GPS recommendations

Killer_kaw

I've never owned a gps before but thinking of getting one for the bikes. I would like to know what brand/model most folks like and what to stay away from. Basically I don't know shit about these things. 

If you want a GPS made for motorcycles prepare to pay out dearly. I personally will not pay the price they want for them. I've taken cheap car units and mounted them in dry boxes. Currently I just use my phone with sygic app and download the maps to it. Phone is mounted with a x grip and my GS7 is already water proof. My back up is a first gen TomTom rider1 it's ancient and out dated but works in a pinch if my phone would fail me. 

If money is no obstacle I've heard the Garmin are the only way to go. But I would never pay $500 to $700 for a GPS unit. I've heard the TomTom Rider newer Generations are fairly decent too, just a little bit different format and maybe about a hundred bucks cheaper than the Garmin

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

I have a Garmin 590.  It wasn't cheap, but it works great and has way more features than the 765T I was using up until last year (plus it's waterproof).   You may be able to find some deals on the 590's now that the 595 is out ($400 vs $799).  Has most of the same features.  

I still use Streets and Trips to plan routes, then import the .gpx files to the Garmin.   Harley's ride planner website and Honda's ride planner work too.

Just now, marlboro man said:

One thing I noticed though you're screwed if you don't have service for long periods of times

I use Sygic. It downloads maps to your phone. I got all of North America on mine.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tonik said:

I use Sygic. It downloads maps to your phone. I got all of North America on mine.

1 minute ago, Tonik said:

I might have to try that

Sounds like the phone might be my best bet. Guess I didn't realize how much a decent gps unit was. $600 on a set of shocks I can justify to myself but not a gps. Seems it would be great for long trips though. Maybe next season. 

I like the features of my old TomTom a lot better than any of the new Garmins that I've had.  Distance/time to next stop on a planned route, POI along your route, etc...

I added a powerlet outlet to my steering stem, RAM mount to the front bolts on my gas tank and an older Garmin and was all in for under $100. I created maps on google/mapquest and imported them on to the unit.

Could not have been happier because it was cheap and reliable. My favorite option was when we were out on long rides and I was either fatigued or needed to get back and had to split from the group. Hit the "take me home button" and worked out fantastic

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bad324 said:

I added a powerlet outlet to my steering stem, RAM mount to the front bolts on my gas tank and an older Garmin and was all in for under $100. I created maps on google/mapquest and imported them on to the unit.

Could not have been happier because it was cheap and reliable. My favorite option was when we were out on long rides and I was either fatigued or needed to get back and had to split from the group. Hit the "take me home button" and worked out fantastic

Could you show some photos and add some details? I need to do this.

This is my old set up, I still have it but its not on the bike currently. 

Garmin nuvi 50 that I bought black Friday for $40, ramount dry box $40 and tech mount that was already on my bike.

FB_IMG_1494542041962.jpg.abcc18d435cc3558d82e116cb58938e7.jpgFB_IMG_1494542344241.jpg.ea43b37f8715254c65829b852914f026.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hiro said:

Could you show some photos and add some details? I need to do this.

I can't seem to find any and I sold the bike with the setup 2 years ago. Was absolutely perfect for the VFR

Been doing some more searching and... Some of the tomtom units can be had for little $$. Seems quite a few folks run them on bikes but gotta keep them dry. I'm thinking for all the more I would use it could be the ticket. Anyone here used one?

1 hour ago, Killer_kaw said:

Been doing some more searching and... Some of the tomtom units can be had for little $$. Seems quite a few folks run them on bikes but gotta keep them dry. I'm thinking for all the more I would use it could be the ticket. Anyone here used one?

Stay away from the rider ones the first gen. The mounts are weak and break and the screen looses calibration and is a pain to recalibrate. I'm on my 3rd mount and they are getting really hard to find because they all break eventually. 

The rider 2 had a better mount but i hear about a lot of dock mount charging issues. Mainly due to using th same tiny pins the R1 uses I'm always cleaning mine with contact clraner. Just got in the habit of cleaning them if i think they ever get wet. 

I'm not complaining about my R1 because I only paid  $60 for it and paid  $20 for the last mount. So for what I have invested it works as a good back up to my phone. But if it ever craps out in pulling my cheap nuvi and dry box back on

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

I have an ancient Tom Tom mounted in a ram mount that is zip tied to the steering stabilizer cover on the 1000rr. I had the same thing on the 600rr but it was zip tied to the triple. I was caught in the rain multiple times on the 600rr and never worried about it. The gps got very minimal rain on it since it was somewhat under the windscreen. I'm not sure how it will work out on the 1000rr. I don't download maps typically. I will input multiple towns that run my route and just click them off as I progress through the ride. 

I recently bought a Zumo660LM because my old gps setup wasn't very user friendly.   Had a Nuvi40LM in a Motech weatherproof nav pouch, but I could barely see it during the day ( Zumo is MUCH brighter ) and since it didn't Bluetooth to my Sena ( Zumo is bluetooth equipped ) it left me hanging on when/where to turn next.   Haven't mounted my Zumo yet, but will be using this RAM mount setup I installed for the original setup....just wont need the nav pouch since the Zumo is waterproof, so it will give me a bit more room to see the indicator lamps above my clocks

370594d1462841147-installed-new-gps-mount-0509162020_1462841142835.jpg

370586d1462841116-installed-new-gps-mount-0509162022_1462841107742.jpg

370602d1462841201-installed-new-gps-mount-0509162021_1462841159503.jpg

Edited by Hellmutt

5 minutes ago, hiro said:

I'd like to try a phone and either Bluetooth or a wire, but what to use in the helmet? I use ear plugs, so I don't know.

I have a Sena 10 in my helmet. It connects to my phone via Bluetooth and I can get turn by turn directions from my GPS. Sena products aren't cheap, but they work incredibly well.