Wiring Harness

BuckeyeNewb

So I have been looking at buying a new wiring harness for my 98 GXSR, found a few new and used online. New is about double the price but was wondering if it was worth it to go new..... I figured it would be due to not having to worry about wires having a short in them but figured I'd ask a few of the wrenchers of the site. All help and advice is appreciated. 

depends. if the used one is in working order and came off a bike that was completely stock, ie, wiring not altered in any way and the price difference is substantial  (double tells us nothing. could be $10 vs $20 or it could be $150 vs $300) then it would be worth the savings to spend an hour going over all the box connections looking for scorched plastic/corroded contacts. If the cost difference is not that substantial, get new AS LONG AS it's an actual OEM part. buying a brand new china knock off harness will probably net you a result worse than a 20 year old one. 

New.  No question for me.  We pull 5-10 year old harnesses out of trucks everyday at work ( half as old as your bike ), and it's a frequent issue to have cracked/broken connectors and hardened/brittle wiring.  Heat, UV, and general use take quite a toll on the components of a harness, as well as the vinyl wire sheathing.   To me, even if it's a $100 more than used.....worth it to not have to tear down and rediagnose another problem once it's installed.

So the new is OEM for $300-330 I found used ONLINE for 90-150. Checked out rice paddy here in Columbus however think I will pass on them all have been left outside in the weather and brittle. Also the used online I found are from EBAY and have very little details on the bikes they came off of. 

Edited by BuckeyeNewb

1 hour ago, BuckeyeNewb said:

So the new is OEM for $300-330 I found used ONLINE for 90-150. Checked out rice paddy here in Columbus however think I will pass on them all have been left outside in the weather and brittle. Also the used online I found are from EBAY and have very little details on the bikes they came off of. 

Email the seller on eBay. Ask them the questions you have. I recently purchased a used wire harness on eBay for my cbr to be able to swap out plastic easily. Granted the harness I purchased was for a 2006 not 20 years old. When I was looking for 1 there were some that looked like somebody hacked them up with a butcher knife, I just avoided those. I found 1 that I looked over thoroughly in the pics and got it for $40. Most were going for over $100 and I think new was $250-300. If you can find 1 that looks good and the seller can tell you it came from a running bike I'd say go for it. I get what others are saying, but I'd take the chance especially if you get it from a seller that will accept returns. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys for the help I found a good looking harness off Ebay, came from a salvage shop and they said it came off a stock bike that was wrecked and used as a parts bike. Now I just need to find a mechanic to help me put it on or to put it on for me. Any suggestions in central Ohio other than Bikes 2 Envy and Iron Pony?

Edited by BuckeyeNewb