hiro

9 hours ago, mello dude said:

Ok really...do you guys do a flush out before a coolant refresh? 

Depends on how long it's been. If it's only been a couple years No I don't do it.  But if it's more than that or an unknown since last time, absolutely.

Edited by 2talltim

14 hours ago, mello dude said:

Been using the Honda type 2 coolant in bikes a looong time.. Honda Blue.... no issues... $14.99 a gallon at the Honda car dealer. 

This is a special case.  He just bought this bike and in another thread there is a pic of some nasty stuff in the coolant tank.

21 hours ago, mello dude said:

I would say that if you're changing coolant types, yes. If there are signs of contamination, yes. If it's been many years since the last change, yes. Routine change, maybe not. My 3-year-old bike and coolant showed some white stuff in the reservoir. A quick suggests that that indicates some aluminium corrosion. It wasn't much, so not a big deal. Three years is the recommended interval for that bike anyway.

Thunk of something. Using pre-mixed 50/50 coolant after flushing with distilled water...the coolant might be more diluted than 50/50. Not sure how much fluid is trapped in the system. OK for summer, but at the end of the year, I wonder if it would make any difference if like 1/2 quart were drained off, then topped up with more 50/50?

My coolant capacity is 1.3 quarts, so I'd have over half a quart left anyway. Assuming I bought two 1 quart bottles and that I'd be willing to pull the fairing off for that.

35 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

just buy an all in one presure/durometer/coolant gauge. the temp it freezes at is more important than 50/50

This is only half true...

For temperature only gage, yes this will work.

The coolant was most likely designed for 50/50 or higher coolant ratio to control corrosion and inhibit acid.

Reducing the amount would necessitate more frequent changes and possible corrosion failure.

What I read is that ethylene glycol doesn't really degrade that fast, but that the additives do. That's the difference between a 1-year coolant and a 5-year coolant. I guess watering it down too much isn't great either. My bike is not likely to get that cold though. This is Ohio and we have a garage. If we move, it will probably be to a warmer place. Probably 51-49 isn't the end of the world? haha

12 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Crush washers are for suckers. Steel pan with steel plug with 1/8" thick aluminum washer FTW. Never needs replaced.

The coolant drain did leak a little with just plain water. I flipped the washer before I put coolant in and gave it slightly more torque and it is good.

22 minutes ago, hiro said:

The coolant drain did leak a little with just plain water. I flipped the washer before I put coolant in and gave it slightly more torque and it is good.

I was talking oil pan :lol:carry on