Dead motorcycle thief.

Tonik

It sounded like they tried to take the bike back violence free but the guy tried to steal it again. No sympathy from me. At some point there's no deterrent for the thief not to try his chances every time until a case like this happens.

How many bikes did get away with stealing/selling without getting shot before this one? But it sounds like we was stupid and pretty easy to catch.

They never should have been there in the first place.  They knowingly went into a bad situation armed, he has no defense for shooting the guy.  When he found the bike, on Craigslist I would assume, he should have called the cops.

^Fashbook  How do you know it's your bike before seeing it? Asking for a VIN will spook them

Cops were on the phone when perp tried to run. Bike was stolen in Feb,

Johnson's father, Shawn Johnson, told FOX 8 News his son had the bike for only about three months after buying it from a friend and had no idea it was stolen.

"He told them he didn't steal it and he bought it, and he wasn't just going to give it to them. They could give him some money, they could have it back. And he tried to leave and they shot him," Shawn Johnson said.

A caller was on the phone with 911 when the shots were fired. The caller was attempting to get officers to the scene to help them convince Johnson to give back the stolen bike.

Noises, like a motor revving, can be heard on the call.

http://fox8.com/2017/03/21/man-charged-in-deadly-akron-shooting-over-stolen-dirt-bike/

Ya know... I bet if thet would have asked an officer to assist before they ever meet up, they would have been turned down. Asking for a VIN over the phone would spook them, as stated above. 

Can get a cop to come with you...

If you blow this opportunity to catch them now, and they get away then what?....

If it were me I would have took a good look at the bike, disabled it somehow, so it wouldn't start, pull a plug wire, kill wire something, then sent someone away, to set in the car and call police to get them there as fast as possible. 

Trick is to make sure the bike cannot be easily started, and to get police there unknownly 

So a quick criminal search on the dead guy...Receiving stolen property, fleeing after conviction, attempted criminal offense...3 or 4 convictions.  He may have known what he bought.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Jesus, the dude that got shot didn't steal it...and he thought he was getting robbed.  Sorry, but shooter needs to spend a good deal of time in the slammer.  Thanks for the full story @motocat12

From the news report the bike was stolen Feb 4. The kid did not have it for 3 months like his father says. Also a kid is trying to sell a bike he can't have owned for much more than a month in the winter. :nono:

Sorry I'm not buying the story. Sounds like the story always given when trying to sell stolen goods and you get caught.

Still I agree handled poorly. The story about the danger to others sounds like a story also. Not a happy ending for either party :(

• Upvote 1

Everyone is focused on the guy being shot "over a dirt bike". What if there is truth in the guy on the bike trying to hit the shooters daughter as the article mentioned?

39 minutes ago, cOoTeR said:

Everyone is focused on the guy being shot "over a dirt bike". What if there is truth in the guy on the bike trying to hit the shooters daughter as the article mentioned?

I'd wager that there wasn't enough closing distance between them for him to gather much speed, and if there was, it would give her ample time to move behind a tree/vehicle/building/telephone pole etc. 

But I don't know all the facts of the situation, so I can't be sure, but I'd say it's a damn good bet.

I dont think anything that went down at the scene matters much. He got into his car armed and intentionally drove to a dangerous situation. I believe he lost any claim to self or loved one defense before he even got there.

IANAL

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1