Pivot steering

durk

Thanks for all the input guys. @blue03636 the video made sense as I watched it. Now as long as I did not bite off more than I can chew by diving into checking and possibly adjusting the valves on the bike I'll hopefully be making sense of what you guys are saying. (servicing a single cylinder Atv's valves sure is a lot easier than this)

I really struggled with this until I got the R6. I used put 100% of my weight on my inside leg and would get wore out physically very fast. With the R6 its just natural to have the outside knee engaged with the tank to share some of the load. 

Yes you need to hook your outside leg however, your rear end feel comes from the foot pegs, not your butt or outside knee. You need to have enough pressure to be engaged with the bike and feel whats going on and make throttle adjustments if necessary. You also want as little weight as possible on your arms, you will make your arm stiff which will lock up the steering head and the bike wont feel like its turning. Also taking weight off of your hands will provide front end feedback and help the bike turn better. 

3 hours ago, Jester_ said:

I really struggled with this until I got the R6. I used put 100% of my weight on my inside leg and would get wore out physically very fast. With the R6 its just natural to have the outside knee engaged with the tank to share some of the load. 

Yes you need to hook your outside leg however, your rear end feel comes from the foot pegs, not your butt or outside knee. You need to have enough pressure to be engaged with the bike and feel whats going on and make throttle adjustments if necessary. You also want as little weight as possible on your arms, you will make your arm stiff which will lock up the steering head and the bike wont feel like its turning. Also taking weight off of your hands will provide front end feedback and help the bike turn better. 

i have a lot of trouble with taking the weight off my hands. something i try to work on when i'm riding but i find it hard to concentrate on that while i'm also using up a lot of system resources to control the bike and interpret road feel and make control adjustments.

maybe i should just get a cruiser

Prior to a ride where Danimal was following me I was riding cross threaded. He informed me at a stop on the ride of what I was doing. He politely gave me some pointers on how to go about fixing this. That is what got me to start reading about positioning and I thought I was starting to figure it out. Then after my reread of Twist of the Wrist I discovered this concept. So I guess it's back to the drawing board. I can tell you when I rode cross threaded I definitely had a lot of weight on the bars and my arms would get tired. Pretty sure I have gotten away from cross threading and I feel I'm light on the bars. I know what you mean about using up your resources. That's why I only thought about this outside peg on my last decent set of twisties on my ride Sunday. 

i gotta blow the winter cobwebs out of my brain before i do anything. i've been on 2 decent hour-long rides so far this spring, both on roads I know pretty well, moderate sweepers with a few good sharp turns and one 270* high banked turn i call the corkscrew. hoping to put a lot more miles in this year than i did last year too. maybe even appear at a group ride. 

i assume that by cross threaded you mean the bike leans left and you lean right at the hips to keep your body somewhat upright? i rode like that for years and had no idea i was doing it wrong. 

25 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

i assume that by cross threaded you mean the bike leans left and you lean right at the hips to keep your body somewhat upright? i rode like that for years and had no idea i was doing it wrong. 

Exactly. I think Code calls it pushing the bike under. I fought breaking that habit most of last year. Before I rode this year I set the bike on stands and practiced hanging/leaning off. Sunday was the first ride this year where I felt the roads were clean and I could really focus on what I was doing. 

31 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

I've heard of crossed-up... It doesn't leave you needing tapped to a larger size.

See how screwed up I was. I didn't even know what it was called. I'm a math teacher. Concepts are more important to me than words. 

1 hour ago, durk said:

See how screwed up I was. I didn't even know what it was called. I'm a math teacher. Concepts are more important to me than words. 

Do you do private tutoring? Jk, I have a calculator and the Internet.

• Upvote 1