(almost) 28mm pin, front stand

hiro

So, my Ninja 650 has a 28mm hole for the front stand. Should I get a Pitbull #15 pin for my non-Pitbull stand or just use sockets to adapt the size? Anyone have a spare #15 or know where to get one locally? Any stability issues using sockets?

I found that I could use a 21mm socket over a 15mm socket. Only thing is, the combination is too long, so I'd have to grind down the 15mm socket for a better fit. Also, the 21mm socket goes in far enough, but it stops against something inside the head tube. I wonder if it's a bad idea to put all the weight on that spot? I did think of using a huge washer to give the clamp something to rest on. Just have to find one.

It's like this one. http://www.genssi.com/index.php/motorcycle-stand-triple-tree-head-front-and-rear-spool-lift.html

The base of the original pin is about 19mm/0.75" wide and 30mm/1-1/8" long. I need the the top of the pin to be just under 28mm. I read that the #15 is 27.5mm and the 21mm socket is 27.75mm OD.

Edited by hiro

20 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Maybe you could use a big stick? Or a magic marker? I think those big markers are close to 28mm in diameter. 

Both good suggestions. If you can find one, a 28mm dildo may work too. I'd recommend one of the plastic ones though since the rubber ones may not be stable enough to hold the bike upright. 

I would have suggested you adapt the existing pin until the experience I had two days ago! 

My Bandit needs a 24mm pin ('03 Hayabusa stem, triple, and forks) so I took the 13mm pin I had and put a stack of 12mm flat washers on it (24mm OD) and welded the ID of top one to the top of the pin.  It fit the steering stem perfectly and I pulled the wheel and one fork to replace seals.  While pulling the second fork, the pin cracked and folded just below the bottom washer.  It didn't break all the way through or my bike would have fallen on the floor.  If I had a fairing it would have gotten its nose cracked from the stand folding up.

I was able to get a floor jack and the scissor jack from my wife's car under the frame rail on each side and get it back up so I could get the front stand out.  I finished the forks and I was very happy to get the wheel back on and remove my hastily jury-rigged lift.

Needless to say, I won't mess with a half assed pin again.

Edited by MSerfozo
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, what said:

Both good suggestions. If you can find one, a 28mm dildo may work too. I'd recommend one of the plastic ones though since the rubber ones may not be stable enough to hold the bike upright. 

So...how do you know so much about that? Wait. I don't want know. heh

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MSerfozo said:

I would have suggested you adapt the existing pin until the experience I had two days ago! 

My Bandit needs a 24mm pin ('03 Hayabusa stem, triple, and forks) so I took the 13mm pin I had and put a stack of 12mm flat washers on it (24mm OD) and welded the ID of top one to the top of the pin.  It fit the steering stem perfectly and I pulled the wheel and one fork to replace seals.  While pulling the second fork, the pin cracked and folded just below the bottom washer.  It didn't break all the way through or my bike would have fallen on the floor.  If I had a fairing it would have gotten its nose cracked from the stand folding up.

I was able to get a floor jack and the scissor jack from my wife's car under the frame rail on each side and get it back up so I could get the front stand out.  I finished the forks and I was very happy to get the wheel back on and remove my hastily jury-rigged lift.

Needless to say, I won't mess with a half assed pin again.

Oh, wow. Almost a disaster.

I rolled out and grabbed the #15. It was $20 tho. Shown next to a 13mm pin. My plan was to use a 15mm pin and two sockets. Might cost $3 and some work, but if I drop the bike and hit my wife's car, I'm done. haha It still might need something like a washer to give the clamp something to rest on?

Pitbull15pin.jpg.6dbe8827b9ff43e41824482551b65ad4.jpg

20 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

Thank you for this thread; was starting to get pissed stuck at work on a beautiful day. 

I got another topic if that helped. heh (R&G no-cut vs Woodcraft cut vs nothing frame sliders.)

2 hours ago, motocat12 said:

.15 mm  <1% on each side.  put it in the freezer then lube it

Yeah, like remove the plastic wrap and the zinc coating on one side and the paint on the other side. If they rust together, would never have to worry about the pin falling out!

Double adapted the 15mm pin to 27.75mm. Cost $3.40 with tax for the 15mm socket and optional washer. The only concern is that, if the edge of the washer is pressed it lifts the sockets! Might be nice to tack weld the washer and 15mm socket, but I don't weld. heh Haven't tried it yet, but if it fails, I probably will sweep the incident under the rug.

21mm_pin_parts.jpg.669188bafdc977153fad8cbc473ee85e.jpg21mm_pin_together.jpg.9c35fc4f95e6035347d67b5edd47b546.jpg

Edited by hiro

11 minutes ago, MSerfozo said:

Hope yours works better than mine did.  :o

Yeah, it's a little scary. I've been wondering why yours failed the way it did.  It would suck even to have the socket fall on the fender or something.