600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

Jeff posted a nice EX250 (2008 - the good-looking body style) on the OMRL facebook page.  $1800 and it has less than 11,000 miles. 

Perfect first bike.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/317652788389075/

Per my conversation (posted on that FS thread), he's looking to free up funds for something else.  Make him a cash offer.  Worst he can say is "no."

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

For one thing, a motorcycle will not be practical during winter, unless you take the risk and spend even more money on winter gear. So a cheap car sounds more practical right now. Plus, if a car breaks down, you're not likely to get hurt. It isn't about loving the car. It's about transportation to get money to get what you want and need. You can find cars under $10,000 that are nice, but probably have higher mileage. Not making payments is smart, but more for people who either have plenty of money or who drive a cheap car for transportation. Or paid off the car and kept it for years. So, either make payments or pay cash for a cheap car. Save money and get a decent bike this winter or next riding season.

Did i miss a claim that he was going to ride year-round?

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Not giving you a hard time, bit what is the plan for 6 months from now when there is snow and ice and blizzards,

He's in Cincinnati.  There won't be as much of that.  (plus Al Gore says our dirty dirty bike exhaust is making the planet warmer anyway)

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Not giving you a hard time, bit what is the plan for 6 months from now when there is snow and ice and blizzards,

By then will have a better job or at least two jobs. I will buy a car than if need too.  From what I have been told, it has not snowed or had blizzards in this part of ohio much for a few years now and most winters have been warmer.

I want to get my bike riding in now, I have been waiting for a few years now.  Plus I will be in Japan by next summer I could be gone back as soon as winter. So purpose is for me to save up money for going back to Japan get another job. If I find a nice bike, I can take it back with me. 

Thats why I dont want car payments. Dont want to have a loan on something and than go back to Japan.

I have talked with the owner of the bike, explained to him that in a couple of weeks I will have 1800. I told him I will check to see if he still has the bike then.  Also the owner of the Honda VF700 only wants 1500.  I need to see the bike and see how I fit and check if its too heavy for me.Of course if something comes along and I have the money for it and it fits and is in good working order, and I like it I will buy it.

1 hour ago, yoshiii said:

By then will have a better job or at least two jobs. I will buy a car than if need too.  From what I have been told, it has not snowed or had blizzards in this part of ohio much for a few years now and most winters have been warmer.

I want to get my bike riding in now, I have been waiting for a few years now.  Plus I will be in Japan by next summer I could be gone back as soon as winter. So purpose is for me to save up money for going back to Japan get another job. If I find a nice bike, I can take it back with me. 

Thats why I dont want car payments. Dont want to have a loan on something and than go back to Japan.

I have talked with the owner of the bike, explained to him that in a couple of weeks I will have 1800. I told him I will check to see if he still has the bike then.  Also the owner of the Honda VF700 only wants 1500.  I need to see the bike and see how I fit and check if its too heavy for me.Of course if something comes along and I have the money for it and it fits and is in good working order, and I like it I will buy it.

Oh, if you're going back to Japan next summer, then you do need the bike now. Sooner the better. But I wouldn't ship it to Japan. I mean, the bikes come from Japan! haha Shipping is an expense and it could get damaged. A cheap bike probably would not be worth it unless it is a collector's item.

It's possible to get something on payments, then sell it later to pay off the loan. As long as you don't damage it.

1 minute ago, durk said:

It says the transmission is automatic. That should make a good 1st bike right?

Yikes. Either someone pretending to not know about the bike, really doesn't know, or someone crashed without a helmet!

If the $1,800 Ninja is still available I'd buy that thing ASAP.  Anything you find on Craigslist is suspect to start with, and if the ad doesn't have a phone number you might as well not waste your time.  I scanned the Cincinnati craigslist just to see what you had available and only saw like 1 or 2 ads that were close to what you are looking for, and neither of them were any better than the Ninja.  Plus you have someone from this site recommending the seller.  I would trust anyone on this site without knowing them much more than anyone you are dealing with on Craigslist. 

Good Luck

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2017 at 10:44 AM, yoshiii said:

I have looked for them. Dont have the 2500 yet.

Wont until sometime in July unless get 2nd job.  Which is hard because it will be hard to get to second job without vehicle. 

Trying to find what I can now.

I'll be in Ohio in July. But my sv then.

Buy a Ninja 250. I'm 6'2" 220 and my first bike was a Ninja 250. Rode it for a year and 5000 miles and sold it for about the same price. Carbs are not a problem if your ride regularly. If it has a carb it has a choke. No big deal, pull it out when you start up the bike and push it back in when its warm. My Ninja had carbs and so does my current DRZ400. 

If you are looking for budget transportation then the EX250 is a good idea also. Better than 60 mpg and inexpensive tires that last a long time. Bigger sport bikes go through expensive tires pretty quickly. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

Buy a Ninja 250. I'm 6'2" 220 and my first bike was a Ninja 250. Rode it for a year and 5000 miles and sold it for about the same price. Carbs are not a problem if your ride regularly. If it has a carb it has a choke. No big deal, pull it out when you start up the bike and push it back in when its warm. My Ninja had carbs and so does my current DRZ400. 

If you are looking for budget transportation then the EX250 is a good idea also. Better than 60 mpg and inexpensive tires that last a long time. Bigger sport bikes go through expensive tires pretty quickly. 

I have already talked to the owner of one. The one listed here. I also have a chance to buy a Honda VF700 Interceptor for 1500 dollars.

Edited by yoshiii

8 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Only thing this thread has resolved is he wants a bike that is classed somewhere between these two bikes. :dunno:

4c90f82134e4c29e3ff7c896b333e8e8.jpg.fc79808a54573a34b7998c3c7044aa20.jpg

wp1882507.thumb.jpg.bf3b9839e17cf6046d7640d48dff308b.jpg

Just want a good bike.

Tomorrow I am going to see the VF, but the Ninja is in Columbus and I am in Cincinnati, I do not have a car. So I have to find a way to see the bike before I even talk of buying it. 

Edited by yoshiii

13 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Just want a good bike.

Tomorrow I am going to see the VF, but the Ninja is in Columbus and I am in Cincinnati, I do not have a car. So I have to find a way to see the bike before I even talk of buying it. 

acb2bca68380f178f7d19f82be5aa451.jpg.203377cecb7da1b6389892c905ca9c52.jpg

• Upvote 2