Dead motorcycle thief.

Tonik

7 hours ago, CBBaron said:

From the news report the bike was stolen Feb 4. The kid did not have it for 3 months like his father says. Also a kid is trying to sell a bike he can't have owned for much more than a month in the winter. :nono:

Sorry I'm not buying the story. Sounds like the story always given when trying to sell stolen goods and you get caught.

Still I agree handled poorly. The story about the danger to others sounds like a story also. Not a happy ending for either party :(

This. ^  Yes, bad all around.

You're going to meet with a thief.  It's fucking craigslist for God's sake.  Yeah, I'd gone armed.  I wouldn't take family members with me, I'd call on two riders who I trust, are level headed, and can handle themselves when shit goes south.

I've helped recover several bikes through the years.  Just like in the military, recon was done, we chose the time and place as much as we could.  Worst that happened was a punk got his ass stomped.  We tried once getting the cops (local) involved, but we were patted on the head and told "We'll look into it".  Never heard shit about it.  And who knows?  This could have been the incident where Mr. Small Time would pull his 9 and step his game up.  Instead of "Wake up Baby", we'd be reading "My Baby's a good boy he didn't shoot nobody"...with three people shot dead.  The guy may have not had sufficient cause to shoot the thief, but I wasn't there.  I'm sorry for all.  But everyone chooses how to live their life.  And we all have to take responsibility for our actions, words and thoughts.

• Upvote 1

Him going to the place armed doesn't mean he was looking to kill someone. It's a possibility but it's more likely that he wanted to have it if he needed it for protection. I carry a gun almost everyday almost everywhere I go. Not because I want to kill someone but because I would prefer to prevent someone from killing me. 

With that being said I don't buy that the guy bought it from a friend and didn't know it was stolen. If that was the case why not wait for the police and straighten everything out? If I buy a bike without a title I do everything I can to check if it's stolen. I get all the information I can from the seller to identify them later if it doesn't have a title just incase it turns out to be stolen. I record make model and license plate of the vehicle they show up in or that are parked at the house if I meet them at home. That way I can forward the information to police if it comes back stolen after I buy it. That way my defense isn't I bought it from some guy off of the Internet. 

I'm not exactly buying the guy who shot thought his daughter was in danger of severe injury or death either. Especially if it was a youth size bike. But just because he had a gun doesn't automatically make him guilty. 

I think everyone who made bad decisions is going to or is paying for their choices. Trying to sell a stolen bike is a huge risk. Fighting when busted instead of just turning it over its a bigger risk. Shooting someone to protect someone is risky. If the guy who shot is found to be lying he's screwed as he should be. The police will be able to tell from the evidence. 

• Upvote 2

The entire situation is a tragic comedy of errors.  
Just change the name and date and repeat next month:
> The thief ran and got shot - now dead.  
> The father wants to be his girl's super daddy.
> The girl is making bad choices but plays herself as sweet and wholesome 16.
>  Cops come to clean up the mess and everyone blames the men and women in blue for racism and mistakes.

Here's my take away, most bikes today with exception to the expensive bikes (BMW, top of the line Harley, other???) don't have a key-less security fob.
The key-less security fob electronically locks the front forks and denies a thief an easy method for theft.

With that said, what's the preferred way to secure your ride to prevent theft?

Edited by Fin
misspelling

11 minutes ago, Fin said:

Here's my take away, most bikes today with exception to the expensive bikes (BMW, top of the line Harley, other???) don't have a key-less security fob.
The key-less security fob electronically locks the front forks and denies a thief an easy method for theft.

With that said, what's the preferred way to secure your ride to prevent theft?

Why do you think electronic locks are better than manual steering column locks?

Dirt bikes are particularly vulnerable. Most dirt bikes have no key, no steering lock, can be picked by 2 strong men and many are not titled. 

As for security 

999492_608.jpg.thumb.400.400.png

A strong chain attached to an immobile object.

Perks of living in the middle of nowhere. People are less likely to steal a giant bright red motorcycle, and if a thief could make it through my garage with the lights off at night time, without breaking their neck, more power to them. :lol:

Edited by JustinNck1

On 3/24/2017 at 8:23 AM, CrazySkullCrusher said:

who blamed the cops? did you read the same article i did?

There's always someone blaming the cops... try Crackron... I'm certain there's a few there.

I have insurance, so I will never shoot  anyone over a motorcycle.  I have a CCW, so I usually have it on my person when buying things on Craigslist.  Dumb people do dumb things,  and people tend to get what they deserve.

• Upvote 3