Your Say - Best 5 All Weather Riding Gear

Fin

I'm looking to get riding pants with CE armor which I can easily wear over pants.  
I'm planning on wearing it for my next long ride, 1,500 miles.  
I'm going to buy the matching jacket while I'm at it.
But, I need your help because I have no idea which is best.
This will be my first "official" riding gear.

It has to be water proof, of quality, breathable, comfortable and most affordable.

So, of the list below... which 5 would you pick?  
If you want to leave a reason, brand name, even a jacket suggestion too that would be helpful.

01 Aether
02 AGV Sport
03 Alpinestars
04 Cortech
05 Dainese
06 Firstgear
07 Fly Street
08 Held
09 Klim
10 Moose Racing
11 Olympia
12 REV'IT!
13 Rukka
14 Scorpion
15 Spidi

20101029_IMG_4141.jpg

Edited by Fin

Each of those manufacturers has multiple pieces that are waterproof and breathable. Gear is highly subjective to fit,  quality,  and comfort.  You should try them on to know what will work best for you. 

Anything but Aerostitch, Klim, and Firstgear sucks and should never be worn. 

2 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

Each of those manufacturers has multiple pieces that are waterproof and breathable. Gear is highly subjective to fit,  quality,  and comfort.  You should try them on to know what will work best for you. 

Anything but Aerostitch, Klim, and Firstgear sucks and should never be worn. 

I got a Firstgear jacket... practically a hand-me-down and it sucks.  
Klim is very expensive... overrated from what I hear by some.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fin said:

I got a Firstgear jacket... practically a hand-me-down and it sucks.  
Klim is very expensive... overrated from what I hear by some.

It was a smart ass comment.  If they suck, then why did you list them?  

I have a lot of gear from a number of manufacturers,  including some Firstgear and Klim items.  They are waterproof, breathable, and very comfortable.  Price was less of an issue for me.  I bought them based on reviews by long distance riders.  Motorcycle gear is truly very subjective.  Good luck in your search! 

I've got a Rev'it jacket, Tourmaster pants, Klim base layers, and held gloves. I am not brand loyal (Except Helmets. Shoei for Life :D) Pretty much any big name brand has something in the category you're looking for. @RidersDiscount can hook you up with some awesome deals btw. Might wanna give them a call or IM.

18 minutes ago, Connie14 said:

It was a smart ass comment.  If they suck, then why did you list them?  

I have a lot of gear from a number of manufacturers,  including some Firstgear and Klim items.  They are waterproof, breathable, and very comfortable.  Price was less of an issue for me.  I bought them based on reviews by long distance riders.  Motorcycle gear is truly very subjective.  Good luck in your search! 

I think I made it pretty obvious that I don't know my gear, but if it's a smart ass comment you offer and wise response you expect from a self admitted ignoramus on the subject then I think your expectations are much too high.  The list is from from Revzilla.  If you can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

16 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I've got a Rev'it jacket, Tourmaster pants, Klim base layers, and held gloves. I am not brand loyal (Except Helmets. Shoei for Life :D) Pretty much any big name brand has something in the category you're looking for. @RidersDiscount can hook you up with some awesome deals btw. Might wanna give them a call or IM.

Thanks man... I appreciate it.  I've heard good things from Rev'It and it's a deal I need.  I'll check out RidersDiscount and bare in mind to get what I need and not one brand will necessarily be the right choice.  I never heard of RidersDiscount so agian, thanks for the info.

BTW - Bilt has a bunch of good deals on Bilt stuff.  In your opinion, is Bilt any good?

Since your OP states that you are looking for "water proof over pants"  I would suggest "Moose" They have the larger sizes you need. Gortex waterproof will limit your choice and cost more. I just completed a Adventure Ride in November with someone on a new Honda AT and he had a 2 piece Firstgear riding suite that was sized for over the pants. great gear with a nice price. Good luck.

B.

• Upvote 1

My olympia mesh liner and pocket seams opened up @ twice the price of sliders that also opened up. some brands will have different levels of options

All those requirements without listing abrasion resistance?

breathable, comfortable, waterproof & over normal pants...  That is a LOT of layers

The only all-weather riding suit I have now is the Adventure Style, REV’IT Poseidon Gore-Tex jacket and pants. They have a waterproof Norwegian Whale Foreskin outer layer that will keep you dry but it smells funny. If you are over 50 and have a large belly go a size larger on jacket.  I blame it on a fatty Liver. I have a hot weather REVIT Cayenne Adventure Jacket and Pants from 2010 that has held up very well on and off road but you will need a rain suit. For the hot weather street bike ride I wear the REV’IT GT-R Air Textile Jacket and Pants. I think REVIT is a company over in Holland where they have great Coffee shops and Hookers. So it must be good.

• Upvote 1

I've had great luck with tourmaster. Just bought a advanced jacket and over pant from ridersdiscount for $265 total for both (you have to message him on here for prices like that) both are water proof breathable and have vents for warm westher riding and their sizes are generous for big guys with tall sizes available.

20170402_102328.jpg.e9e4a3ebf5fed339de8d8a2ae2180c8d.jpgFB_IMG_1491142905074.thumb.jpg.33da0c6c173b5be551bdc8c827bdbf4e.jpg

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

For all weather I an very happy with my Olympia gear. But I wear Scorpion most of the time and layer since I have storage out the ass. But as Mike mentioned all of those are good. Its what fits you and makes you smile.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, B-Mac said:

Since your OP states that you are looking for "water proof over pants"  I would suggest "Moose" They have the larger sizes you need. Gortex waterproof will limit your choice and cost more. I just completed a Adventure Ride in November with someone on a new Honda AT and he had a 2 piece Firstgear riding suite that was sized for over the pants. great gear with a nice price. Good luck.

B.

Thanks!  I never hear of Moose.  I'll have to check it out.
I was caught at 4AM outside of Buffalo in a thunderstorm.
I had an old rubber rain suit which blocked wind and rain, but no ventilation.   
It held up, even at 80mph.
It did the trick in a pinch but it's time to get some serious gear.

12 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

The only real experience I have with Bilt is the gloves. They turned my FIL's hands blue because the dye bled like a wet towel. I also put them in the "shit" category because he bought them and he's notoriously cheap and usually paying the price later for his "thriftiness". Others may have real world experience of their own, but I think they're basically the Harbor Freight of motorcycle gear. It will work in a pinch, but don't expect it to perform like a $1500 Roadcrafter suit.   

Good gear costs money. @RidersDiscount is our amazing sponsor that helps offset those costs with excellent deals on gear. I'm sure Mike would be happy to show you what they have to offer. 

I'm glad you mentioned dye bleeding.  That's exactly what I want to stay away from.  "Harbor Freight of motorcycle gear," LOL.   You convinced me...  thanks.

11 hours ago, motocat12 said:

My olympia mesh liner and pocket seams opened up @ twice the price of sliders that also opened up. some brands will have different levels of options

All those requirements without listing abrasion resistance?

breathable, comfortable, waterproof & over normal pants...  That is a LOT of layers

TY... yeah, lots of layers ...  abrasion resistance is also important.  

10 hours ago, B-Mac said:

The only all-weather riding suit I have now is the Adventure Style, REV’IT Poseidon Gore-Tex jacket and pants. They have a waterproof Norwegian Whale Foreskin outer layer that will keep you dry but it smells funny. If you are over 50 and have a large belly go a size larger on jacket.  I blame it on a fatty Liver. I have a hot weather REVIT Cayenne Adventure Jacket and Pants from 2010 that has held up very well on and off road but you will need a rain suit. For the hot weather street bike ride I wear the REV’IT GT-R Air Textile Jacket and Pants. I think REVIT is a company over in Holland where they have great Coffee shops and Hookers. So it must be good.

LOL... thanks for the advice.  I was looking at REV'IT gear.  They have an excellent website and excellent line.  I'll look into your suggestions.

And yeah, I should have included hookers and coffee in my gear criteria. =)
"And for every matching pair of pants you buy with a jacket, we'll throw in a free hooker and a pair of gloves."
I think every bike should come with a hooker for a seat warmer while I'm having a beer or coffee.

10 hours ago, 2talltim said:

I've had great luck with tourmaster. Just bought a advanced jacket and over pant from ridersdiscount for $265 total for both (you have to message him on here for prices like that) both are water proof breathable and have vents for warm westher riding and their sizes are generous for big guys with tall sizes available.

$265, for both!?  Your sh***ing me.  That I can do.  
I was cringing at $500 just for the jacket and Klim $1200 for just the jacket was nutz for my money.

9 hours ago, Fin said:

$265, for both!?  Your sh***ing me.  That I can do.  
I was cringing at $500 just for the jacket and Klim $1200 for just the jacket was nutz for my money.

Yup RD has some kick ass unadvertised prices, like I said you have to message mike for a quote. Tourmaster is middle of the road quality in my opinion but you get a lot of bang for your buck. I had a TM Saber jacket I bought on clearance for $100 for 2 years till I lost too much weight and it was too big but it was a great jacket sold it for $60. I bought the Advance jacket because it was a shorter cut than the Saber with the same options but I have noticed it is alittle warmer than the Saber. I recommend making a trip to Iron Pony to try a bunch of different stuff on to see what you like and need then give Mike at RD a call for a better price.

• Upvote 1

If you want to stay dry in all day rain Klim is the way to go. I rode home from Gettysburg in the rain 2 summers ago and it was raining so hard outside of Pittsburgh cars were pulling off the road. I stayed dry other then my hands, neck and feet. I have owned 4 other sets of water proof gear including First Gears top of the line jacket and pants  and have always got wet in the elbow, chest and balls. The Klim seems way over priced for a jacket with no liner and it takes a while to break in but being dry is worth it. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, alansz400 said:

If you want to stay dry in all day rain Klim is the way to go. I rode home from Gettysburg in the rain 2 summers ago and it was raining so hard outside of Pittsburgh cars were pulling off the road. I stayed dry other then my hands, neck and feet. I have owned 4 other sets of water proof gear including First Gears top of the line jacket and pants  and have always got wet in the elbow, chest and balls. The Klim seems way over priced for a jacket with no liner and it takes a while to break in but being dry is worth it. 

I have a similar story about my Tourmaster. Hours of rain passing cars with flashers on and only thing that was wet was my neck and chest only because I didn't have my collar closed up all the way. I think stay dry mostly depends on how something fits you. Even the most expensive goretex stuff will fail you if the fit isn't right.

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

I want to thank everyone for their outstanding contributions to this forum.
I definitely have a lot to consider...  now comes simply buying CE Armor, Velcro and Draggin liners.