Transport a handgun while drinking.

Tonik

Just now, 2talltim said:

Would the same rules apply as if you were not a CHL holder? Ammo and firearm separated in a locked compartment inaccessible to the occupants?

That is my guess. But I hate guessing about felonies.

And that raises another question, how do you make them inaccessible in an SUV which I will probably be buying Saturday.

I asked this question years ago when getting my permit. Answer I got was the same thing you would do if you didn't have a permit. Unload it (empty mag if it's a semi) and lock it up out of reach separate from the ammo. The instructor also recommend pulling the slide if a semi. Same deal if traveling through a state that does not recognize our permits. Obviously if it's on your hip pass on the beer. Also very helpful if your wife has permit as well. 

7 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

From what I was told in my class, the firearm and ammunition should be unloaded and not within access. I separated mine, mag in unloaded in center console, firearm in a container (case) in the trunk.

I think there is a typo in your response and you get it...... But just to be sure, in Ohio if the mag is still loaded the gun is loaded. Don't matter where the two are.

7 minutes ago, Killer_kaw said:

I asked this question years ago when getting my permit. Answer I got was the same thing you would do if you didn't have a permit. Unload it (empty mag if it's a semi) and lock it up out of reach separate from the ammo. The instructor also recommend pulling the slide if a semi. Same deal if traveling through a state that does not recognize our permits. Obviously if it's on your hip pass on the beer. Also very helpful if your wife has permit as well. 

Thanks, I believe this is the correct answer.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

I think there is a typo in your response and you get it...... But just to be sure, in Ohio if the mag is still loaded the gun is loaded. Don't matter where the two are.

Yeah, the mag must be out of the gun and I also unload the mag. Typos...:nono:

Edited by JustinNck1

2 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm guessing this is a hypothetical situation huh Jim? Nothing to do with the monthly dinner? :dunno:

Nope, not at all.  Tomorrow is the first day I can start storing it in my car at work. So today I am unarmed.  But when I know I am going to an event where I am going to drink I don't carry period.  Just thinking ahead, like something comes up in the afternoon later this week and I am stopping for a beer.....

And no way in hell I would carry my gun with a trunk full of moonshine for you asshats.

Edited by Tonik

5 hours ago, Tonik said:

Nope, not at all.  Tomorrow is the first day I can start storing it in my car at work. So today I am unarmed.  But when I know I am going to an event where I am going to drink I don't carry period.  Just thinking ahead, like something comes up in the afternoon later this week and I am stopping for a beer.....

And no way in hell I would carry my gun with a trunk full of moonshine for you asshats.

I go into bars carrying.  I made an agreement with myself that when carrying (even before CCW permits) I wouldn't drink.  For using it under the influence would just give a DA another club to beat me with.  Condensed version, don't CCW and drink.

It's ok to haul booze carrying your pistol.  It's consuming it while carrying that gets you charged if caught.

'Shine?  You're screwed under federal law anyway 'cause you didn't pay their damned tax.

I lock my gun in my vehicle a lot. Occasionally I will forget to remove it before heading to the bar. 

I unload the magazine and store the rounds in my trunk, then put the empty firearm back into its locked container as normal. 

Same way everything is to be transported without a carry permit. 

• 4 weeks later...