Interesting opportunity has found me

Gixxus Christ!

Long story. I'll keep it short for now because it's late. The company I work for is shrinking. More layoffs this week after closing an entire plant last year. Recently I met the owner of a company that manufacturers high end commercial brewing systems and he asked for a resume. His company is 3 years old but has grown from him in a garage to 50,000 square feet and 20 employees in 3 years. I've been with my current employer ten years. His wages and benefits are commensurate with what I'm making minus a matched 401k.

Honestly I'm a bit afraid to take the leap. Hard to give up relative security. 

Suggestions?

Career moves are always tough stuff, I have had to work those out myself. I dont have the answer, but suggest look at some questions..

- Is your present company in a growth industry or pulling back?

- You mentioned layoffs, why is that going on when the economy is booming?

- Where do you think the present company will be in 5 years?

- Are you bored stiff or disgusted with you present job. 

For the beer job..

- Craft beers industry is booming and in demand, ask the owner what are your 2 year and 5 year plans?

- Is he planning to build the biz then sell out, or is he wanting to stay for the long haul?

- For a fact, in a smaller company, you have to wear many more hats and be flexible. Is that something you can stomach?

- Ask the owner, what would your plans for me be if I join your company?

- Ask what is you biggest problem that you face today for the company?

- If you dont go to the beer job, will you be kicking yourself in a year?

Dunno what to add, but sit down and add more questions like this, maybe bounce it of your wife or good friend. 

I'm in my present job for 2 1/2 years, but prior that, I had 4 jobs that were flat out stinkers. None of those turned out to be like what the interview indicated.......

Best of luck CSC.

• Upvote 1

present company is doing everything it can to end all manufacturing operations in akron. they've built plants in kentucky and mexico to do the commercial stuff but we still have govt defense contracts that mandate things be made here in the akron facility. to make matters worse, the guys that were just laid off this week, rumor is the H.R. dept is fucking them out of their contract-guaranteed severance packages. if that's true, I really need to gtfo of here. company obviously doesnt care about the community or even it's own employees. I understand and support capitalism, but for a company to break contract just to save a few thousand dollars seems just...fucking low. So it's time to sharpen my resume and see what this brew equipment manufacturer has to offer. 

i agree that a company that young is pretty risky, but they're in a growth business and they make some seriously high-end equipment. company is called systech stainless. idk, i might try and do the following:

get my resume to him this week and maybe get an offer. if i do, i'll volunteer for the layoff that becomes effective next friday.  it's a temporary layoff, so i'd be called back in a few months. in those few months i could feel things out and see if i'm a good fit and vice versa. virtually no risk to me....if i like the new gig, i just decline my recall rights when the layoff is over. if it isnt working out, i go back to work at my current place. 

but a plan is just a list of shit that's not going to happen the way you think it will, so probably fantasy.

• Upvote 1

I periodically look for at available opportunities, even when I'm not "really" looking.

In this day an age very few companies are loyal to their EEs.  If you happen to work for one you are lucky (mine certainly isn't).  You can be out on your ass before you know it.

Always have a plan and keep your options open.

29 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

i agree that a company that young is pretty risky, but they're in a growth business and they make some seriously high-end equipment. company is called systech stainless. idk, i might try and do the following:

get my resume to him this week and maybe get an offer. if i do, i'll volunteer for the layoff that becomes effective next friday.  it's a temporary layoff, so i'd be called back in a few months. in those few months i could feel things out and see if i'm a good fit and vice versa. virtually no risk to me....if i like the new gig, i just decline my recall rights when the layoff is over. if it isnt working out, i go back to work at my current place. 

but a plan is just a list of shit that's not going to happen the way you think it will, so probably fantasy.

That sounds like a good plan, right there.  See what they have to offer, and go from there.

22 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

I periodically look for at available opportunities, even when I'm not "really" looking.

In this day an age very few companies are loyal to their EEs.  If you happen to work for one you are lucky (mine certainly isn't).  You can be out on your ass before you know it.

Always have a plan and keep your options open.

I was told a long time ago, by a manager that I was working for at the time, that you should ALWAYS keep your resume ready, and options open.  He left that company, returned, and is still with them (last I heard) and that was over 15 years ago.  That company moved all production out of the country.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:34 AM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

That's a pretty good plan.  Worst case, you get the a few months expanding your knowledge about your new hobby.  Best case, you are balls deep in something that pockets you mega kwon and you're a rainmaker.

• Upvote 1