600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

1 hour ago, Connie14 said:

I just caught up on this thread and my head hurts. I want my time back.

We should start a contest to see how much many pages this thread will become before he buys a bike.

Or if he gets a bike before he moves back to Japan.

• Upvote 2

Yoshii -- How about this one? If you can get to Lexington, a Nighthawk is a reasonable starter bike. If the bike is as in the photos - grab it. Price is fair, and miles is good. Do it!  

https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/6175626150.html

Edited by mello dude
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, mello dude said:

Yoshii -- How about this one? If you can get to Lexington, a Nighthawk is a reasonable starter bike. If the bike is as in the photos - grab it. Price is fair, and miles is good. Do it!  

https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/6175626150.html

Gets the Hiro stamp of approval--worth its weight in dirty water. Standard seating position. Rear drum brake, probably less likely to lock up. Single front disc...pads will cost less? Air-cooled, on the positive side, fewer parts to go bad. Looks nice. A 750 should have decent power. The rear seat should work well with a net or tail bag. No fairings to break.

What's up with the pipe under the right side? Rust?

• Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Holy shit. Air cooled, drum brakes and single disk is better? Nothing wrong with that bike but that is some messed up shit.

If you think that's messed up shit then stay tuned for page 16! Guessing it's not getting any better. Pretty sure I'll have another bike in the garage before this thread ends. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

Holy shit. Air cooled, drum brakes and single disk is better? Nothing wrong with that bike but that is some messed up shit.

For you and me, yah, that's messed up.. ..For a raw beginner, who has few mechanical skills and wont be doing track days, with around 65hp and a flat torque curve, the classic UJM is ok for a starter bike. 

Edited by mello dude
  • Upvote 1

On 6/16/2017 at 10:32 PM, hiro said:

How common is a big cruiser in Japan? It might be interesting to ride one while you can. We have the roads for them!

They have crusiers. Lots of Harleys over there.  Lots of dealerships.  Also Yamaha and a couple of the other bike manufacturers make cruiser bikes, so better looking than Harleys.

The roads are not so small over there as you might think, especially around Yokohama and Tokyo and inbetween, etc.  There are some small roads in old neighborhoods but those are where there are lots of houses crammed togther in.  The highways are the same size or bigger than Ohio, and much nicer.

9 hours ago, hiro said:

This is probably way too small, but it can be had for $1200. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6180888481.html

Thank you but that is the bike I do not want, they had them in Class and trust me, too small and uncomfortable for me.

Edited by yoshiii

9 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

They have crusiers. Lots of Harleys over there.  Lots of dealerships.  Also Yamaha and a couple of the other bike manufacturers make cruiser bikes, so better looking than Harleys.

The roads are not so small over there as you might think, especially around Yokohama and Tokyo and inbetween, etc.  There are some small roads in old neighborhoods but those are where there are lots of houses crammed togther in.  The highways are the same size or bigger than Ohio, and much nicer.

Hakone and norikuya are some I remember to be part of bucket list from Japan 

Edited by NinjaDoc

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Hakone and norikuya are some I remember to be part of bucket list from Japan 

Yes Hakone, beautiful, so much there, hot springs (not like American hot springs) , food, scenery, lots of good places to drive, and see the ocean too.  Some people drift down the mountain, I wouldnt do it, dangerous, small railings, and parts of the mountain are very curvy.

Edited by yoshiii

1 hour ago, yoshiii said:

Wow, did not know all that. Isn't the speed limit around Toukyou (Yeah, I know it looks funny.) like 25mph?

2 hours ago, mello dude said:

For you and me, yah, that's messed up.. ..For a raw beginner, who has few mechanical skills and wont be doing track days, with around 65hp and a flat torque curve, the classic UJM is ok for a starter bike. 

That's what I was thinking. Decent for a beginner. I had to reach deep to pull up something good about a single front disc! Rear brakes though, my rear disc slides so easy. I'm glad I had ABS on my first bike. On the Ninja 650, even with dual front discs, I wish they felt more responsive. Too responsive is not as good for a /complete/ noob. heh Upper echelon noob, yes. haha

Wow, it's only 65hp? What's the peak torque? A flat curve does sound good. I kinda expected a little more from a 750 4-banger. Sounds like decent power though.

No coolant, no coolant debate!!!  :guitar:

Anyway, I said my stamp of approval was worth its weight in dirty water, so...

unless your really really digging for deals and hidden gems the rule of thumb to save time is to always ignore most CL ads like these >   single picture ads,  very short  generic description ads, "selling for my husband " ad , most ' no phone number listed'  

28 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

unless you're really really digging for deals and hidden gems the rule of thumb to save time is to always ignore most CL ads like these >   single picture ads,  very short  generic description ads, "selling for my husband " ad , most ' no phone number listed'  

Getting scammed out of the $ may be the only way to end this thread.

brb   , going to post some craigslist ads with insider psyops info.

Edited by motocat12

Cruisers...

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6185432163.html

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6168266173.html

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6185695481.html

Yeah, I created a saved search for the Cinci area and I'm surprised by the number of suspicious adverts. Maybe because I'm searching $2000 and less? I don't recall seeing that many searching C-bus up to $4000.