Mohican 4/22/17 (OMBC & Spokejunkies)

redkow97

I had planned to race round 1 of the OMBC series on 3/18, but that was rained out.  4/22 is the rain date, and the spoke junkies already have their fund-raiser set for that date.

The novice course for OMBC is 8 miles.  The Sport and Expert route is the full 24 mile loop, as is the Spokejunkies ride.

I'm debating which is the better use of my time at this point - an 8 mile race, or a 24 mile social ride (which will still have people who are probably faster than me...)  Thoughts?

Do both :trollface:

The full Mohican loop (I thought it was 26 miles) is a really fun ride. There will be plenty of riders of all skill levels there. However the OMBC race will give you a time and an actual comparison to other racers. 

I'm pretty sure the Spoke Junkies ride starts basically as soon as the dust settles from the OMBC race start.  

I may just do the spoke junkies ride, but try to push my pace and do the entire trail in around 3 hours.   Guys are saying they can do it in 2:20 in a race, and they're not the quickest, so 3 hours (8mph average) is a decent target.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Lyns just informed me that race registration is closed. (rain date.. I'm an idiot) So, we'll be doing the social ride and just out for some tree pinball. 

They never opened online registration last time. 

I plan to push my pace on the social ride and see how it goes. I hear there's a lot of climbing. I'll run Strava. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Lyns is doing the 8-mile race. I may sign up and do that, too. I'd like to do this AND the metric on sunday. Not sure I can do 25 miles in the woods and the metric. 

Let me know what's going on so I know what to bitch about.

• Upvote 1

New plan:  8-mile novice race, and then if I feel a little bit nuts, I'll do the full loop afterward, and just take it nice and slow.  

I can always bail out at the 8 mile mark again if that turns out to be a bad call.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got there late. Missed the race start and wasn't on the trail until 1:30. Rode like my hair was on fire for the first 10 miles, then realized (was told) there was a huge climb after the covered bridge at the 12 mike mark. 

The climb was steep, but not the day-ender it was described as.  I rode that, did  the descent to the mile 14 water station, and then decided, "I'm getting tired enough that this will stop being fun and start being hazardous soon..." I knew where I was (there's a road and a parking lot at the water stop) and I knew my car was 3 paved miles away, mostly down hill.  I checked the time, and cutting the ride short was the smart move for my dinner plans, given my late start.

i did stop twice on my ride to chat with some spokejunkies people at the gnome tree, and I spent 10 mins helping a couple repair the woman's broken chain.  I needed the rest more than they needed the help.

my ride is on strava, if anyone cares to see it. "Some Mohican"  18.x miles total, 14 of that is singletrack.  With better pacing, I feel like the full loop would have been very attainable, but I get bored riding slowly...  

• Upvote 1