What good colors to wear for visibility?

yoshiii

5 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I think that hi viz colors like blue or red mixed with white will be better for the day time as mentioned above.  I agree with hi vis like the yellow for night driving and gray, raining weather is good.

I did a experiment where someone used different colors and moved the colors passed my peripheral vision and out of green, orange, and the hi viz type yellow, I noticed the green, orange much more than the yellow.  The yellow blended too much into the background.   I didnt know when or what side the colors would move into my vision.

Interesting... OSU transportation did a study like that too.

But short story, I did a road check on the hivis orange and hivis green, on a long straight road. Two guys on bikes in the distance in front of me. The orange was good up to a mile, and the green was good up to two miles. When the closure rate might be only 15 to 20 seconds in a mile, distance counts.

• Upvote 2

So many replies, I'm just going to throw in this colour before reading them all. Archers say that pink is hi-viz compared to natural surroundings. I'm partial to bright green. As far as reflectives go, there is a black tape to lights up white at night. In New Jersey, riders are required to have a minimum area of reflective tape on their helmets. I think it does make a difference, but maybe better to not go overboard and blind anyone.

7 hours ago, yoshiii said:

oh ok lol

I plan to wear full gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, proper boots or motorcycle shoes, thinking about getting pants too.

It's always good to have something on your lower body, even when not riding! heh I'm about to get some riding jeans. Probably Bull-it brand. I've been feeling a little vulnerable lately. heh

7 hours ago, Qman said:

I got the attention of a restaurant owner a few weeks ago with my hi-vis jacket.  I came walking in the place with jacket on, carrying my helmet.  The guy rushes towards me with wide eyes and starts to say something....then he looks at my helmet and says "Holy shit you scared the hell outta me...I thought you were a fireman!"

A kid asked me if I were a fireman. I said, no, I'm a Power Ranger. heh I think fireman would have impressed him more.

• Upvote 1

On a cooler day, you could put a hi-viz vest on, I guess.

BTW, one issue with hi-viz is that it fades over time.

(The combination of red, black, and white is used for baby toys for the contrast since babies can't see all that well for a time. Not sure how much attention that would catch on the street.)

• 3 weeks later...