CCW .380 Bodyguard vs. Shield 9mm

Vulcan_Rider

I have been looking around for a good gun to conceal carry.  It just so happens that Fin Feather & Fur is having a pretty damn good sale this month with a couple of great deals on Smith's.  Great price on both guns I'm just not sure which to go with.

I like the idea of a 9mm because I already own a Glock 17 and buying the same rounds for 2 guns seems convenient plus I like the 8+1 capacity with the extended mag.  However the few times I shot my dad's 9mm shield I did not really like it, I did not like the grip and at the time just straight up didn't like the way it shot.  When I shot his gun it was the first few times I went shooting and he had a large backstarp on it.  Since then I have bought my own gun and am waaaaaaay more comfortable shooting.  Since I have a lot more range time and experience I have not had the chance to shoot a shield 9mm again.

The bodyguard seems like a nice small gun for easy concealment but I'm not sure if it will be too small for comfortable shooting and dont really like the idea of a 6+1 capacity.  

Any thoughts on either of these guns?

In case you were wondering here is the link to the flyer.  https://www.finfeatherfur.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/May_DirectMailer2017_WEB.pdf

I have the shield but I don't carry it. After carrying a 638, I just find the shield too big to comfortably conceal.  

Give the Smith wheel guns a look.

If you're dead set on a slide gun for some reason, I would take the LCP over the bodyguard. Just my preference and I'm a smith fan 

Edited by max power

I have an early first gen BG380.  It's my favorite carry pistol.   I've owned just about every 380 and that is the one I trust.  I think the revolver like trigger is exactly what a pocket pistol pistol should have.

I've been through quite a few carry guns including a shield and ended up with a 380 LCP. Definitely not my favorite gun but absolutely the one I'm most likely to grab on the way out the door. Not a range gun but perfectly capable of hitting a man sized target at a reasonable distance. Slip one in a remora holster and you have many Cary options. 

Just now, blue03636 said:

The 380s just flat out suck to shoot.

Honestly, that shouldn't matter at all.   They aren't made to be range guns.  They're meant to be in your pocket when you need them, and plenty accurate to hit a target at self defense distances.

7 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Honestly, that shouldn't matter at all.   They aren't made to be range guns.  They're meant to be in your pocket when you need them, and plenty accurate to hit a target at self defense distances.

Still need to shoot it enough to hit something. What good is it if you never practice with it.

I still prefer to know what my carry gun will do. Do I expect it to get me through 100+ rounds in a range trip, probably not but I still want to get 50+ through it to make sure it functions and I feel confident in it.

Going to toss out another idea.  Smith also makes the 38 Bodyguard. Basically a J frame 5 shot revolver. That is my carry gun now.  Shoots really well, I can center mass them all day long at 25.  Super easy and safe to carry and always goes boom.

• Upvote 1

+1 for Shield. I shot that and the Glock 43. I have a 9mm too so similar to you, I wanted to use the same ammo. The shield with the extended mag fit my hand better than the Glock. 

If you considering a CCW with 9mm and don't like the Shield, consider the Glock 43. It was just too small for my liking.

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

I gathered he was wanting one on sale (flyer)

This

I'm a cheap ass (not hi point cheap but still cheap)  that's why I was looking at these 2.  I know they are quality guns and they are a great price at the moment.

Edited by Vulcan_Rider

Only 3 things matter for a CCW pistol:

1 Can it be reasonably concealed

2 Can you hit a target at self defense distances (if not, you're the problem, not the weapon)

3 Does it go bang every time

If you have reason to draw a weapon in self defense, you aren't going to give a damn about ergonomics, if the trigger is butter smooth, or if it can hit a shotgun shell at 50 feet.

You're also going to be dealing with adrenaline.  This isn't a marksmanship situation.  You aren't slowly squeezing off a round while maintaining breath control.  You are quickly pulling the trigger.  If you are in a struggle you aren't going to be using the sites & you might need to fire left handed.  Practice that next time you are at the range. 

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

Only 3 things matter for a CCW pistol:

1 Can it be reasonably concealed

2 Can you hit a target at self defense distances (if not, you're the problem, not the weapon)

3 Does it go bang every time

If you have reason to draw a weapon in self defense, you aren't going to give a damn about ergonomics, if the trigger is butter smooth, or if it can hit a shotgun shell at 50 feet.

You're also going to be dealing with adrenaline.  This isn't a marksmanship situation.  You aren't slowly squeezing off a round while maintaining breath control, you are quickly pulling the trigger.  If you are in a struggle you aren't going to be using the sites & you might need to fire left handed.  Practice that next time you are at the range. 

It's a lot easier to hit your target if you are comfortable with your weapon. Either up close or at range   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

One other idea.  XD makes a small carry 9.  My kid has it, I have shot it, excellent gun. I still regret selling my XD 40.

+1 for the XD.  I carry an XDS9 and love it.  I have no problem with concealment and its very accurate.

Winter carry is a shield 9mm with 8 shot extended mags.  Put on a Pachymar grip or a hogue.  Much more comfortable to shoot and better shot control. OWB Blackhawk serpa holster.  Also fits in a desantis ankle holster, but is a little heavy for serious ankle carry.

Summer carry (or winter back-up) is LCP 380 with a hogue grip and 7 shot extended mags.  Put a 13# recoil spring in for less recoil and more shot control.   Fits nicely in a Desantis ankle holster under long pants, or in front pocket of shorts in a pocket holster (uncle mikes or Blackhawk - I have both).  Fits nicely in zippered pocket of my MC jacket when traveling. Can't tell it's there, but easy to access if needed.

As others have said, best gun for concealed carry is one you will actually carry and one you will practice with regularly.

The one down side to the .380 is the price of ammo.  It's always more expensive than 9mm, undoubtedly driven by the large number of concealed carry folks buying pocket guns.   Check on line for deals (many with free shipping if you order by the case).  

Fin Feather runs deals occasionally, but Sportsman's Den in Shelby actually has better prices many times (guns and ammo).

Just buy one of each options are always nice. I have a .38 subby air weight that is my goto. But I also sometimes carry a LCP, LC9, shield, or my pf9. Options are always good. 

As it turns out the gun my dad has is an m&p 9c not a shield.  Went to fin to look at the shield and the difference between a double stack 9c and single stack shield was huge.  The gun felt comfortable so I bought it.  After the rebate I'm looking at $383 for the gun, speed loader, 3 boxes of range ammo and a box of Hornady critical defense

I do still have some extra cash so may just end up back at fin for the bodyguard

• Upvote 1

Is capacity that big of a concern for an actual carry gun?

I keep an extra magazine and ammo in my car, but I tend to only carry 7+1 routinely, unless I'm going somewhere I really ought to be avoiding in the first place.