Quick Opinions Needed

hiro

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

I wouldn't own a Shinko for any kind of riding above cruiser pace on pavement. Maybe for a dual sport or something of that nature. I've seen enough of their street tires to know their junk. Just to save 50 or 60 bucks? No thanks, I'll take a Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, or Michelin. I have also seen enough delaminating Metzlers to stay away.

Always been happy with Metzelers.  Ran thru many Tourance on my GS, and ST tires on the FJR/VFR.  Conversely, I hate Bridgestones.  YMMV!

4 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I mean...the only tire I can think of that sucks more than Shinko is Metzler. So I can see his point. 

Really? I was planning to get Metzeler M7 RR tires again. Same model I put the Ninja 300. The 300 had stock bias-ply IRC Road Winners. The front tracked road groves and the rear was flattened a little and felt weird to me, so the M7's feel great in comparison. The Ninja 650 has stock Dunlop Roadsmart II tires, which seem to have good reviews and cost more than the M7's new.  http://www.metzeler.com/site/us/products/tyres-catalogue/Sportec-M7RR.html

Maybe I should have gotten an older or naked bike. Having these pretty, just about perfect fairings might mean never needing to worry about the tires in corners! And I guess I should be shopping for sport-touring tires more so. heh

If I went by this Michelin chart...  The tires were born late Nov 2011, then put on a 2012 bike. The bike didn't sell until 2014. So, is the date first used 2012 or 2014?

Since 2014 it's been in a garage, parked on a some padding, and on the road for only 1700 miles. The seller mentioned using a conditioner on the sidewalls. Not sure if that's good or not. (Unrelated, but I know the chain feels too tight. Waiting on some spools so I can lift and fix.) I doubt that the bike was on stands with the air pressured reduced, which I've heard can help slow internal oxidation.

7 minutes ago, hiro said:

If I went by this Michelin chart...  The tires were born late Nov 2011, then put on a 2012 bike. The bike didn't sell until 2014. So, is the date first used 2012 or 2014?

Since 2014 it's been in a garage, parked on a some padding, and on the road for only 1700 miles. The seller mentioned using a conditioner on the sidewalls. Not sure if that's good or not. (Unrelated, but I know the chain feels too tight. Waiting on some spools so I can lift and fix.) I doubt that the bike was on stands with the air pressured reduced, which I've heard can help slow internal oxidation.

Tires are like people.  As soon as either is born they start to die. Those tires are 5.5 years old. I don't care when they went on the bike, if they ever went on a bike or how many miles they got on them.

No offense, but stop researching and debating. Throw them away.

9 minutes ago, Tonik said:

No offense, but stop researching and debating. Throw them away.

That's what I need to hear, I guess.

When I was shopping for my first bike, I wanted something that didn't need new tires. Now I just put new tires on the short list. I was about to check out a 2009 with original tires. (Sold before I got to it.) Even I wouldn't bother analyzing changing those!

Edited by hiro

I would start the clock on those at the purchase date, assuming the bike wasn't test-rode several times while it was on the showroom floor. yes, tires start to gas out as soon as they leave the mold, but if they were stored properly from 2011 to 2012, that will be minimal. from  2012 to 2014 they were presumably inside a temperature controlled showroom where they were likely not bombarded with UV rays from the sun, and unless it was rode a lot during its stay on the showroom floor, they probably weren't heat cycled which also hardens up rubber compounds. 

but if you like to err on the side of caution, swap em out. 

1 hour ago, hiro said:

9 minutes ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

they were presumably inside a temperature controlled showroom where they were likely not bombarded with UV rays from the sun, and unless it was rode a lot during its stay on the showroom floor, they probably weren't heat cycled which also hardens up rubber compounds.

Title showed 1 mile at purchase. Some places don't allow test rides on sporty bikes, but some do roll bikes outside for display.

Wow. 2005 YZF600R, 3300 miles. "This bike is still on its original tires. The bike has always been kept in a garage and moved periodically. No evidence of dry rot, and there's still plenty of tread." Who wants to test ride it?

26 minutes ago, hiro said:

Wow. 2005 YZF600R, 3300 miles. "This bike is still on its original tires. The bike has always been kept in a garage and moved periodically. No evidence of dry rot, and there's still plenty of tread." Who wants to test ride it?

Another great comfortable bike.  Forget tires and just know you change them when you buy.

So, I was pressing my thumb nail against my tires. I could definitely feel that my newer M7's were softer on the surface than the older Roadsmart II's. Of course, I don't have newer Roadsmart II's for comparison.

I don't usually feel for heat in my tires, but after riding a while yesterday I could feel heat on the tops of the tires. Side were relatively cool. Does that mean they would still have relatively less grip while leaned? Or do I have to lean more to warm up the sides? I was using the book pressures of 32 front and 36 rear. (I'm thinking about reducing that a pound or two.)

1 hour ago, hiro said:

So, I was pressing my thumb nail against my tires. I could definitely feel that my newer M7's were softer on the surface than the older Roadsmart II's. Of course, I don't have newer Roadsmart II's for comparison.

I don't usually feel for heat in my tires, but after riding a while yesterday I could feel heat on the tops of the tires. Side were relatively cool. Does that mean they would still have relatively less grip while leaned? Or do I have to lean more to warm up the sides? I was using the book pressures of 32 front and 36 rear. (I'm thinking about reducing that a pound or two.)

You are overthinking it!  Just run good tires at street pressures and enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

Swinging side to side is not a way to heat up tires just fyi. Best way to do it is hard acceleration and braking. But none of that is required for street riding. I just made sure my pressures were good and off I went. My Q3's were great right out of my garage.