600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

5 minutes ago, mello dude said:

Chances are on a 1500 dollar bike, there is something that needs fixing. Can you deal with that? 

As long as it is not too expensive and someone, or a manual can show me what to do.  I work on cars, mainly Japanese cars, mainly skylines lol

But used to working on cars and working on things like certain parts of the engines, fuel system, transmission, etc.

Edited by yoshiii

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

Have you set aside money for proper gear? I know it is commonly overlooked.

Saving for that too.

Found the jacket, gloves, pants and helmet I want to start off with.

Need to find some boots.  Deciding between the racing type boots or more dirtbike looking boots. Whatever it is, want to make sure they are comfortable to walk around in.

2 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Think i'd buy a inexpensive car before I bought a bike as my primary, but maybe that's too logical for Ohio living :dunno: 

Hey, my bike/s are my primary means of transportation all year long here in northern Ohio.  However, I'm no rookie.  Also, I have so much invested in bikes, maintenance/upkeep, gear, etc, that it would have been much better financially to just buy a civic.  :lol:

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

Hey, my bike/s are my primary means of transportation all year long here in northern Ohio.  However, I'm no rookie.  Also, I have so much invested in bikes, maintenance/upkeep, gear, etc, that it would have been much better financially to just buy a civic.  :lol:

Where I live in Japan, everyday use is normal.  I will get a car if necessary but since leaving in about a year, dont want to put money into a car unless I really want too

I want to ride and its only me, no girlfriend so its cool

I can use my family's car if I need to use a car.

• Upvote 3

I agree too.  The $1,800 bike is probably better, but I didn't realize at first that it's in Columbus and with you in Cincinnati, that makes it a problem.  The 97 Ninja 500 is by far the best deal put up on this thread and it actually has a phone number in the ad, which makes it probably legit.  Call about this ASAP and don't let it get sold before you can get it.  I would ask to come test it out with it not having been already warmed up, if possible.  Once a bike is running, it is sometimes easier to shut it off and then start it back up, but has issues starting up when it is cold.  As long as it starts and runs alright, you can address any other minor issues once you have it.

Go get it!

Edited by Butch
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, hiro said:

97 Kawasaki ninja 500 - $1000

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6175777296.html

(rebuilt) 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R - $1000

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6174967376.html

Thanks, I will contact them.

Today I saw the Honda VF700 Interceptor.

Nice bike, maintained, the guy selling it is a actual bike mechanic.  He showed me some things about the bike, He showed me the difference in the throttles feel with a bike that is not too powerful vs one that has a sensitive ready to race throttle. Didnt have time to ride it or anything, he had to leave soon. Going to meet again tomorrow for more detail about the ride etc for the bike.

Its a nice looking bike. The seats little low but not as low as the 250s from the bike class.  It was kind of heavy but felt comfortable to sit on.

Edited by yoshiii

1 hour ago, hiro said:

No the person selling it doesnt have it on craigslist. I found this person thru another person. He is part of the motorcycle scene in Cincinnati.

This is the bike (not the one he is selling but a pic of what it looks like :

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVzhti0FZW.sAtkVXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0ZXVidmp0BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjM5MTlfMQRzZWMDcGl2cw--?p=honda+vf700+interceptor&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Ftenwheel.com%2Fimgs%2Fa%2Fa%2Fi%2Fi%2Fr%2F1985_honda_interceptor_vf700___700_750__video_3_lgw.jpg&action=click

He said that the shock was upgraded with a modern CBR shock and that the forks were upgraded too for better handling.

9 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

He said that the shock was upgraded with a modern CBR shock and that the forks were upgraded too for better handling.

Sounds pretty good. Riding with trucks, I'd want more power than a 250 has anyway.

Somewhat tested the bike, was tired so didnt ride it. Its heavy. Did the walk with light throttle with it. The honda VF700. 

I like it but I am concerned about the weight. It is 485 lbs dry, 505 lbs wet.  I wonder if I should get a lighter bike first.

I am going to check out some other bikes.

41 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Somewhat tested the bike, was tired so didnt ride it. Its heavy. Did the walk with light throttle with it. The honda VF700. 

I like it but I am concerned about the weight. It is 485 lbs dry, 505 lbs wet.  I wonder if I should get a lighter bike first.

I am going to check out some other bikes.

Weight doesn't mean as much once it's moving, unless you're into high performance. Just never stop with the front wheel turned! It's probably a feather compared to some big touring bikes!

Contacted the owner of the Ninja 500 on the cincinnati Craigslist a couple of days ago. As of a couple of days ago he still had the bike.  He hasnt answered my question about the miles on the bike and if he is in cincinnati. I told him I want to come and check out the bike.

Whats with the craigslist people?

Edited by yoshiii

1 minute ago, hiro said:

The 1997 Ninja 500 states 7xxx miles. Call it 8000 which is nothing.

I see, but the person never contacted me back about meeting so I could see the bike after I let them know that I want to check out the bike.