Thoughts on a 2000 BMW K1200LT Custom?

ScubaCinci

I don't know a lot about these but have been wanting a bigger touring bike for the wife and I. I've googled a bit and it seems like a pretty solid bike with no real week spots (it appears most complaints have been addressed) but any info you have is appreciated.

It's priced higher than KBB or NADA but both of those assume mileage is commensurate with age so hard to gauge.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/mcy/6101391207.html

Same drivetrain as my old K1200RS. Surprisingly they don't have a very high resale value. I've seen them in the low $3k range. They have a transmission seal issue that can wipe out the clutch, and its a job to replace too. They are a fun bike though. The LT models are super comfortable, other than the ridiculously hard twisting throttle.

1 minute ago, ScubaCinci said:

Thanks for the info, Interesting...do you know how common the seal issue is? I'm wondering if people just proactively "fix" it before it fails.

My K-bike and both of my uncle's K-bikes (98 LT & 05 LT) have had the issue. Mine was fixed right before I bought it. It's a dry clutch, so when the transmission seals leaks, it destroys the clutch. ABS control modules don't have the best reputation either, and they ain't cheap. Mine started acting up when I traded it in. Not trying to scare you away from it, they are fun bikes.