hiro

Valvoline / Zerex Asian coolant, any good? Says silicate and borate free, phosphated hybrid organic acid technology. And it's red. heh

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-Asian-Vehicle-Antifreeze-with-Zerex-Pre-Mix-1-gal/49660461

From what I've read, Asia doesn't like silicate, but it's OK with phosphate. Europe doesn't like phosphate, but it's OK with some silicate. Universal coolant leaves out both, but has to replace it with something. (?) Anyway, mainly I keep hearing to avoid silicate in bikes because it will destroy water pumps.

Also, this stuff is rated for 5 years, but my manual suggests changes every 3 years. Better to change sooner rather than later? And I wonder if the highly recommended blue Honda Type II coolant is worth twice the price and the inconvenience of going to a dealership to get it.

4 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Don't know how correct I am but Ive always just used the green long life coolant in all my motos. Never had a problem.

That Peak coolant reads "phosphate-free and silicate-free" and meets ASTM D-3306 and ASTM D-4340 standards, so I guess that works.

I wanted propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol, but from what I could tell, the propylene coolants have some silicate in them. They also seem to cost more.

Just now, 2talltim said:

The peak is available EVERYWHERE if you would need a top off or refill on the road. That's the way I look at things. I don't want to stranded somewhere because I'm a coolant snob :lol: 

Right. That might be a problem with propylene. The "Asian" stuff seems to be more widely available, too.

1 minute ago, what said:

I see it at every motorcycle shop I stop at. 

https://www.amazon.com/Honda-08C50-C321S02-Coolant-Ready-quart/dp/B0039OTLRW for reference.

It's like $8.00/qt at the motorcycle shop next to my office. 

Ah. From what people say, the Honda Type II car coolant is the same and should cost much less. I don't know about the local price, but Amazon has it for $23 for a gallon.

1 hour ago, 2talltim said:

Just go to walmart and get a gallon of peak for $8 and be done with it.

I got the Valvoline Asian coolant already from Walmart. It was $11-12. Also some Castrol Power1 oil and a Hi-Flo filter with the nut on the top. Just makes it easier to change.

5 hours ago, 2talltim said:

The peak is available EVERYWHERE if you would need a top off or refill on the road. That's the way I look at things. I don't want to stranded somewhere because I'm a coolant snob :lol: 

I wish I had this thought process before :( I went and flushed system and filled it up with engine ice. But that thing seemed to work and kept the zook14 1-2 bar lower than the stock coolant. But it's hard to come by and in emergency I might be stuck. 

8 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

I wish I had this thought process before :( I went and flushed system and filled it up with engine ice. But that thing seemed to work and kept the zook14 1-2 bar lower than the stock coolant. But it's hard to come by and in emergency I might be stuck. 

Bastard, you talked me into that shit. Was a total disaster, took it back out in two weeks.

8 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Bastard, you talked me into that shit. Was a total disaster, took it back out in two weeks.

I guess it served its purpose then hahahaha 

but really what happened? I just did another flush and fill with that :( 

Just now, Tonik said:

Ran hotter. Bastard.

You or the bike? :)  I guess if all the fill process was right then it's a ymmv kind of scenario. So far it's been good call for me on three different types of bike. wont deny the possibility of bias hehehe and just like that we embark on a coolant thread. 

36 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

You or the bike? :)  I guess if all the fill process was right then it's a ymmv kind of scenario. So far it's been good call for me on three different types of bike. wont deny the possibility of bias hehehe and just like that we embark on a coolant thread. 

The fill process was correct. I was wrenching on bikes while you were still swimming around in you dads gonads.

We need a drop mic emoji.

Edited by Tonik

I was planning to try flushing with 50/50 vinegar and distilled water, then just plain distilled water. (Before adding real coolant.) Will it blow up or just become a little more tasty? I wonder if I could put that flush water down the sink.

Edited by hiro

Just now, hiro said:

I was planning to try flushing with 50/50 vinegar and distilled water, then just plain distilled water. (Before adding real coolant.) Will it blow up or just become a little more tasty?

That is the proper way to do it. Probably overkill, which is what most of us do.

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

That is the proper way to do it. Probably overkill, which is what most of us do.

Maybe I'll just the vinegar mix for the bike with the gunk in the overflow tank then. The other one should be clean.

2 minutes ago, hiro said:

Maybe I'll just the vinegar mix for the bike with the gunk in the overflow tank then. The other one should be clean.

Noooo, you are a biker now. Do it exactly right every time. Its in our genes man. We fix stuff on our bikes thar are not even broke.

• Upvote 1