Quick Opinions Needed

hiro

Evaluating a bike for purchase. One thing I noticed was a high pitch metallic "tinking" at idle. Anything to be concerned about? (I've been reading about cam chain tensioners.) Sounds similar to this: https://soundcloud.com/heath-taylor-4/2007-ninja-650r-odd-metallic

Also, should I get new tires immediately even if they have very low miles on them if they are 5-6 years old?

3 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

Don't know about noise issues, but google "tire date codes".  Look on your sidewalls and see when they were made.  More than two years old, replace them.  Any cracks in the sidewalls, replace them.

Two years? They're definitely older than that! The side walls look good. Tread is good. Rear is a little flattened in the middle at 1700 miles. Always kept in garage, so maybe that helps. I've felt the loss of traction of my car tires when they had a few years on them. Don't want that to be my only front tires losing grip!

8 minutes ago, Wandering Soul said:

Tread life is squat, read up on tires dry rotting.  What; $350 for new rubber?  What's your hide worth?

True! I know the recommendation is to replace tires when they're approaching 6 years old, at least for cars. I replaced tires on my Ninja 300 much sooner because I didn't like the feel. I priced out a set for $227. The rear is only a 160-60-17.

Kawasaki air injection uses reed valves and they tick at idle, its pretty common.  The sound should go away as soon as you rev the bike. Cam chain rattle usually only makes a sound when coming off a rev when the chain unloads briefly. 

• Upvote 1

I would defiantly replace tires with that much age on them. There's nothing like the feel of fresh tires anyhow. In my experience with Kawasaki inline motors a little noise at idle isn't a bad thing. When they get quite its most likely in desperate need of valve adjustment. Reed valves do have a tick at idle and if it bothers you can easily be blocked off. As mentioned by Whaler cam chain noise should come in to play after spooling it up and cutting the throttle. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, whaler said:

Kawasaki air injection uses reed valves and they tick at idle, its pretty common.  The sound should go away as soon as you rev the bike. Cam chain rattle usually only makes a sound when coming off a rev when the chain unloads briefly. 

This is the correct diagnosis.

This is interesting, but the road is not a track, of course.

Test results: old tyres versus new tyres

The tyre manufacturer METZELER has tested a set of motorcycle tyres aged five years and a brand new set of motorcycle tyres in racing conditions and has then compared the results. The five-year-old tyres had been stored properly. The old and the new sets of tyres were driven over a distance of 200 km and tested for 5 laps with the same motorcycle on the test run Vizola. The differences between the lap times between the old and new tyres were so minimal that there was no clear winner and that the quality difference could practically not be determined.
[Source: METZELER technology seminar 2004]

The "tink" sound sounds like something is cracked or loose, not a valve clearance issue.  
At different vibration frequencies you'll notice different sounds.

As for tires,  personally, I never risk it.
Tire pressure, tread, and fluids, three things I never take for granted.
I've heard of too many people taking a high end or low end on a corner because they didn't check pressure and tread.

And with Spring rain on built up oil and gravel from the Winter is a bitch on bad tires.

I wouldn't own a Shinko for any kind of riding above cruiser pace on pavement. Maybe for a dual sport or something of that nature. I've seen enough of their street tires to know their junk. Just to save 50 or 60 bucks? No thanks, I'll take a Bridgestone, Dunlop, Pirelli, or Michelin. I have also seen enough delaminating Metzlers to stay away.

Edited by JustinNck1