Westlake Crits

jhawk

Every Tuesday there is a crit race held by Roman Park in Westlake. I have done it once in the past when I first started cycling and got dropped, but never since. Heading out there tonight and hope to keep at it for the rest of the season. Goal is to finish with the pack!

It runs till the end of June with more laps added each week if anyone cares to make it up sometime. I'll be the guy at the end dying!

Field was about 18 riders. Got off to start and all were just going around the loop at a decent clip, nothing to crazy. There was a decent head wind on the curvy area by the park. I think on the third lap in a cash preem was announced, which really didn't cause an attack until through the curvey areas with the last 300 meters of lap for an all out sprint. I tried, but still learning all the tricks and tactics, was out sprinted. Finshed 5th in preem sprint, not horrible but no $ for me! Will be working on sprints. Things settled back in and all stayed together. I made another error in taking back to back pulls into the wind, not by choice. No one would take my place, did earn some street cred in doing so though! After those 2 laps, the A group caught up with us and this caused an attack, which supposedly isn't allowed. Not supposed to hop onto the other group, but o well. Being at the back of the pack from my 2 pulls, I couldn't respond to go along. With 2 or 3 laps to go, I made it to the front of the pack. Feeling OK, I tried to bridge the gap, but couldn't and it didn't seem like others were working together to do so. I stayed at the front of the group and sprinted out the finish and finished third or 4th behind the lead group so overall like 8th.

I know I was making a few mistakes when I was doing them, but wanted to see how hard I could push and still stay alive. See how many matches I've got to burn. I had an absolute blast and will be racing every Tues.

https://www.strava.com/activities/978951493

https://www.relive.cc/view/978951493

• Upvote 3