First Bicycle Advice

JustinNck1

So, since I have been exercising, and the weather is getting nicer, I have considered getting a bicycle. I haven't rode a bicycle since junior high, other than the stationary bike in the gym. People I work with go on trips after work and it has my interest. Mainly paved or gravel trails. I am close to Specialized, Giant, and Trek dealers. I plan to go rent a bike one day to see if I really want to spend money on a bike. Right now the Trek DS1 has my attention since it is less than $600 and has disc brakes, but who knows what I will like until I go try some. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on what to do or look for?

IP knows his bike shit, I'd trust his advice all day.   Avoiding the DS bikes for anything but trail/single track/downhill is the truest of true stories.  I've still got a DS bike from the late 90s, and it soaks up a lot of the pedal power on the road/bike paths.  Hard tail mountain bikes aren't too bad on paved surfaces, and will still give you somewhat of a dirt capable option if you decide to trail ride it.  Try a decent mid-grade bike to start out with ( $300-$500 ) like you're looking at now Justin, then if you find you really dig biking - seek out an upgrade later or something more specialized to the type of biking you want to stick with.   I've always been more of an offroad fan, that's why I went with a DS bike.   Trails are fun, and to me it seems it works your whole body more than road biking. 

Also be sure to get a bike that's close to your fitment, if not fitted for YOU.  I bought my XL framed bike without any concern of how it fit me, I was strictly concerned with the price I got it for.....so riding more than 8-10 miles really torques my back/shoulders/neck.

Sounds like IP is the real deal with his advice.  FS frames are less than ideal for most riders looking at recreational bikes.  You'll end up with a cheap POS that will be heavy, undersprung, and prolly blow thru linkage bushings in short order.  If you want to bit of extra 'cush' you can always get a suspension post that will mimic a bit of the FS feel and weigh less and be more efficient.

Edited by Bubba
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice guys. Some of the guys I work with told me to stay away from a FS bike for just gravel stuff, they mentioned the weight and loss of energy, so I knew that going in. The Trek DS3 did mention lockout capability for the fork. The differences in DS1, DS2, DS3 & DS4 has alot between different gearing stuff, which I have no clue on. DS3 & DS4 had tubeless capable hubs. I don't think I wanna get into that price bracket though, especially for a first bike.

15 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Tubeless is ridiculous if someone isn't paying you to ride. Don't complicate things. It's a bicycle. Make sure it fits. Make sure you like it. Component junkies will argue about the following, but I've been riding Sora/Tiagra this entire time. I got up the Skyway twice already on that low-end kit. Done multiple centuries on that low-end kit. You wanna spend dodge? Buy a quality wheel set. Even then..not until the stockers prove inadequate.  

The Trek FX is more what you're looking for. Lockout, schmockout. 

You want disc brakes (cable actuated are perfectly fine) and wide tire capability. That will cover most everything you want to do with the bike. If you catch the cycling bug, then all bets are off. There are nine bicycles in my house and one unicycle...and I'm looking at another road bike to purchase this year. 

Also, some good bar ends make a world of difference on a flat-bar hybrid. 

The place I plan on renting from uses FX bikes, so that is also on my list of bikes. 

The jump of quality between 7 speed freewheels to 8 speed freehubs is quite large. 8 speed puts the bearings outboard and is the same up to 11 speeds.I just learned there are 7 speed cassettes but they aren't common

Image result for bike hub 7 vs 6 speed

If some fool wants to drive down, I have raleigh c40 apartment move out dumpster bike for loan. it does need a 27.9 seatpost if you're over 5'8".24spd grip shift. It's aluminum framed probably lighter than your average rental bike. 16" frame 40.5" wheelbase 170 mm cranks

Img_130318175437.jpeg

• Upvote 1