600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

1 hour ago, hiro said:

Just noticed an SV650S for sale. Wouldn't that be ideal? A 650 V-twin, but a sport riding position and look.

A lot less comfy than the std SV, but it does have a small screen.  I'd personally recommend the SV over any inline 4 for a newbie.  Much more usable and forgiving torque band.  And for someone as tall as the OP, I'd still recommend the Vstrom.  Same engine, and super easy to ride.

As a previous FZ07 owner and having an FZ07 as my first bike, I will give you some advice. 

Dont buy it as your first bike. 

The throttle is not for giving, its either off, or its really on. Thats something I didnt learn to control for a while after buying it and I wish I had started on something else. There were many questionable unintended accelerations.

Its a great bike. Just not a great first bike. 

9 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I went to try on gear,

I tried this jacket on https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-vrx-air-jacket

The stores here dont really have a big selection of jackets. Most of the jackets were for touring type bikes.

All textile. The leather jackets they had were not summer and looked like the type you would find at a dept store for normal wearing.

Not really any boots could try on, had one or two touring boots no perforation. Small selection of gloves, well at least with armour and for street bikes. Mostly gloves for motocross, etc.

No pants except for chaps and touring pants which looked baggy and hot. Lol.  One pair of bike jeans but didnt have any kevlar inside.

Tried a R3, well sat on it.  Fits well.  Tried a FZ07, well sat on it. And it fit well too.Saw acouple of 250 bikes from Suzuki, a ninja  one from 2011 I think and something else not sure what it was.

Saw a Joe rocket jacket that was mesh and textile. Most of the sleeve was textile except for the inner upper arm were it vented I guess. The front and back were mostly mesh with textile on the top and bottom and sides. Looked nice, with armour but as I read, mesh isnt very good for protection? Why do they continue to sell mesh jackets if it is not so good at protection?

The salesman said that the FZ07 is good because it is only 300cc or something like that he said. It did feel light as did the R3.  He said that the FZ07 has a linear power band so it is easier to get used to.

Want to start buying gear but maybe have to order online.

I really think you should just go with me to look at these things lol

• Upvote 1

sv650s was my first bike, the only thing I regret is getting the S model over the standard. It became a comfort issue on rides longer than 2 hours. It was hell on the interstate (leg pain). Loved the bike after I upgraded the suspension though. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 8:42 PM, Trackbikez said:

I know where you can get all the power of a 600, but with the weight of a 1000 so you don't hurt yourself...

My SV is for sale. :)

Hello sorry for the late reply.  How much are you selling it for?

43 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Found a 250 Ninja for low price.  I sat on them before and felt I was too big for it.   With this be ok for a starter bike?   Enough to get thru daily traffic and long rides?

I'd say no. Get a Ninja 500 in that case. Or just get *a* bike and start riding! By next year you'll really know what you need. Or grab that SV650 in the previous post.

Edited by hiro

8 minutes ago, hiro said:

I'd say no. Get a Ninja 500 in that case. Or just get *a* bike and start riding! By next year you'll really know what you need. Or grab that SV650 in the previous post.

Ok the 250 is too small? I want a bike now. I need a way to get to work. I ride a bicycle to work and part of the way is a industrial road with semis.  Sometimes its dark when I get to work.  I have a bicycle with a light but still dark and dangerous. also some days when I walk to work, the nearest bus stop from there is 40 min walk. 

I havent been in the country that long, and only have about 1200-1500 dollars saved up.

I have seen some old early 2000 Katana 600s for about 1000 dollars.

1 minute ago, yoshiii said:

Ok the 250 is too small? I want a bike now. I need a way to get to work. I ride a bicycle to work and part of the way is a industrial road with semis.  Sometimes its dark when I get to work.  I have a bicycle with a light but still dark and dangerous. also some days when I walk to work, the nearest bus stop from there is 40 min walk. 

I havent been in the country that long, and only have about 1200-1500 dollars saved up.

I have seen some old early 2000 Katana 600s for about 1000 dollars.

In that case, maybe the 250 is OK. It will be really fast compared to a bicycle and it has lights! What's the highest speed during your commute?

1 minute ago, MidgetTodd said:

250 ninja before a Katana all day long. Nothing wrong with the 250 its a great first bike and they run forever

The katanas too much power?   I am concerned with the tire width on the 250s, I had a sports car in Japan and I put bigger and wider tires to handle the power my car had and to help with traction.

2 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

The katanas too much power?   I am concerned with the tire width on the 250s, I had a sports car in Japan and I put bigger and wider tires to handle the power my car had and to help with traction.

The stock tires will be good enough. Watch moto3 racing. Relatively skinny tires.

moto3-termas-de-rio-hondo-2017-joan-mir-

Edited by hiro

2 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

No the Katanas are just not a very good bike. The 250 handles better and is just a better bike. Tire width is irrelevant 

Do you think a Ninja 250 is the same or better than a CBR 250? There are 250's with ABS even.

Just now, MidgetTodd said:

The CBR is better but costs more. For a first bike and city commuter the 250s are great bikes. Fine on hiway too

If getting to work was safer and more convenient, I would save up longer but this is getting not good. Plus I am seeing lots of deals for bikes around 1000-1500 dollars.