2 factor authentication

Casper

2 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

I just want to know what it is and why I would use it. 

I'm not an IT person but from what I know it's another layer of protection to log into sites. instead of just using your id and password which is easily stolen these days it would send you a text on your phone with a confirmation code you would enter into the site. some sites use pictures that you choose.  this will guarantee that you are using the authentic website too.  my credit union does this.  google for example sends you a text with a code.  I use lastpass password manger and it sends me a code on my phone through their authentication app.  my old job at a repo company did this to log into the server that the banks and repo companies use to access all of the data for a vehicle they're looking for.  btw, you'd be really creeped out by all the data a bank knows about you when they want that car back.   for example they know your relatives and anyone that lives in the same house as you, job hours names phone numbers addresses ss numbers etc.  

Edited by serpentracer

3 hours ago, Casper said:

Yea I got that. I can google. What I'm asking though is why. What am I missing that makes a forum need that. We talk about hookers and blow. Tonik busts your balls. IP hands out witty condescension. Joel says some Amish stuff and Shawn and Tim bitch about mowers and people on thier lawns...... on top of that the forum is open, anyone can read it and password is only needed to post more to fuel Pauly. Who would want to hack that? That's what I'm asking? What's the point? I don't understand 

38 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

Yea I got that. I can google. What I'm asking though is why. What am I missing that makes a forum need that. We talk about hookers and blow. Tonik busts your balls. IP hands out witty condescension. Joel says some Amish stuff and Shawn and Tim bitch about mowers and people on thier lawns...... on top of that the forum is open, anyone can read it and password is only needed to post more to fuel Pauly. Who would want to hack that? That's what I'm asking? What's the point? I don't understand 

Because we can. Its either right or it isn't. That's the way IT people think. No gray, its all black and white. 2fa is right.

And i didnt answer your question because I'm on vacation. Only doing it now because there is a commercial on the cavs game.

23 hours ago, rawlins87 said:

Forums are dying it's going all to Facebook groups.

Facebook kinda sucks. 

On a side note, OR has seen a steady traffic increase for almost a year now. 

7 minutes ago, Casper said:

Tim has been finding more issues than you. I think he's just sitting there hitting refresh. 

Finding issues doesn't generate traffic. Posting interesting topics and comments does.

You're welcome.