600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

Hello everyone,

I found two bikes, both from racers edge both salvage title. One is a Suzuki GS500F missing its cowling and front light.  Its 1,100 dollars. The store sells aftermarket naked bike headlight kits for the bike or as I found on ebay, replacement cowls are not that expensive.

The store also has a Kawasaki Ninja 300 2015 model. They want 2800 dollars for it. The store says it has some minor scratches but is fine.

With racersedge they let you put money down on the bike and pay monthly until its payed off then you can have the bike. The GS500F I can buy now, the Ninja I would have to do payments.

I did some research into the GS500F, seems its a heavy bike. Is this a good beginner bike?

Should I go for one of these deals? Or be patient?

I continue to run into scams on Craigslist and people not responding to emails or not answering the phone that they give out the number to call.

15 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Expensive to change the title to clean?

Can't be done, once salvaged it's always salvaged.  Unless you commit fraud and bounce it through a few States that have loopholes.

15 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/6155450386.html

wonder what he is trying to say about mileage 

Good thing we have our very own SV650 test rider here that made sure the engine will go 120k+ hard miles before it starts burning oil so long as it is maintained. 

• Upvote 1

I would only consider clean-title bikes, unless I wanted a project and maybe had another bike to ride.  RacersEdge had some clean-titled bikes last time I looked.

If you can find a new bike left over from 2016, 2015, or 2014, you could save money on that. It should also qualify for special finance deals, like low or 0% interest or customer cash depending on the manufacturer. (Oh, the amount financed must be a certain minimum amount. So check for that.)

For example.

2015 Ninja 300, $3700
2015 YZF-R3, $3700

2013 CBR500R, $4000
2013 SFV650, $4500

2015 Ninja 650, $5000
2015 V-strom 650 ABS, $5500

Edited by hiro

My friend Jeff, from OMRL, has a late generation EX250 for sale for $1800 right now.  11,xxx miles.

Jeff has done all the maintenance on this bike that you would want before buying it.  New brake pads, fresh oil, clean air filter, etc.  I'm not sure he has an LLC or anything like that, but his shop is "River 2-strokes." 

It's black.  Looks good.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and ride the piss out of it.

Edited by redkow97

10 hours ago, redkow97 said:

My friend Jeff, from OMRL, has a late generation EX250 for sale for $1800 right now.  11,xxx miles.

Jeff has done all the maintenance on this bike that you would want before buying it.  New brake pads, fresh oil, clean air filter, etc.  I'm not sure he has an LLC or anything like that, but his shop is "River 2-strokes." 

It's black.  Looks good.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and ride the piss out of it.

Found the Facebook page, do they have a website?

1 hour ago, hiro said:

Thanks, I joined the group.  Which would be better, the Ninja 250 or the Honda Interceptor vf700 ?  I want to make sure the bike is not too small and I wont grow out of it quick.  I plan on using the bike as a daily commuter.

Edited by yoshiii

12 minutes ago, what said:

Flip a coin. There's 11 pages of people recommending things.

Craigslist has turned out to be not good. So the ones suggested from that are a no at this point.

The Honda Interceptor and the the Ninja 250 mentioned by Hiro are the only ones I have actual real contact with the sellers. 

6 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Just buy a damn bike already. This has gone on too long & your thread is starting to get on my nerves.

Well, I am spending money on something that is not cheap, I dont have money to buy something and than say oops.   I want to make a good decision, if its bothering you, than dont read the posts.   I could have bought the Katana, but because I asked about it, I learned that it is heavy and not a good bike, did more research into it.  The bikes people suggested I went to the sites on craigslist to check it out.

The ad owners are not responding to my mails, except for the scammers.  So I check craigslist everyday, Racersedge, etc.  I dont have lots of money so my choice is small.

If a bike is not good, I do not want to buy it.

If it is better to buy a more modern bike than a 20 year old bike then I will do that.  I am new and learning. 

If I had the money to spend, I would have bought certain bikes already. I dont, so the ones I am finding at the price range I have are ones I do not know much about.

I bought two bikes on Craigslist and sold one on Craigslist. From what I experienced, sellers have much more trouble than buyers. Part of the problem might be the impression you make on the seller. The person might not trust that you are a serious buyer. Make it clear that you are really serious.

6 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Well, I am spending money on something that is not cheap, I dont have money to buy something and than say oops.   I want to make a good decision, if its bothering you, than dont read the posts.   I could have bought the Katana, but because I asked about it, I learned that it is heavy and not a good bike, did more research into it.  The bikes people suggested I went to the sites on craigslist to check it out.

The ad owners are not responding to my mails, except for the scammers.  So I check craigslist everyday, Racersedge, etc.  I dont have lots of money so my choice is small.

If a bike is not good, I do not want to buy it.

If it is better to buy a more modern bike than a 20 year old bike then I will do that.  I am new and learning. 

If I had the money to spend, I would have bought certain bikes already. I dont, so the ones I am finding at the price range I have are ones I do not know much about.

Understood. The problem is, shopping at such a low price point is difficult, as you know. Nothing it likely to be ideal without some extra work, expense, or compromise. I, too, am very (read overly) thoughtful about what I choose to buy. Even then, I end up regretting my purchase in some way! After I get over that, I just work with what I have.

My searches were generally $2000-4000, with most options starting closer to $2500. In both cases, I paid $3800 for a bike, not including tax, and both bikes had around 1700 miles on them. An eerie coincidence. The bigger bike was just older at the time of purchase.