New Rider what size bike is good?

yoshiii

Hello

I am a new rider and just completed the Ohio BRC.

I am looking for my first bike.

My instructor suggested I get a 500cc bike, he pulled me aside and mentioned this to me after he observed me during the class. I think the 250 bikes that we were using was too small for me.

My knees came up to the gas tank.  I am 6'1. 

I am looking at 300, 500, and 600cc bikes.  I want to buy a naked bike or a sport bike.  I want something to enjoy riding and I will use the bike for daily commutes.  

I have watched many youtube videos of people saying that if a person buys a bike that is too small in the beginning, the person usually outgrows the bike quickly.  I dont want to make that mistake.

Any suggestions.

Sv650 are good bikes, epecially when  you are first starting of out.  Congrats on starting out with the BRC before jumping into motorcycle ownership.  That is the way to go.  

Edited by Connie14
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Sv650 are good bikes, epecially when  you are first starting of out.  Congrats on starting out with the BRC before jumping into motorcycle ownership.  That is the way to go.  

Thanks

I want to make sure I know how to ride safely and properly.

So a 300 would be too small?

Check out this site for getting an idea of how you might fit on different bikes. http://cycle-ergo.com/

There's usually a big difference between a 600 and a 650, I think. The 600 is usually a super-sport while a 650 is more of a sport-touring bike.

For a taller person, what about something like a Versys or V-strom?

Yeah, I think the 300 would be too small for your height. If you were closer, I'd let you try mine. A Ninja 500 might be good as a starter. It's harder to learn if you're worried about scratching a pretty new(er) bike. Plan to learn on it, then re-sell. By then you'll have a better idea of what to invest in.

It's really subjective.  It depends on how you felt on the 250 in your BRC.  I would never disuade anyone from starting out on a small bike.   I still have a 250 in my garage,  and I have been riding for a couple of decades. 

Some things about the 300 for me...I think it was excellent for learning on and for shorter rides with more turns than long highways. It compels you to learn about the power band and gearing. Very light and turns quick. It does leave you wanted more torque after some time. Oh, in my case, the ABS brakes added to my confidence on wet roads. It activated the rear ABS a few times.

What is your weight, by the way? Could make a difference.

There is also the CBR500 and CB500, going by bikes I've seen on Craigslist recently. (I'm still adjusting to moving from the Ninja 300 to the Ninja 650. Legs still feel a little folded and I'm only 5'8" at best. Perfect for Japanese who are used to sitting seiza. heh)

Edited by hiro

20 minutes ago, hiro said:

What is your weight, by the way? Could make a difference.

There is also the CBR500 and CB500, going by bikes I've seen on Craigslist recently. (I'm still adjusting to moving from the Ninja 300 to the Ninja 650. Legs still feel a little folded and I'm only 5'8" at best. Perfect for Japanese who are used to sitting seiza. heh)

Ehhh konba wa Nihonjin desu ka?

I weigh 230but my normal weight is 200, I gained some weight.

I'll likely have a 2007 Ninja 650 to sell soon. Its a little rough aestheticly, but mechanically in good shape, short a set of tires. It would also require a weekend trip to get it from me.

Its likely a little small for someone your size, but the motor is right for a new rider.  You'd probably do best on a v Strom or similar, it would fit your height better.

4 minutes ago, dustinsn3485 said:

Its likely a little small for someone your size, but the motor is right for a new rider.  You'd probably do best on a v Strom or similar, it would fit your height better.

If it were me, I probably would have gotten in trouble starting on a 650, but I'm only about 150-155 pounds. Just due to its ability to accelerate compared to the 300. The 650 does seem manageable enough though. The 2012 650 seems smoother than the 300 when cracking the throttle open a little or rolling around slow. A bit heavier, of course, but not bad at all. (I don't like how far the shifter is from the peg. My only issue. And I have a size 11.5 boot, I think.)

Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Great all around bike with a upright seating position to see over trafic while commuting. Wide handle bars for leverage for swerveing thru trafice. Great used prices. 6'1'' leg room. Go for the sport bike next time. You may not want to.

Vstrom 650, one of the best bike I ever rode. Great for tall guys, engine is smooth, upright easier to ride. Easier to learn on yet have enough power to keep you happy. Look for old models with abs post 2008, or all had abs post 2012. As new rider strongly recommend abs. Can be had for cheap and sold easily too. 

plus looks bigger than it is and feels "sufficient and not tiny"  when u sit in it,  and will easily engulf your frame in it. Once it starts rolling it just easiest to ride. The only negative is the stereotyping associated with looks /  if your into that sorta thing is, its not the cool colorful college girl magnet flashy looking sports bike. Its more of a mature learned bearded adventurous lumberjack kinda tough bike, wise women magnet 

Edited by NinjaDoc

58 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

Anything less than a Hyabusa and it's just a waste. If you do get something less than a Hyabusa all your friends and family will ridicule you and call you a woman.

Only pussies ride stock Hyabusas. Turbo Hyabusa or supercharged H2. 

47 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Or the cheap way, stretch it to handicap handling

Stretching is the only way to keep the power on the ground. It's like F1 in the 80s. Who needs handling when you can go from 45mph to 200mph in 8 seconds. 

IMG_0448.JPG

Main question here is budget. If you're in the 'few thousand' dollar range, look into a bandit 600, fz6, sv650, ninja650 etc. Very capable bikes, reasonably comfy for taller riders and you will not get bored of them easily. If your budget is more in the ten Grand or close to it neighborhood, spring for one of the new Honda cb650's gsxs750 or  fz07, Still plenty of bike but not as beastly as an all out sport bike.  

16 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

Main question here is budget. If you're in the 'few thousand' dollar range, look into a bandit 600, fz6, sv650, ninja650 etc. Very capable bikes, reasonably comfy for taller riders and you will not get bored of them easily. If your budget is more in the ten Grand or close to it neighborhood, spring for one of the new Honda cb650's gsxs750 or  fz07, Still plenty of bike but not as beastly as an all out sport bike.  

Cbr650 has like 80hp fz7 just a touch less. Gsxs750 2015 was rocking 100hp and the 2017(8?) is rocking 110. With gobs of torque below 5k.  That's a lot of power down low for a new rider. Basically same power as say an F3/F4i 600 with more torque. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, hiro said:

I saw a 2006 Hornet 599 for $3000 on CR. Only has a rusted ding on the tank. Maybe too much power? If I'm not mistaken, inline-4's need to rev up a bit before pumping out their power? A new rider could get into trouble with instant torque from a stop?

https://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/6090139835.html

The motor in that bike is exactly the same as the 600 F3 it just has flat slide carbs for better low rpm fueling. It's ok to ride on the street like a sane person but it really does like to sing at high revs. Instant torque is one thing the 599 does not have. It really takes about 3500rpms to feel anything. But it can power wheelie in first and second

Edited by zx3vfr