New Rider what size bike is good?

yoshiii

33 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Okay I haven't read this entire thread but I get the jist of where it's going. I'm now going to throw my hat in the ring. I really don't think it matters how may horse powers or the weight of any bike is for any level rider. IF, you are smart. Just because a bike might have 150 horse powers or 110lbs of torque it dosnt mean you have to use it. Now I totally understand the temptation and if you know for a fact you cant control that temptation don't go big, stay small and easy. Now im not saying you need to go out and buy a R1 or a H2 or a Busa Brah. But I think a nice 600R bike or even a 750 would make a nice first bike to be able to grow into with out having to do the step up methods and waste money. But again that is only IF you can stay smart about it. My very first street bike was 750 GSXR and I think I turned out very well for a rider. I knew my limits and knew what the bike was capable of and never pushed it too hard. I don't or didnt do any dank whoolies or stoppies or burnout of any of the squid shit. Other than a drop in the gravel at a stop sign Ive never been down (knock on wood) and Ive had great success as a rider, being smart. I went from my Gixxer 750, to a TL1000S, to Vstrom1000 to my now Concours1400. Not saying my way is for everyone but it worked for me learning to grow into a bigger bike instead of growing out of a smaller one.

I hate to contradict, but suggesting that a modern (last 10+ yrs) 600R or any similar track-purposed bike is a good beginner bike is something id have to disagree with.  These bikes are meant to be ridden at their upper rev range, have comparably little torque down low, and have steep rake angles....the list goes on.  The OP also stated they want to commute, which means they want comfort and some cargo carrying capability.   Not the traits of a "R" bike.  I'm sorry, but I'll respectfully disagree.  Stick with something a little more street based.  

5 minutes ago, Qman said:

I hate to contradict, but suggesting that a modern (last 10+ yrs) 600R or any similar track-purposed bike is a good beginner bike is something id have to disagree with.  These bikes are meant to be ridden at their upper rev range, have comparably little torque down low, and have steep rake angles....the list goes on.  The OP also stated they want to commute, which means they want comfort and some cargo carrying capability.   Not the traits of a "R" bike.  I'm sorry, but I'll respectfully disagree.  Stick with something a little more street based.  

I'm saying get what he "wants" and grow into it. He already said he wanted and naked or a sport bike. Why would a guy go buy something he dosnt want just because it's more commuter friendly? We are talking size and power of a bike here I thought, not style. He's already decided the style he wants.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I don't know. I love the Supersport but fuck commuting on it. I could ride her for 450 miles on two-lanes all weekend, but stick me in stop&go traffic and I'll light her on fire and walk home. 

Ergos are king when commuting is involved. I'm probably too old to have constructive comments for our newb rider. 600s are amazing at the track and carving corners. Other than that... not sure why one would commute on it. 

I live in the country and still would rather not commute on the bike. To suit up for a 11 mile ride seems like a waste and then I have to stow my lunch bucket on the bike and then get to work and stow my gear. Fuck that. The bike is for enjoyment not to ride to a place I don't want to be in the first place. I put 10k plus a year on the bike and almost never ride to work.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, what said:

Ask Danimal about growing out of an sv650. 

Dan isn't 6'1" I really don't know how you ridden a small framed bike as long as you have. And a SV is a great choice I just think a 500 or smaller would be too small.  

37 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Dan isn't 6'1" I really don't know how you ridden a small framed bike as long as you have. And a SV is a great choice I just think a 500 or smaller would be too small.  

Yeah I think a 500 wouldn't last more than a year or 2. 

For reference I'm 6'6 290 and I ride a triumph street triple r which is about the same ergonomics as a standard sv650 (non-s model). I think at 6'1 the OP would be comfortable on a standard sv650. However I do tend to agree that  not every rider has to start on small displacement bike. 

Supersports are very uncomfortable for me on longer days and I would not commute on one. 

27 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Dan is now riding a 250, and as you know he knows how to ride a bike fast.

Honda's 500s are not really small bikes. They are more comfortable for a tall rider than any supersport I have tried. Similar to the SV. The CB500X is even more open.

If you want a sporty bike the ergos are going to be pretty tight. Sure some people enjoy riding a couch at mach retard :D but that is not what everyone wants nor should you start there. 

Don't plan on your first bike being your last bike. Nearly everyone goes through multiple bikes and few regret the experience. Buy used, figure out what you like and dont like and upgrade.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CBBaron said:

Don't plan on your first bike being your last bike. Nearly everyone goes through multiple bikes and few regret the experience. Buy used, figure out what you like and dont like and upgrade.

This is the correct answer.  Mods lock this thread, it is done.

Just now, 2talltim said:

He's not really a MOD more of Casper's alter ego than anything else. ;) 

I mean I know the only reason he gets on here is to hate on Casper. Honestly though that seems to be about the only thing mods actually do on these forums.