JapanRider92

'08 Yamaha R6 Fairings

Hi All,

I've recently gotten an 08 Yamaha R6 and need to replace the fairings. Does anyone have recommendations on where to get full fairing sets? Also, would this be something that I can do myself?

Thanks in advance!

I personally have replaced fairings on 3 CBRs. All of which came from eBay and I think all 3 were from different sellers straight from China. All turned out great. The only reservation I would have doing this on a R6 is the gas tank. On the CBR there is a plastic cover over the tank which is included in the fairing set, therefore, no worries about colors matching. I don't believe that is the case on the R6. As far as installing them just take your time. I never had to drill any holes but did use a razor knife here and there to clean out holes. If you end up ordering a set please update. I'm curious on the color match. 

3 hours ago, durk said:

I personally have replaced fairings on 3 CBRs. All of which came from eBay and I think all 3 were from different sellers straight from China. All turned out great. The only reservation I would have doing this on a R6 is the gas tank. On the CBR there is a plastic cover over the tank which is included in the fairing set, therefore, no worries about colors matching. I don't believe that is the case on the R6. As far as installing them just take your time. I never had to drill any holes but did use a razor knife here and there to clean out holes. If you end up ordering a set please update. I'm curious on the color match. 

Ok, I was looking at Ebay and saw they were from China and was skeptical. My R6 has a black tank so I'm not too worried about matching. When I get the time to do the install, I'll post back here. Thanks!

When you install be sure to use plenty of heat shield near your headers otherwise you will melt your shiny new fairings. I learned my lesson the hard way. 

35 minutes ago, durk said:

When you install be sure to use plenty of heat shield near your headers otherwise you will melt your shiny new fairings. I learned my lesson the hard way. 

Will do. thanks for the heads up, wouldn't have thought of that :cheers:

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JapanRider92 said:

Turns out my Yamaha is an R6S and not an R6... so those fairings didnt work out. The search continues!

Oh yeah, 08 was close to the change in body styles.

2 hours ago, JapanRider92 said:

Turns out my Yamaha is an R6S and not an R6... so those fairings didnt work out. The search continues!

That's weird - the pics in the ad are from an R6r, not an R6s...

I have a front sprocket cover from an '06 R6r in my garage, I didn't put it on the bike before I sold it.  It's brand new and should fit your '08 - if you need one, let me know...

1 hour ago, tall_tracy said:

That's weird - the pics in the ad are from an R6r, not an R6s...

I have a front sprocket cover from an '06 R6r in my garage, I didn't put it on the bike before I sold it.  It's brand new and should fit your '08 - if you need one, let me know...

I appreciate the offer, but if I'm going to replace a single piece it would be the tail fairings. The previous owner "launched it out of his garage," so the left tail plastic has a chunk missing from the underside. The the rest of the left side has minor scratches so it wouldn't be a big deal to not replace them. 

22 minutes ago, JapanRider92 said:

I appreciate the offer, but if I'm going to replace a single piece it would be the tail fairings. The previous owner "launched it out of his garage," so the left tail plastic has a chunk missing from the underside. The the rest of the left side has minor scratches so it wouldn't be a big deal to not replace them. 

No problem - I wasn't sure how bad the fairings damage is and didn't know if that included the sprocket cover.  The previous owner of my R6r cut my sprocket cover - maybe to replace the sprocket since the back wasn't stock either... who knows?!?

Good luck with your search for plastics - I've helped friends install them and it doesn't always go smoothly if they aren't OEM.

13 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

Sounds like a good time to go to race bodywork ?

If I even imply I'm going to race, I may end up missing (girlfriend) :lol:

1 hour ago, JapanRider92 said:

If I even imply I'm going to race, I may end up missing (girlfriend) :lol:

You don't need that kind of negativity in yo life! 

• Upvote 1

If you have the R6S then I'm pretty sure 03-04 R6 fairings will work as well, maybe even 05. 

15 hours ago, natedogg624 said:

If you have the R6S then I'm pretty sure 03-04 R6 fairings will work as well, maybe even 05. 

Appreciate it. Might make finding some a little easier. 

7 hours ago, JapanRider92 said:

Appreciate it. Might make finding some a little easier. 

03-04 confirmed, 05 bodywork with the exception of the front fender will swap too. 

05 had a different front end with inverted forks vs traditional which is why it has a different fender. 

Edited by natedogg624

17 hours ago, natedogg624 said:

03-04 confirmed, 05 bodywork with the exception of the front fender will swap too. 

05 had a different front end with inverted forks vs traditional which is why it has a different fender. 

:cheers: Appreciate it