Changes in oil, for example Rotella T6

Tonik

Oh boy. Oil discussion. I'm with whaler on his feelings on t6. My Wing hates it. Clunky shifts after a thousand miles or so. I gave it a couple chances/changes and gave up. The Super Hawk is about the same but also drinks a little. As far as moly in mc oil Honda actually has one. It is not recommended for higher horsepower engines. Diesel oil is going to suffer just as auto oil has. They have taken some of the good stuff out of auto oil so as not to foul catalytic converters. So goes it for diesel oil. The one box on a Detroit diesel cost about 8k without all the sensors and particulate filters. Maintaining the pollution controls is becoming a major expense. So the oil manufacturers not only have to deal with proper lubrication properties but also not fouling up the pollution control system. It has become a whole new ball game. We still run engines over a million miles with only being opened up for valve adjustments. But when they go it is usually the bottom end that fails. With that said. Will diesel oil continue to be okay for use in motorcycles?  Time will tell. The Achilles heel is the wet clutch and the transmission gears chopping the heck out of the strands the make up viscosity. If you truly want to know what is going on with your choice of oil. Get oil samples taken or go to Bobstheoilguy and go totally insane reading that stuff. Oil----None of is worth a shit if you don't change it. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

I'm back... with an official up-to-date list of which oils are JASO. March 2017 release.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

Don't forget that certifications are expensive, and not all oils do that. Some might simply says "meets the requirements". Which may or may not be true. And they won't be on this list.

Also: JASO MA1 is for 4 stroke engine, wet sump, wet clutch, combined transmission.

JASO MA2 is same, except better for catalytic convertors.

JASO MA is oil that meets part of MA1 and/or MA2, so gets just "MA" (or is dawn of time old).

And yes, Shell Rottela T6 is "crunchy/notchy" in the transmission quickly. It's not for me.

The short story... stick to the manufacturer's recommendation and their brand of oil. Second best, Repsol. Anything else, you're on your own; like me using Mobil 1 4T or Castrol stuff.

Interesting that BMW Advantec is not on this list.  Nor does it list Liqui-Moly 4t Racing 5W-40 which i just ordered.  My Teutonic Tank requires JASO MA2 5W-40 ONLY.  Not a lot of options!  :nono:

19 hours ago, whaler said:

I know many who love T6, tried it in several bikes and just never could get over how notchy the transmission become over the first thousand miles.

We are getting to a point where only motorcycle specific oils come without molly.

16 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

I'm with whaler on his feelings on t6. My Wing hates it. Clunky shifts after a thousand miles or so. I gave it a couple chances/changes and gave up. The Super Hawk is about the same but also drinks a little.

I've heard a few folks tell me this too but I've been running it for a few years now and obviously I can't say what the inside of my engine looks like but It's been great in my bike. As you all know I'm a heavy throttle and heavy engine brake rider and I go 6000 to 7000 miles on oil change intervals.(Kawi says 7500 in the manual). On oil changes, other than being dirty it never comes out looking like anything but, no shavings no sludge, ect. As far as shifting I've never noticed any difference when I switched from Mobile1 4T nor do I think I anything feels wrong. Even with 6000 miles on the oil it still feels like good clean shifts to me. My reasons for liking T6 is one because of price and two I can stop at just about any parts store or department store and grab a jug, I hate having to make a special trip somewhere to grab oil and get raped over it.

Obvious here every bike and rider is different. It' s a shame it dosnt work for everyone because specific "moto oil" is way too over priced. $65-$70 DIY oil changes in my bike are ridiculous, with T6 they are $30

4 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Interesting, not seen that one before. Thanks. Wish it had more motorcycle oils tested. But very interesting discussion on the use of zinc in oils.

On 3/13/2017 at 3:42 PM, Qman said:

Interesting that BMW Advantec is not on this list.  Nor does it list Liqui-Moly 4t Racing 5W-40 which i just ordered.  My Teutonic Tank requires JASO MA2 5W-40 ONLY.  Not a lot of options!  :nono:

Yeah. Have noticed Beemers like 5w40 JASO stuff. No, not a lot of choices on that. Lots of good to excellent oils aren't on that JASO list. Only the ones that paid to have the tests done.

16 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Yeah. Have noticed Beemers like 5w40 JASO stuff. No, not a lot of choices on that. Lots of good to excellent oils aren't on that JASO list. Only the ones that paid to have the tests done.

Well the BMW Advantec certainly is JASO MA2 rated.  My guess is that BMW just rebrands one of the other oils on that list and sells it as their own....with a Huge margin added of course!

On 3/13/2017 at 0:42 PM, whaler said:

I know many who love T6, tried it in several bikes and just never could get over how notchy the transmission become over the first thousand miles.

We are getting to a point where only motorcycle specific oils come without molly.

Never had an issue. I run T6 in every single thing I own. Mowers, Bikes, Generators, Cars, Trucks, Everything and have for years. Its rated for everything and beats buying 8 different oils to cover everything

13 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

Lol. I do use the shit out of it. All still is good though. Im sitting on 8 cases or so right now 

Not sure if you read the whole thread but yea its still good. Did some research and called Shell they said it's still motorcycle wet clutch approved

14 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

Never had an issue. I run T6 in every single thing I own. Mowers, Bikes, Generators, Cars, Trucks, Everything and have for years. Its rated for everything and beats buying 8 different oils to cover everything

Won't disagree that's it is good quality oil.  We run it in the dirt bikes and mower, just not my street bike.

9 hours ago, Qman said:

Not been my experience, but I Don't have a small diameter penis.

I was not a lucky one to be blessed with a big penis.......but I do run T6 in the Dl650 but run the high dollar Motorex 10-60 in the Guzzi