Jump to content

What good colors to wear for visibility?


Recommended Posts

Hello

What are some good colors to wear for good visibility to other drivers?

I know the construction yellow and orange is noticeable, but are their other colors that will work well?

Does white blend into the background too much?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than the hi-viz colors, anything other than black/grey (which unfortunately seems to be the predominant scheme of most gear) will help. I think white is better than most other non-hi-viz colors. Throw some reflective stickers on your helmet as well.

I also think it's very beneficial to have a bike where you sit up high enough to be seen behind most cars. Running multiple lights (not brights, I personally hate that) if your headlight is a single helps others judge your speed/direction more accurately.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There are guys that think it matters but I'm not really sold on it. I think most cagers hit bikes because they just don't look at all. But if it makes you feel better about it like Joe said there are many options in many brands for the whole Hi viz yellow thing which is probably the brightest option if you don't mind looking like a highlighter all the time.

scorpion-commander-ii-hi-viz-motorcycle-jacket-neon-81853.jpg.b310b63f8bbdfa1a97b255b2bf9b079f.jpg

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi-Vis stands out as it is supposed to. Personally in my experience it makes a difference. I were a Hi-Vis jacket atleast 95% of the time, 2 of the 3 times I had to panic brake due to someone pulling out in front of me have been when I was wearing a black mesh jacket that was given to me. 

For other colors it helps to have contrast. All white will stand out at night and in poor lighting conditions but is less noticeable in bright sunlight. Bright primary colors like red, blue or green blend less with the background in bright sunlight but appear almost black when lighting is poor. So other than the Hi-Vis/black combo, my next choice would be a bold pattern of white and a primary color.

Ofcourse reflective materials help immensely in the dark and can be integrated with most color schemes.

This was my recent purchase for a leather jacket. I hope it is nearly as good as my "highlighter" jacket.

alpinestars_jaws_leather_jacket_zoom.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 Hi Vis does help.  The concept is you look out of place, you create a look that isn't expected so it triggers the mind to look. People that say it doesn't work are simply ignoring the fact that it does. Boatloads of studies on what colors and how to do it have proven it to to work.  It's why you see it on all the construction workers, the decals on their vehicles. It's fact.

And yes, my modulating headlight does the same thing. I have seen it stop people about to turn in front of me a boatload of times.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tonik said:

+1 Hi Vis does help.  The concept is you look out of place, you create a look that isn't expected so it triggers the mind to look. People that say it doesn't work are simply ignoring the fact that it does. Boatloads of studies on what colors and how to do it have proven it to to work.  It's why you see it on all the construction workers, the decals on their vehicles. It's fact.

And yes, my modulating headlight does the same thing. I have seen it stop people about to turn in front of me a boatload of times.

Safety course I took a few years ago, the instructor was adamantly against modulated headlights.  His rationale is that people flash their lights to communicate all sorts of things, like "go ahead", "cops ahead", ...etc...  In other words you can create an accident with a modulating headlight.  I tend to agree.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a new rider a tip for you, regardless of what you wear always(ALWAYS!!!) assume that cagers do not see you. Even if they seem to be looking right at you and you see the whites of their eyes assume they did not see you and be prepared to take action to avoid them.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2talltim said:

As a new rider a tip for you, regardless of what you wear always(ALWAYS!!!) assume that cagers do not see you. Even if they seem to be looking right at you and you see the whites of their eyes assume they did not see you and be prepared to take action to avoid them.

+1 on this. Situational awareness is key. Many accidents can be avoided with this logic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Qman said:

Safety course I took a few years ago, the instructor was adamantly against modulated headlights.  His rationale is that people flash their lights to communicate all sorts of things, like "go ahead", "cops ahead", ...etc...  In other words you can create an accident with a modulating headlight.  I tend to agree.

I have thought this too. I do not like them either but I also think they probably save more accidents than they cause. I'm not disagreeing with you just saying that they do do their job but I can see how they would send the wrong message also.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Qman said:

Safety course I took a few years ago, the instructor was adamantly against modulated headlights.  His rationale is that people flash their lights to communicate all sorts of things, like "go ahead", "cops ahead", ...etc...  In other words you can create an accident with a modulating headlight.  I tend to agree.

Sounds like the opinion of a couple of peeps that have not run one.  After 200K I can say what you describe isn't an issue.  The reason it isn't is because it is modulating all the time....it isn't the quick couple of flashes people use for signaling. And no it does not piss people off, in fact I have had multiple cagers tell me what a great idea it is.  One dude followed me into a gas station just to tell me that.

It has without a doubt save my butt a few times.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that hi viz colors like blue or red mixed with white will be better for the day time as mentioned above.  I agree with hi vis like the yellow for night driving and gray, raining weather is good.

I did a experiment where someone used different colors and moved the colors passed my peripheral vision and out of green, orange, and the hi viz type yellow, I noticed the green, orange much more than the yellow.  The yellow blended too much into the background.   I didnt know when or what side the colors would move into my vision.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another bonus for hi-viz gear (and luggage) is that LEO's tend to be more lenient with riders that show responsibility by A) wearing full gear B) wearing hi-viz. This plus luggage helps separate the more responsible riders from the squids as they tend to ride with little safety equipment and are usually on sport bikes with no luggage. I have 2 LEO friends that have told me this...otherwise, it really would've never occurred to me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

Another bonus for hi-viz gear (and luggage) is that LEO's tend to be more lenient with riders that show responsibility by A) wearing full gear B) wearing hi-viz. This plus luggage helps separate the more responsible riders from the squids as they tend to ride with little safety equipment and are usually on sport bikes with no luggage. I have 2 LEO friends that have told me this...otherwise, it really would've never occurred to me.

What is a LEO?

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Sounds like the opinion of a couple of peeps that have not run one.  After 200K I can say what you describe isn't an issue.  The reason it isn't is because it is modulating all the time....it isn't the quick couple of flashes people use for signaling. And no it does not piss people off, in fact I have had multiple cagers tell me what a great idea it is.  One dude followed me into a gas station just to tell me that.

It has without a doubt save my butt a few times.

Depends on the amount of glare the headlight causes/achieves.. temperature, projectors

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

oh ok lol

I plan to wear full gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, proper boots or motorcycle shoes, thinking about getting pants too.

 

Get pants.  If you hit the ground without good pants you might as well be nekkid.  Motorcycling is an outdoor sport, so sometimes you get hot, sometimes you get cold and sometimes you get soaked.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got the attention of a restaurant owner a few weeks ago with my hi-vis jacket.  I came walking in the place with jacket on, carrying my helmet.  The guy rushes towards me with wide eyes and starts to say something....then he looks at my helmet and says "Holy shit you scared the hell outta me...I thought you were a fireman!"

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Qman said:

I got the attention of a restaurant owner a few weeks ago with my hi-vis jacket.  I came walking in the place with jacket on, carrying my helmet.  The guy rushes towards me with wide eyes and starts to say something....then he looks at my helmet and says "Holy shit you scared the hell outta me...I thought you were a fireman!"

:lol::lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Hi-viz works. Just looks stupid. More specifically, it looks British and that's no way to fashion. 

Doesnt look nearly as stupid as do-rags, assless chaps, fringes, quiltwork vests,...your basic pirate outfits.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...