FML, I thought I'd never post in here

Gixxus Christ!

Went on a fucking bicycle ride today.

$15 at my local canoe livery/bike rental spot gets you a 3 mile stretch on the river and an hour on a bike. My plan was to rent the bike, pedal 3 miles up river where they put in the kayaks and paddle downstream.

I got there at like 4:40. Last boat in the water by 5. So they say, 'just do the kayak first, then come back and get the bike rental'.

I'm out of shape as fuck but I can still hack it, so I do my 3 miles in a kayak, which was mostly enjoyable, and on the way down I'm thinking I'll just get my keys and id from the desk and skip the bike.

So I get back and they're like 'ok, let's get you on a bike!'

Hit the towpath with 30 minutes running on the timer on my g-shock intending to reset and turn back when it went off. Hit the 3 mile mark where they put my kayak in at 12 min. Decided fuck it, I'm gonna do the hour and I'm gonna hit butterbridge (the put in spot for the 6 mile trip) and come back in this hour.

And I did, with 30 sec to spare after taking a 2 min break at the halfway point.

I know, 12 miles probably isn't shit to most of you, but I'm almost 38, out of shape as fuck and haven't put more than a few blocks on a bike in 15 years.

Felt good. Felt really fucking good to push myself and get it done.

So that's my story. IDK if I'll buy a bike. I sure as fuck won't be buying spandex jumpsuits and silly styrofoam helmets. But I'll ride the towpath again, and I'll do it in 45 min. 

• Upvote 2

Nice. I bought a Trek 8.4 DS couple of years ago and I bet I haven't even put 20 miles on it. I need to get my fat old arse out and get on it. Athens has a super nice bike path that runs all the way to Nelsonville. They're eventually going to have it connect into my hometown of Belpre but I know its a few years off.

2 hours ago, thompsonian said:

Nice. I bought a Trek 8.4 DS couple of years ago and I bet I haven't even put 20 miles on it. I need to get my fat old arse out and get on it. Athens has a super nice bike path that runs all the way to Nelsonville. They're eventually going to have it connect into my hometown of Belpre but I know its a few years off.

Yo, sell me that bike you ain't using, so I can put it in my corner to gather dust!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

Sam

A good friend of mine owns a Bicycle Shop in Shaker Heights (in fact, I'm working evenings there now helping with assemblies and repairs during Spring rush)

He has some great deals, and I can get you even better pricing. Let me know if you're interested.

MUCH better than getting a Walmart bike, and barely more money.

You know Frank?

I have given him alot of my money over the years. During the winter his motorcycle always sat in the middle of the store, usually in the middle of some maintenance.

flat-ground riding on towpaths doesn't require an expensive bike, but "expensive" is a relative term.

It sounds like you want to spend a couple hundred on an older steel-frame rigid mountain bike with cushy road-biased tires, and a nice gel seat (although a gel seat is no substitute for padded cycling shorts).

Hills change the workout a LOT, and if you're trying to average more than 12mph, the quality  and weight of the bike will start to matter more too.

34 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

flat-ground riding on towpaths doesn't require an expensive bike, but "expensive" is a relative term.

It sounds like you want to spend a couple hundred on an older steel-frame rigid mountain bike with cushy road-biased tires, and a nice gel seat (although a gel seat is no substitute for padded cycling shorts).

Hills change the workout a LOT, and if you're trying to average more than 12mph, the quality  and weight of the bike will start to matter more too.

Kind of where I was going with my comment. I rock an old Steel framed Huffy I bought at Wally maybe 20 years ago and stuck a fat ass gel seat on it and it makes a perfect flat grounder tow path bike. It is what it is but if that's all he's planning on doing that's all you need.

20 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Good for you, Sam. Lycra and fancy shoes are not necessary for Towpath cycling. I remember when I couldn't do more than 20 miles. Keep at it and don't push too hard. As close as you live to the trailhead it's silly to not own a bike. A quick ride to Canal Fulton for ice cream, beer or lunch and then head home. Easy workout. Fresh air. No gym membership.  

I can remember when I used to be able to ride 20-30-70-80 miles?. Lotsa decent bikes on Craigslist at Wally World prices. 

• Upvote 1