600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

15 minutes ago, hiro said:

Understood. The problem is, shopping at such a low price point is difficult, as you know. Nothing it likely to be ideal without some extra work, expense, or compromise. I, too, am very (read overly) thoughtful about what I choose to buy. Even then, I end up regretting my purchase in some way! After I get over that, I just work with what I have.

My searches were generally $2000-4000, with most options starting closer to $2500. In both cases, I paid $3800 for a bike, not including tax, and both bikes had around 1700 miles on them. An eerie coincidence. The bigger bike was just older at the time of purchase.

I want to have that much, I hope I can get that much but at this point I only have about 1500 dollars. I need transportation, car is too expensive right now, bike is best for me, plus I want to ride. 

1 hour ago, yoshiii said:

I want to have that much, I hope I can get that much but at this point I only have about 1500 dollars. I need transportation, car is too expensive right now, bike is best for me, plus I want to ride. 

I wonder if it would help to open up your search to include cruisers and scooters. This is also prime time for riding, so bikes are selling for higher prices, I guess.

6 minutes ago, hiro said:

https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/6164529600.html

(The other link didn't work for me.)

The price is right. Standard seating position? Needs some work on both left turn signals? Might need new tires, but they look small (less expensive) and there should be rebate deals. Seems like a good option for a year. And it's a Honda.

This might night be a serious option due to the age, but I thought it was cool that it's an 4-banger. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6150474690.html

4 hours ago, hiro said:

The price is right. Standard seating position? Needs some work on both left turn signals? Might need new tires, but they look small (less expensive) and there should be rebate deals. Seems like a good option for a year. And it's a Honda.

This might night be a serious option due to the age, but I thought it was cool that it's an 4-banger. https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6150474690.html

Hmmm I see thoughts of cafe racer here 

• Upvote 1

With modern bikes and older bikes, what is the big difference between having a fuel injected bike vs carbs?  All of the bikes I rode at the classes I took were fuel injected.

Whats the down side of having a carb bike?

1 hour ago, yoshiii said:

With modern bikes and older bikes, what is the big difference between having a fuel injected bike vs carbs?  All of the bikes I rode at the classes I took were fuel injected.

Downsides for carbs would be be cleaning, maybe more frequent maintenance due to ethanol, and dealing with the choke. (I've never had a bike with carbs, but I had cars with them, but they had automatic chokes.) For short rides, it might be a pain. The downside of fuel injection might be jerky throttle response as it opens or closes. They also require an electronic device for tuning like a Power Commander.

Another thing is, if you get a carb'ed bike, would you want to clean 2 or 4 of them?? I know a guy who has a V4 and he does not want to even think of pulling the carbs out. heh They're sandwiched in the "V."

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

Analysis Paralysis

This is no bullshit.  I am guilty of this on random things.  Right now it's a replacement 9mm CCW gun.  I probably could have bought something with the cash that I have spent visiting the local retailers.  Make myself crazy over $50.  On the other hand it does keep me occupied and out of trouble for the most part.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Downside carbs = Cherohala skyway  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hiro said:

Downsides for carbs would be be cleaning, maybe more frequent maintenance due to ethanol, and dealing with the choke. (I've never had a bike with carbs, but I had cars with them, but they had automatic chokes.) For short rides, it might be a pain. The downside of fuel injection might be jerky throttle response as it opens or closes. They also require an electronic device for tuning like a Power Commander.

Another thing is, if you get a carb'ed bike, would you want to clean 2 or 4 of them?? I know a guy who has a V4 and he does not want to even think of pulling the carbs out. heh They're sandwiched in the "V."

Inline 4 do require a different technique for operation than injection but I had outstanding performance on my thundercat after a clean and balance. I never worried about clogs as I rode regularly and ran techron a couple times a year. Last fall I resurrected a 90s virago with carbs and once clean and balanced it was straight too. Carbs aren't bad once you know their limits and how they behave. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jschaf said:

Analysis Paralysis

This guy is really trying to help you. Find a bike you like and can afford. Go buy it and ride it. It does not matter if it's carb or fuel injection if it runs well. Chances are you will be looking to sell it and upgrade at some point anyway. This is your 1st bike and more than likely not your last bike you'll ever buy. I understand you are looking to spend almost all the money you have and that's scary. For $1500 realize you probably are not going to find a perfect bike. I would say the 1988 500 ninja that was mentioned at some point has been your best option. Go buy that thing and ride the crap out of it. 

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6117058030.html

This thing was posted a month ago. Give him $1000 and you have money left over for gear. There are over 280 posts here, if you don't have enough information by now you probably never will. 

• Upvote 3

Oh, and the reason why many might seem like scams is because of the low price range. If you see a bike that shouldn't be priced $1000-2000, something is likely wrong. Like a GSXR or something.

Edited by hiro

On 6/10/2017 at 10:46 PM, durk said:

This guy is really trying to help you. Find a bike you like and can afford. Go buy it and ride it. It does not matter if it's carb or fuel injection if it runs well. Chances are you will be looking to sell it and upgrade at some point anyway. This is your 1st bike and more than likely not your last bike you'll ever buy. I understand you are looking to spend almost all the money you have and that's scary. For $1500 realize you probably are not going to find a perfect bike. I would say the 1988 500 ninja that was mentioned at some point has been your best option. Go buy that thing and ride the crap out of it. 

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/6117058030.html

This thing was posted a month ago. Give him $1000 and you have money left over for gear. There are over 280 posts here, if you don't have enough information by now you probably never will. 

Yes I need to buy, well in two weeks i will have about 2000 dollars, maybe I should be alittle patient.  

The two bikes I am looking at now from the people that was suggested to buy their bikes, the Ninja 250 Ex for 1800 and a Honda VF700 for 1500, they are both carb bikes. Dont know what a choke is so dont know if they have one. My car in Japan was a inline, and I have had to do things with injectors before so not worried if its a injected bike, the carb is what I am worried about. Dont want a ton of maintenance bills after buying a carb bike.  I do not know anyone who knows how to fix bikes, so I would be at the mercy of the shops here, and I dont trust shops here, because I know that some will try to rip you off. Not a big problem in Japan like here.

Dont want a heavy bike either as a first bike.

Edited by yoshiii

11 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Yes I need to buy, well in two weeks i will have about 2000 dollars, maybe I should be alittle patient.  

The two bikes I am looking at now from the people that was suggested to buy their bikes, the Ninja 250 Ex for 1800 and a Honda VF700 for 1500, they are both carb bikes. Dont know what a choke is so dont know if they have one. My car in Japan was a inline, and I have had to do things with injectors before so not worried if its a injected bike, the carb is what I am worried about. Dont want a ton of maintenance bills after buying a carb bike.  I do not know anyone who knows how to fix bikes, so I would be at the mercy of the shops here, and I dont trust shops here, because I know that some will try to rip you off. Not a big problem in Japan like here.

Dont want a heavy bike either as a first bike.

Find a CBR 250, they're injected... And they're not hard to find in the $2000 to $2500 range

I like my heavy bike...lol

7 minutes ago, magley64 said:

2003 or newer to avoid carburetors on the sv650... Great choice as well.

I have looked for them. Dont have the 2500 yet.

Wont until sometime in July unless get 2nd job.  Which is hard because it will be hard to get to second job without vehicle. 

Trying to find what I can now.

40 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

That's kind of silly if you ask me. Just tuck away your dollars and buy a bike this fall/winter. Will get one even cheaper. 

I mentioned before, where I work, I have to either ride a bicycle or take a bus which the nearest bus stop is still 40 mins away from work after I get off of the bus.  The bus doesnt always come for the times I need it to get to and from work. Sometimes I have to ride a bike.  Part of the way there is a very busy industrial road with semis, trucks, etc. Dangerous.  Plus where I live the bus doesnt really come often and doesnt come on Sunday.  Purpose of motorcycle will be to have a way to get to work(only takes 10 -15 mins by car.) And for me to be able to look for a better job outside of the area where I live, not many places close by. Sometimes I work night sometimes day.  More Dangerous to ride or walk on the part of the area which is going to work at night. There are not any street lights. No bus if I have to work nights. Plus dangerous to walk nights anyway.

I have arrived in the country from living overseas, so no car.   So its either buy a shitty car and waste money and turn around and buy a better car and motorcycle , or get a motorcycle, something cheap for first bike.  So next year I can have enough money saved up to buy a nice bike. I am not waiting until winter to buy a bike. I am not wasting money on buying a car under 10,000 dollars which most likely will be a car I dont like and one with problems.  Unless I come across someone selling a nice car for cheap.  Plus I dont want car payments.