Mohican 100 - June 3

jhawk

You're hardcore.  I didn't (and still don't) have the balls to register for this.

If I enjoy and excel at the 3-hour endurance race in PA on 5/13, I'll take a harder look at the 100-mile format.  For now it's something I'd like to do, but I don't think I could properly train for it right now.  Kids are too young. 

• 1 month later...

Ride was fun! Started out with back to back crashes on the initial climb. Just got em out the way right off the bat! I tend to bounce up and go after wards and left my phone behind, luckily it was spotted by motocat12 and retrieved. Thanks!

Mohican can be brutal, but wasn't to bad. Getting your ass kicked on the trails beats a day in the office!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats on finishing. That is an awesome accomplishment. Its all I can do to finish one lap of the park.

I have thought of doing the Mohican 100k but I need to be much more dedicated to my training and work on my skills before it can become a reality.

On 6/5/2017 at 7:39 AM, CBBaron said:

Congrats on finishing. That is an awesome accomplishment. Its all I can do to finish one lap of the park.

I have thought of doing the Mohican 100k but I need to be much more dedicated to my training and work on my skills before it can become a reality.

I think this would be a good goal for me as well.  I have yet to complete a full loop at Mohican, but I figure if I can do 2 loops, I can do the 100k race, and not worry about death.

Hardest thing is finding time to train.  I can't just take off and leave my wife with both kids for a whole day, every weekend.  There is a fundraising event in September(?) at Mohican.  You get pledges based on the number of laps you complete.  I think that would be a good reason to try to complete 2 laps this year, then maybe take the spin bike a bit more seriously in 2018, and be in 100k shape in June, 2018?

• Downvote 1

I didn't really train a lot for this. I do ride the road during the week and get to trails around the CLE area when open. Spent some time on the trainer over the winter, but not as much as I wanted. Will be more dedicated to trainerroad over this winter, just enjoying the outdoors now.

I've only been to Mohican twice before the race, once was last season. It isn't needed to go there every weekend, wouldn't hurt though! I just started MTB riding last summer and am by no means super skilled on the trails.

I plan on doing it again next year and bringing out a few other friends. If thinking about it, do it! It was an amazing experience. Just try to get as much climbing or simulated climbing done before next year and you will be fine. 

• Upvote 1

Royalview just opened this afternoon.  Of course my wife has a work event tonight, and I'm missing a day that I would normally be at the gym, or on the bike...

Really really hoping the trails dry out and stay open more consistently for the next few months.  I'm so close to the trailhead that I should be able to put in 10 miles any given night of the week without pissing off my wife... 

I also need to get a road bike, and confront my fear of riding a bicycle on the road.  CX season starts in September.  I'll start that on the fat bike, and then see if anyone has something my size for sale.   CX bike won't be ideal for road rides, but it will be a ton better than the fatty!