New Rider What is it like to ride in Ohio(Cincinnati in the summer time) What type of gear to keep cool is best?

yoshiii

:welcomeor:

It depends on what type of bike and riding you do.  Sport bike or HD, then leather is probably your best route.  Touring bike,  and your best route is probably mesh or synthetic shell (Cordura or other).

Edited by Connie14

12 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

:welcomeor:

It depends on what type of bike and riding you do.  Sport bike or HD, then leather is probably your best route.  Touring bike,  and your best route is probably mesh or synthetic shell (Cordura or other).

Hello 

Why leather for sport or HD?  Is there any type of summer leather wear?

There is vented leather but leather will always be hotter than mesh. Armored mesh gear is good for Ohio summer. Leather starts to really suck when it gets up around 90. That said I wear my track leathers every time I go out for a ride in the country. Around town is jeans and a mesh jacket. Textile I can't comment on since I've never owned any. 

Invest in some quality riding boots and gloves. I've seen some bad leg injuries that could have been prevented if the rider was wearing proper boots. 

3 minutes ago, what said:

Invest in some quality riding boots and gloves. I've seen some bad leg injuries that could have been prevented if the rider was wearing proper boots. 

I want to hear more about the boots topic. I probably need better everything.

BTW, a critical thing about armour is that it needs to stay were it should be, so fit is important. My mesh jacket, the elbow pads aren't really held in the ideal place unless I wear a thicker shirt underneath. I slid out once and the forearm and shoulder areas were scuffed, so I'm glad I had some protection there.

2 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Hello 

Why leather for sport or HD?  Is there any type of summer leather wear?

Leather is a popular option among the HD crowd for looks and protection.  Leather is popular with sport bikes for its superior protection, if you go down at high speeds.  They are 2 very different sets of leathers.   I am sorry, but I cannot answer on the summer weather wear.  I don't have any leather suits.

9 hours ago, hiro said:

I want to hear more about the boots topic. I probably need better everything.

BTW, a critical thing about armour is that it needs to stay were it should be, so fit is important. My mesh jacket, the elbow pads aren't really held in the ideal place unless I wear a thicker shirt underneath. I slid out once and the forearm and shoulder areas were scuffed, so I'm glad I had some protection there.

Boots are a 100% of the time thing for me. Work or casual ride with friends to dinner I wear my Cortech vice which have ankle support. Riding with the fucks on here or if I'm going to be doing illegal things I wear my Cortech Latigos. Latigos were around $170 and vices were around $100. It does appear Cortech is helmet house's (whole sales for dealers) house brand and that they share very similar attributes to the likes of Speed and Strength and Scorpion etc.  

• Upvote 1

At the very least good lace-up boots are important. At least 8 inch tall boots are my preference.  Also, look at the soles.  Material composition and tread design should be of the nature that they resist you losing your footing should you put your foot down at a stop where fluids, sand, gravel or other gook has accumulated at traffic signals, stop signs.

You have to find a happy medium for comfort, protection and riding style. Full power ranger leather race suit is obviously going to be the top tier of protection and some choose to run this year round reguardless of weather conditions. I say fuck that, I'm noting going to be miserable on my bike because I fear what might happen, if I thought that way I might as well sell the bike and stay at home. Full textile will still be warm but will vent better and offer good protection. The mesh jackets is a step down in protection but will be the most comfortable. SO, there is no right or wrong answer just depends on the protection level vs comfort level you are looking for. If your a moderate rider the mesh will be good protection in 90% of the circumstances, but if your a rider that wants to do Mach Retard every where obviously the leather power ranger suit might be the way to go. What ever you choose will obviously better than nothing at all. Helmet. ankle support boots, solid jeans, any kind of riding jacket and riding gloves at a minimum.

10 hours ago, 2talltim said:

You have to find a happy medium for comfort, protection and riding style. Full power ranger leather race suit is obviously going to be the top tier of protection and some choose to run this year round reguardless of weather conditions. I say fuck that, I'm noting going to be miserable on my bike because I fear what might happen, if I thought that way I might as well sell the bike and stay at home. Full textile will still be warm but will vent better and offer good protection. The mesh jackets is a step down in protection but will be the most comfortable. SO, there is no right or wrong answer just depends on the protection level vs comfort level you are looking for. If your a moderate rider the mesh will be good protection in 90% of the circumstances, but if your a rider that wants to do Mach Retard every where obviously the leather power ranger suit might be the way to go. What ever you choose will obviously better than nothing at all. Helmet. ankle support boots, solid jeans, any kind of riding jacket and riding gloves at a minimum.

I am not looking to go mach one down the street

Fun safe riding is my choice

So if mesh is not the best, maybe I will look at something else. Solid jeans, what would be considered solid jeans?  

28 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

So if mesh is not the best, maybe I will look at something else. Solid jeans, what would be considered solid jeans?  

Just a quality brand.  Like I said that's a minimum... minimum. In other words better than nothing. Nothing being shorts or jogging pants. 

I run textile tour jacket and over pants. Fits my needs and offers medium protection and moderate comfort.

I like my mesh jacket on hot days (Rev'it Airwave). I recently upgraded to a mesh riding pant (Tourmaster Venture Air) that I can wear shorts underneath and stay cool. I know the mesh isn't the safest but it's better than no gear. I prefer a vented leather glove (Held Rodney) and boots at all times. I wear a lace up hiking boot to work when commuting, and zip up touring boot when out riding (TCX X-Five).

14 hours ago, yoshiii said:

TBH no off-the-rack jeans are going to offer any kind of valid protection in a crash. It's just cotton -- they'll explode as soon as you touch down.

I wear a pair of Bull-It riding jeans -- they're stretchy and they have a liner material called covec that's heat resistant, abrasion resistant and cut-proof; they look good, too. If you're dead-set on jeans, try to find a pair of riding-specific jeans that offers full abrasion-resistant liners.

Ttc

3 hours ago, Ryan_c_F said:

TBH no off-the-rack jeans are going to offer any kind of valid protection in a crash. It's just cotton -- they'll explode as soon as you touch down.

I wear a pair of Bull-It riding jeans -- they're stretchy and they have a liner material called covec that's heat resistant, abrasion resistant and cut-proof; they look good, too. If you're dead-set on jeans, try to find a pair of riding-specific jeans that offers full abrasion-resistant liners.

Looking for something cool to wear in the summer time. I mean temperature cool.

On 4/18/2017 at 2:35 PM, yoshiii said:

Ttc

Looking for something cool to wear in the summer time. I mean temperature cool.

Oh i know -- those lined jeans aren't bad at all. i've worn them around work several times already this year.

They're a LITTLE humid, in a "didn't have any clean underwear left so I threw a pair of pajama pants on underneath" kind of way. The material itself is woven but it's not as insulating as a wool or dedicated thermal liner would be, so I believe it'll be passable in the summer. It's really breathable, so as soon as you get on the move it'll cool off.

Gte some Bohn armor to wear under pants and get some Draggin' or similar type jeans to wear over it. Competition Accessories have had their Sliders pants on sale a lot lately. The Bohn armor is not necessarily cheap but there are 2 grea things about it. 1) it's basically armor in thin spandex so the armor stays in place rather than floating around like they do in overpants. 2) since it's a thin spandex, it's cool (temp) to wear under the kevlar jeans.

The only time I wear overpants anymore is for rain gear.

*EDIT* I believe if you are an AMA member you get a discount on Bohn armor.

Edited by ScubaCinci

I just picked up Bull-it SR4 jeans for $80 before tax locally. (Thinking about some D30 knee armour, and maybe hip. I wonder if hip armour might give me some not-so-sexy curves. heh)

From my limited experience, the taller the windscreen, the hotter I get. Also, in my case, a taller windscreen increased wind noise, so I go lower and go without. I don't know if fairings make a temperature difference. I've always had fairings in all my 2 years.

Edited by hiro

I think IP hit the nail on the head. I have basically been doing exactly what he stated in his posts since my return to motorcycling. I now have multiple options for gloves, jackets, pants, and a leather suit. I never would have been able to buy it all at once. Accumulate it as you go. Another option is to keep your eyes open here. I have bought a couple of things used from members here. Sometimes it's free even. 

6 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

That black an neon one looks like it would be good for hi-viz without being overkill. Combined with a helmet with some white or matching neon or reflective tape.  1051-5602.jpg

• Upvote 1