Black Fork Gravel Grinder

CBBaron

Black Fork Gravel Grinder

Anybody interested?

@redkow97 are you signed up yet.

I'm thinking I will do the 48 mile route, though I will likely wuss out if it looks like rain. Another mess like RAR and I will have to replace my entire drive train and cables.

That area should be much more challenging terrain though hopefully less challenging weather. 

22 hours ago, CBBaron said:

@redkow97 are you signed up yet.

I am Facebook friends with the guy promoting it, and I had thought I would probably do it, but there's a "grassroots" XC race scheduled at Vulture's Knob that day as well.  The knob is closer, the race is cheaper, and I prefer singletrack to gravel...  Plus I have to be home as early as possible on the 29th to help clean up for dinner/cookout guests. 

58 miles will take me over 4 hours. Probably over 5 hours...  Plus a 90-min drive each way...

I'm leaning toward racing at the Knob and getting to know that group. 

No problem, 

I will probably still do the BF gravel. I am not skilled or fit enough to race MTB. Last time I tried to ride VK it tried to kill me when I slipped off a skinny and landed hard on the board.

IP, I'm sure you could do it on the SS. I did a similar 60 mile ride out of Millersburg a few years ago on a SS CrossCheck. Just be prepared to walk a few hills. I actually had a better time on the SS than I did the following year on my geared bike.

Craig

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

I am not skilled or fit enough to race MTB. Last time I tried to ride VK it tried to kill me when I slipped off a skinny and landed hard on the board.

Not sure I am either, but I doubt there are skinnies in the XC race loop :)

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Just. Walk. Hills. ?? 

With a SS bike there are still 3 gears. Sitting and pedaling, Standing on the pedals and walking :D

In NEO I very seldom need the low gear, but if you can ride all the hills around Mohican on a SS without walking them you are much tougher than me.

• Upvote 1

my short gravel ride at the Indian Bear Lodge had a couple semi-serious hills.  That's close-ish to Mohican, and I can see how it's very possible for there to be some walking sections, even with a full cassette.