600cc or 1000cc for starter bikes?(The never ending bike search thread!!)

yoshiii

Personally I prefer hard knuckle gloves. Those are all I buy. When racing you train to tuck and roll, ball up. Less chance of injury than spread eagle flailing. I make fists when going down, the best way to avoid broken digits and dislocations, hard knuckles help this and is why hard knuckle gloves are made. If you look at track approved over the wrist gauntlet gloves youll see they are all hard knuckled. Its not farkle its the proper way to crash, make fists not outstretched hands

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I understand that, what do you consider cheap gear? The price or what things are made of?

Price isn't always an indicator of quality. Personally I'd rather buy some reputable brand that's gently used than a brand new cycle gear branded jacket for example. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, tall_tracy said:

C'mon... it's buy... sheesh...

Figure out where/how you want to ride and then research bikes accordingly... are you planning on doing all day rides?  Make sure you pick something you'll be comfortable on for a long ride (#1 reason why I sold my R6... long legs + more than a 2 hour ride = awful).  Look for bikes suited for your intentions.

There's good advice here, having taken the courses for riding gets you itching to get a bike & get out there riding, but spend some time reading and searching all things moto-related to find a bike that suits you, as well as good gear that will protect you.

But hey, what do I know, I'm not a dude... lol

God damn auto correct lol. I didn't catch that.

• Upvote 1

https://billyscrashhelmets.com/                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          i have absolutely no idea how people come to the conclusion that at a certain price point makes one product superior to another or that because it costs 5-10 times more it is the better or the best. According to the tests https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/ a 70 dollar lazer LZ6 performed better than 4 out of 11 Shoei"s,all 13 Scorpions,all 13 Nolan"s,3 out of 25 HJC's,9 out of 11 Arai's and 8 Schuberth"s.But this is the USA where if some is good more is better seems to be the norm. All the money in China won't buy you the best. Do your homework and buy what works.The first site will keep you busy for awhile.  http://www.webbikeworld.com/  This site has quite a bit of info on motorcycle related goodies.

• Upvote 2

On 5/11/2017 at 10:04 PM, yoshiii said:

I am not saying I need a liter bike, I am wondering if I find one for cheaper than a 500 or  650 bike, if its worth buying.

Get some insurance quotes, too. With my insurance company, a 500 is less expensive than a 501+. (I think they're considered sub-sport.) A 600 supersport would probably cost more than a 650 sport-tourer. My 650 cost more than double my 300. Not sure about a 1000.

When I started riding--going into my 3rd season now--I decided to take the progressive approach, starting small. Went from a 300 to a 650 recently. In the future I might want a different feel, but, even though I'm getting used to the power difference pretty quick, it seems like plenty for how I ride right now. (I don't know about the suspension.)

I found Australia's LAMS guidelines to be reasonable. Also considering how race classes start with lower power bikes. Better to focus on skills and mindset than raw power, at least for a little while. 

On 5/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, JustinNck1 said:

SMH, a liter bike for a first bike is just asking for trouble. Save yourself some upfront money, and insurance money and avoid a supersport. Look for SV650, FZ6r, F4i, CBR500/650, Ninja 650. These bikes will feel like a rocket ship compared to the 250 at your MSF course. Then take that saved money and invest in good quality gear or accessories towards the bike you chose. 

That was my shopping list for a while. ^_^ There are still Ninja 500's out there, too. How about a 750? How much more power do they have compared to a 650? 

20 minutes ago, hiro said:

That was my shopping list for a while. ^_^ There are still Ninja 500's out there, too. How about a 750? How much more power do they have compared to a 650? 

It's not so much displacement as engine configuration and intended use. A 650 is generally a v or parallel twin, great torque down low with decent hp up top. 600ccInline 4 motors, especially supersport or race replicas, are tuned to deliver 70% of their power above 7k rpm. When the power comes on it can be very abrupt and hard to control. There are some milder i4 600 motors tho, like the fz6, rf600, katana, cbr600f series etc that are still more than enough power for the street but are more manageable. 

definitely don't listen to the "more expensive is betterer" bit.  It's better in terms of certain secondary optional niceties like kewl colors and designs and other useless crap for actual safety.  DEFINITELY try on a good variety of stuff, and ALWAYS go for the one that FITS best.  The padding shouldn't move around once the stuff is on, the helmet shouldn't wobble from head movement, the gloves should fit nice and tight, and boots and etc etc etc.  just go to iron pony (also happens to be a forum sponsor) and try on everything.  literally, spend like 3-4 hours just trying on stuff and take notes.  take someone with you that knows their stuff on gear and get their opinion... but if the expensive fancy jacket fits you best, and all the padding at the joints sit nice and tight, then spend the 3-400 bucks and get the fancy jacket.  if a $50 clearance bin helmet is nice and tight while still be comfy, get that.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, jbot said:

definitely don't listen to the "more expensive is betterer" bit.  It's better in terms of certain secondary optional niceties like kewl colors and designs and other useless crap for actual safety.  DEFINITELY try on a good variety of stuff, and ALWAYS go for the one that FITS best.  The padding shouldn't move around once the stuff is on, the helmet shouldn't wobble from head movement, the gloves should fit nice and tight, and boots and etc etc etc.  just go to iron pony (also happens to be a forum sponsor) and try on everything.  literally, spend like 3-4 hours just trying on stuff and take notes.  take someone with you that knows their stuff on gear and get their opinion... but if the expensive fancy jacket fits you best, and all the padding at the joints sit nice and tight, then spend the 3-400 bucks and get the fancy jacket.  if a $50 clearance bin helmet is nice and tight while still be comfy, get that.

Buy for quality not for price. A $50 clearance bin helmet is better than no helmet, but it's almost certainly not going to be quality. 

I paid $450 for my XR100, and $650 for my race suit. Used. It retails for more like $1200. 

I do it spend as much on helmets and gloves. I buy last year's race gloves on close out.  Same with helmets. 

Because I'm not doing highway speeds, and I only wear my lid during races, noise and weight aren't factors for me. 

The bell vortex(?) has been my go-to lately. It's generally on sale (in ugly colors) for $90 or so. 

8 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

It's not so much displacement as engine configuration and intended use.

Right. I didn't think about it before, but is it highly unlikely to have a 750 twin? (How about a 750 thumper?!) What's the smallest displacement triple? And what would be a practical lower displacement limit for an inline-4? I mean, at some point all those moving parts might not be worth the trouble.

2 hours ago, hiro said:

Right. I didn't think about it before, but is it highly unlikely to have a 750 twin? (How about a 750 thumper?!) What's the smallest displacement triple? And what would be a practical lower displacement limit for an inline-4? I mean, at some point all those moving parts might not be worth the trouble.

750 twins are either dinosaurs or triumphs. 

750 singles are unicorns. 

675 is the smallest triple I'm aware of, and you're not ready for one.. unless you're talking 70's, Kawasaki made a 350cc 2 stroke triple. My cousin actually has one for sale. 

Smallest displacement i4 you're gonna find is the Honda 550 or 500 or wtf ever it is, and it's relatively new and spendy, unless you're talking 70's, Honda made a 350 i4 street bike. 

Buy some old half fast shit. It's your first bike, don't over think it. Get something you can afford that is comfortable and not overpowered, learn how to ride it well and reevaluate in a year or two.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

7 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

750 twins are either dinosaurs or triumphs. 

750 singles are unicorns. 

675 is the smallest triple I'm aware of, and you're not ready for one.. unless you're talking 70's, Kawasaki made a 350cc 2 stroke triple. My cousin actually has one for sale. 

Smallest displacement i4 you're gonna find is the Honda 550 or 500 or wtf ever it is, and it's relatively new and spendy, unless you're talking 70's, Honda made a 350 i4 street bike. 

Buy some old half fast shit. It's your first bike, don't over think it. Get something you can afford that is comfortable and not overpowered, learn how to ride it well and reevaluate in a year or two.

Fzr 250 inline 4

cbr 250 (Japan/Asia market) inline 4

3 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

See there where I said 'the smallest displacement i4 you're going to find'? 

There a plenty of those bikes in the us imported before they were grey market and more imported now because they're vintage.  So yes you can find those in the states.  Plus the fzr400 was imported and tons of those bikes in the states.  Still under your "500cc is smallest since 70s" bs.

Holy crap put the rulers away lads. 

Sorry Yoshi. My girl and I bought the bike Isaac's Papa told you to buy! 

Thanks for the tip IP! 

18471826_10150776240019967_675436765_o.jpg

18493690_10150776234909967_1212552910_o.jpg

Edited by JackImpact
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, rawlins87 said:

There a plenty of those bikes in the us imported before they were grey market and more imported now because they're vintage.  So yes you can find those in the states.  Plus the fzr400 was imported and tons of those bikes in the states.  Still under your "500cc is smallest since 70s" bs.

Post me some Craigslist adds of them for sale.