New Rider what size bike is good?

yoshiii

16 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

But it's tractable, predictable  power. The 750 is probably a bit much for a new rider tho.

That it is. Anything 3rd gear wide open throttle it's absolutely controllable. Wide open in first or second it's just as fast as nearly anything else. It hits 70mph in first before fuel shut off with my fatass on it. 

20 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

The motor in that bike is exactly the same as the 600 F3 it just has flat slide carbs for better low rpm fueling. It's ok to ride on the street like a sane person but it really does like to sing at high revs. Instant torque is one thing the 599 does not have. It really takes about 3500rpms to feel anything. But it can power wheelie in first and second

Wow, doesn't take much to get to 3500 RPM? I tend to cruise around on the Ninja 650 at 4000 RPM.

13 hours ago, dustinsn3485 said:

I'll likely have a 2007 Ninja 650 to sell soon. Its a little rough aestheticly, but mechanically in good shape, short a set of tires. It would also require a weekend trip to get it from me.

Its likely a little small for someone your size, but the motor is right for a new rider.  You'd probably do best on a v Strom or similar, it would fit your height better.

Thank you for the offer but its going to take me a couple of months to save up for a bike if over 1000 dollars.

How much are you selling it for?

15 hours ago, hiro said:

Check out this site for getting an idea of how you might fit on different bikes. http://cycle-ergo.com/

There's usually a big difference between a 600 and a 650, I think. The 600 is usually a super-sport while a 650 is more of a sport-touring bike.

For a taller person, what about something like a Versys or V-strom?

Yeah, I think the 300 would be too small for your height. If you were closer, I'd let you try mine. A Ninja 500 might be good as a starter. It's harder to learn if you're worried about scratching a pretty new(er) bike. Plan to learn on it, then re-sell. By then you'll have a better idea of what to invest in.

Thanks that site helps.

Hello,

Gratz on getting your first bike and welcome to the world of 2 wheels! :)

I started on a brand new 2009 Ninja 250R. Loved that bike and wish I still had it.

I sold it due to my GF (back then never knew she would LOVE to ride 2UP on the back with me).

So enter my 2009 Ninja 650R. (bought brand new in 2010) .

I researched alot for months and I went to many many DEMO DAYS here in Michigan and Demo Rode lots of different bikes!

The Ninja 650R fit my budget, Insurance cost and it was 2UP friendly with it having that "ugly" (said by the haters) Big Banana Seat!

I used to weigh 170lbs, 180 with full gear on.

These days I weigh 215/225 fully geared! I'm also 5'9" 31" inseam and can flatfoot my bike. no lowered suspension here!

My old Ninja 650R pulls my weight just fine, even with 43,000 miles! Old Betsy still keeps me happy enuff NOT to sell her.

To each's own. If I had more money to afford a 2nd bike, etc, sure I would have a Big Touring Concours-14ABS just for 2up riding and Trackday only bike. But the 650R does it all.

If your taller than me, a Versys 650/1000LT might be a more roomy for ya! There isnt much difference for sportbikes using the common "standard foot peg position".

If you need more "leg room" then a Cruiser style bike will have those forward foot pegs, giving you more room. But they will scrape easy when you try to drop around a corner! :)

6 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Great all around bike with a upright seating position to see over trafic while commuting. Wide handle bars for leverage for swerveing thru trafice. Great used prices. 6'1'' leg room. Go for the sport bike next time. You may not want to.

Looks sporty

5 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Vstrom 650, one of the best bike I ever rode. Great for tall guys, engine is smooth, upright easier to ride. Easier to learn on yet have enough power to keep you happy. Look for old models with abs post 2008, or all had abs post 2012. As new rider strongly recommend abs. Can be had for cheap and sold easily too. 

plus looks bigger than it is and feels "sufficient and not tiny"  when u sit in it,  and will easily engulf your frame in it. Once it starts rolling it just easiest to ride. The only negative is the stereotyping associated with looks /  if your into that sorta thing is, its not the cool colorful college girl magnet flashy looking sports bike. Its more of a mature learned bearded adventurous lumberjack kinda tough bike, wise women magnet 

Lol

Not worried about attracting women. want something thats fun to ride and not going to race 2000 mph down the street

I am interested in learning basic moto gp riding.  Does that affect the type of bike I buy?

5 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

Anything less than a Hyabusa and it's just a waste. If you do get something less than a Hyabusa all your friends and family will ridicule you and call you a woman.

lol

No dont like those bikes.

2 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Main question here is budget. If you're in the 'few thousand' dollar range, look into a bandit 600, fz6, sv650, ninja650 etc. Very capable bikes, reasonably comfy for taller riders and you will not get bored of them easily. If your budget is more in the ten Grand or close to it neighborhood, spring for one of the new Honda cb650's gsxs750 or  fz07, Still plenty of bike but not as beastly as an all out sport bike.  

Not sure how much I will have. saving.  Was hoping I could get something in the 2000 dollar range. If not Ill save up more.

1 hour ago, hiro said:

I saw a 2006 Hornet 599 for $3000 on CR. Only has a rusted ding on the tank. Maybe too much power? If I'm not mistaken, inline-4's need to rev up a bit before pumping out their power? A new rider could get into trouble with instant torque from a stop?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/6090139835.html

Honda Hornet? They sold those in America? I thought they were only in Japan. They are still popular there.

7 minutes ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

Hello,

Gratz on getting your first bike and welcome to the world of 2 wheels! :)

I started on a brand new 2009 Ninja 250R. Loved that bike and wish I still had it.

I sold it due to my GF (back then never knew she would LOVE to ride 2UP on the back with me).

So enter my 2009 Ninja 650R. (bought brand new in 2010) .

I researched alot for months and I went to many many DEMO DAYS here in Michigan and Demo Rode lots of different bikes!

The Ninja 650R fit my budget, Insurance cost and it was 2UP friendly with it having that "ugly" (said by the haters) Big Banana Seat!

I used to weigh 170lbs, 180 with full gear on.

These days I weigh 215/225 fully geared! I'm also 5'9" 31" inseam and can flatfoot my bike. no lowered suspension here!

My old Ninja 650R pulls my weight just fine, even with 43,000 miles! Old Betsy still keeps me happy enuff NOT to sell her.

To each's own. If I had more money to afford a 2nd bike, etc, sure I would have a Big Touring Concours-14ABS just for 2up riding and Trackday only bike. But the 650R does it all.

If your taller than me, a Versys 650/1000LT might be a more roomy for ya! There isnt much difference for sportbikes using the common "standard foot peg position".

If you need more "leg room" then a Cruiser style bike will have those forward foot pegs, giving you more room. But they will scrape easy when you try to drop around a corner! :)

Thanks

Dont want a crusing bike, at least not for my first bike, maybe a second bike.  

So my weight and height is not a big problem it seems for 500 and up bikes.

I will add one thing from my experience from going from a Ninja 250R to 650R.

250R was much more agile, but also had a much lower Center of Gravity!

650R only weighs like 50lbs more, but that weight is felt due to the higher center of gravity.

I noticed it the first time I rode the 650R and wasnt sure I liked it, but after 40 miles I got used to it and loved it.

pushing both bikes around, no doubt the 250R was "tiny" lower and lighter than the 650R, but nothing like a 900 lbs Goldwing! LOL :D

2 minutes ago, Scorpion-Ninja said:

I will add one thing from my experience from going from a Ninja 250R to 650R.

250R was much more agile, but also had a much lower Center of Gravity!

650R only weighs like 50lbs more, but that weight is felt due to the higher center of gravity.

I noticed it the first time I rode the 650R and wasnt sure I liked it, but after 40 miles I got used to it and loved it.

pushing both bikes around, no doubt the 250R was "tiny" lower and lighter than the 650R, but nothing like a 900 lbs Goldwing! LOL :D

Not hard to handle?

I've seen new left-over models for $4000-5000. You could even finance those, I would assume. But for a first bike, probably $2200-$3500 would work. Don't forget to invest in protective gear and for an older bike you'll probably want to plan on getting new tires. I just ordered tires for about $227 with a $40 rebate. (Rebate ends soon for that brand.)

I saw a Ninja 500 for $2300 that I was interested in before I got the Ninja 650 for $3800.

2006 Suzuki V-Strom 650 - Adventure ready! (Atlanta, GA) - $3300

Link:    http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/362458-2006-suzuki-v-strom-650-adventure-ready-atlanta-ga-%243300.html

36,500 miles.
New tires, oil recently changed.

Accessories:
- Centerstand
- Enduro Guardian bash plate
- Givi crash bars
- Soft luggage guards
- Tool tube
- Pelican topcase with metal rails for bungee net
- Sargent seat with underseat medkit
- Aftermarket handlebars (less noodley)
- Custom switchplate controlling electronics, 1 switch open for expansion, button for garage opener
- Voltmeter
- Forkmounted LED foglights
- HAM radio waterproof mount (fits Baofeng UV5R), antenna
- Leg air deflectors
- Hand air deflectors from a DL1000
- 12v power outlet on dash
- Heated grips (currently broken)
- Dash light
- Topcase light
- Tool tube light
- Underseat light
- Aftermarket vinyl graphics
- Rims from a 2008 V-Strom -- one of the only red V-Stroms out there with silver rims

$3500.

4 hours ago, yoshiii said:

Thank you for the offer but its going to take me a couple of months to save up for a bike if over 1000 dollars.

How much are you selling it for?

$2300 in this thread. I'm gonna put it on Craigslist for around $3000 to see if anyone is serious about buying.

Loved the Vstrom, great all around bike, for commuting and exploring back roads. Its capable of moderate trail rides and aggressive but its not good at either. If you are interested in more aggressive road riding then you should look at a sportier bike than the Vstrom. As mentioned the SV650 is probably going to be a good choice. Sporty enough for the track but comfortable enough for distance. Same basic engine as the Vstrom also.

Im about your size and started on a Ninja 250 and don't regret it. The light weight and moderate power make it easy to learn to ride. You can wring the engine and throw it through corners without as much danger as the much faster bikes. Buy used and you can sell when something more interesting catches your eye for not much loss. I think I broke even on mine and that was trading it in on the next bike after riding a year and 7000 miles.

Since your are tall another option for fun but easy to ride bike is a dual sport or supermoto. Currently I have a DRZ400SM. This style of bike doesn't have the top speed of the multi-cylinder bikes but on tight roads can be ridden very aggressively. The dirtbike style riding position is less cramped than the sportier bike. And if you drop the bike while doing stupid stuff at low speeds, you just laugh it off and pick up the bike, vs crying over scratched and broken fairings, turn signals and levers on sport bikes. :D

• Upvote 2

Okay I haven't read this entire thread but I get the jist of where it's going. I'm now going to throw my hat in the ring. I really don't think it matters how may horse powers or the weight of any bike is for any level rider. IF, you are smart. Just because a bike might have 150 horse powers or 110lbs of torque it dosnt mean you have to use it. Now I totally understand the temptation and if you know for a fact you cant control that temptation don't go big, stay small and easy. Now im not saying you need to go out and buy a R1 or a H2 or a Busa Brah. But I think a nice 600R bike or even a 750 would make a nice first bike to be able to grow into with out having to do the step up methods and waste money. But again that is only IF you can stay smart about it. My very first street bike was 750 GSXR and I think I turned out very well for a rider. I knew my limits and knew what the bike was capable of and never pushed it too hard. I don't or didnt do any dank whoolies or stoppies or burnout of any of the squid shit. Other than a drop in the gravel at a stop sign Ive never been down (knock on wood) and Ive had great success as a rider, being smart. I went from my Gixxer 750, to a TL1000S, to Vstrom1000 to my now Concours1400. Not saying my way is for everyone but it worked for me learning to grow into a bigger bike instead of growing out of a smaller one.

Edited by 2talltim

20 hours ago, zx3vfr said:

The motor in that bike is exactly the same as the 600 F3 it just has flat slide carbs for better low rpm fueling. It's ok to ride on the street like a sane person but it really does like to sing at high revs. Instant torque is one thing the 599 does not have. It really takes about 3500rpms to feel anything. But it can power wheelie in first and second

@Gump had one of these it was very capable and nimble.