Smoke detectors can't live with them...

motocat12

I'm sure there are regulations but they find ways to make them different (left/right twist on)(receiving power -red blinking light?/ green solid light/ no light), uncomparable package specs, and so annoying it's no surprise people don't use them. 

I have 3 linked. replaced them all once since moving in Plus... The downstairs one is at the basement stairs so the mute is commonly slamming it to the bottom and replacing.

Previous replacements were Kitchen False alarm prone or not compatible(3 wires +,-,trigger  ??) not buying 3 of each to see what can handle boiling/cooking.

Current down stairs made 2014 bought 2015 (10y warr.) gives low (backup)battery alert. battery is 9.6 volt new batteries don't resolve.vacuumed (@Casperd(can @tonik invent a verb)) compressed aired.

Other 2 are 2003 no battery backup.working ok.

One of the boxes @ menards was chirping. :biteme::snarky:

Almost all brands are made by kidde, their warranty requires sending it to them Including return shipping... I ran by home depot when I was driving by, still had the reciept by odd chance. Told them the warranty was pointless with both shipping and they agreed and refunded.  

I went with a QSI Electric Microprocessor(Claim no False alarms) Dual Sensor. Same price as the refund,all the boxes had a layer of dust on them...

Installed with no beeping. Hit the test button to hear it, as my basement one is on the quiet side.  It's loud. hitting/ holding the button doesn't mute it(seems to be a universal feature). You can almost hear the cycle repeat like the test is restarting detecting the button still pressed. Unplugged, pulled the battery took a break. Put ear protection on plugged it, back in. Hit the test button only one chirp no matter what I do now.

just checked amazon, mixed reviews. They have several with the same case and features but different model #s..?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Security-Instruments-MDS300B-Sensing/dp/B008J2DI0A

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Universal-Security-Instruments-Hardwired-Interconnected-Smoke-and-Fire-Alarm-MDS107/203367034

Indoor grilling chicken for dinner stay tuned.

Holy shit what a coincidence! I have been battling these bastards for a month now and some of mine are 18'+ in the air. Seems like every time i get one fixed another starts the low battery beep, fix that and then one i fixed a month ago starts again WTF then start process over again. what really burns my ass is these bastards are hard wired so what the hell do I need a battery for! (i know i know if the power goes out blah blah blah)

Maybe just switch to fully battery powered?  I recently replaced one with a First Alert that has the mute button, fewer false alarms than the old Kiddie, and the convenience of the mute button when it does "false" alarm when the wife cooks.  

I need to test the upstairs unit, thanks for the reminder.

my deaf neighbor's was doing it,I could just hear it inside my place. I gave her a note and brought out one of mine and showed her the battery. She called the FD and they came out with 2 trucks and sirens.

I assumed it was those I had no clue what kind of deaf equipment they had. (they left the bathtub running and left for the weekend once then spent a month in a motel while the ceiling drywall. was replaced.

Next week it starts again. I went over with a multi meter and batteries and they all checked good but she did have those flashing exit strobes also networked but some mounted to the wall and others on shelves in the same room and unplugged. Nothing stopped it. I came home the next day and there was an engine on the street and 3 police cars in front.  They said she calls with the text device but the call drops so they send out units. It's stopped beeping since then.

• 2 months later...

I tried to update another old detector with the same one i installed last and they go off again as soon as it's plugged  no button pushing or unplugging them does anything. one plugged in and one in my hand both keep going off  took em both down and threw them under towlels in a closset and after 5 min and damaged hearing they stop.  Was just streaming a movie and the movie has a mega loud smoke alarm go off.. maybe the connectors that physically fit each detector expect to be wired different polarity? that would be dumb

tomorrow i'll try with hearing protection or  i'm having smoke detector batting practice.

apparently the alarms come pre triggered out of the box? but the powered on reset from the instructions doesn't  work?. have to use generic hard unpowered reset found on internet. 

3rd old basement alarm still went off when plugged in. Even with the interconnect wire chopped. Un powered reset didn't help, powered reset non networked did.

All good for now until I update the old one or replace new one's backup batteries. 

My apartment put up a cheap one, that would go off when boiling water. Bought a two pack of First Alert to install, and never had any problems. They do wear out eventually (many years), and will have to be replaced.