman said:

Verify the condition of the muffler bearings and the turn signal fluid.  You'll want to stock up on spoke conditioner and buy a sprocket sharpener.

I always check mine with a left handed crescent wrench...

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Just a couple of more weeks and bikes 3000 and under are no problem

If you can't find a nice clean used motorcycle in this price range then  you most likely don't know what your looking for or haven't soaked in any of the advice in the last 16 pages. All 3 of the bikes in my garage were picked up in this price range and I gotta say I have 3 damn nice bikes in my garage. All bought with less than 10,000 miles. Fuck all the little nit pick shit. Get something solid and unweathered you can jump on and ride. Lots of changes can be made down the road. Good luck. 

Edited by Killer_kaw
  • Upvote 2