Kevlar Motorcycle Jeans

Wolfman1

I have been researching these for some time and contemplating trying a pair.  Anyone using these?  I am wondering if it's any different then my touring pants I currently use that have the armor protection.  The problem is I wear them over my jeans and it can get uncomfortable as the outside temp increases and the added layer can feel quite bulky.  The premise is to get a pair of these jeans to eliminate a layer, but still be able to handle a possible road rash incident.

I just did a breath test, Kevlar+denim seems to have about as much flow as two layers of denim. It sure doesn't  keep cold out too well. 

I've been down twice at slow speeds, armor probably did more than the kever except for getting to watch medics go at it with trauma shears.

Edited by motocat12

I rode all summer last year in a pair of Kevlar jeans I got from Iron Pony. I liked them, to me they were no different than jeans as far as comfort goes. I actually went to Deals gap and back with them. 

1 hour ago, motocat12 said:

I just did a breath test, Kevlar+denim seems to have about as much flow as two layers of denim. It sure doesn't  keep cold out too well. 

I've been down twice at slow speeds, armor probably did more than the kever except for getting to watch medics go at it with trauma shears.

Did they burn through or hold up when you went down?  When I went down I was wearing regular jeans and it was like I was wearing nothing at all, burned right through.

56 minutes ago, durk said:

I rode all summer last year in a pair of Kevlar jeans I got from Iron Pony. I liked them, to me they were no different than jeans as far as comfort goes. I actually went to Deals gap and back with them. 

I was planning on heading to the Pony to try some on for the same reason, hoping they will be more comfortable than wearing jeans plus my touring pants.  I understand there probably isn't much airflow through them, but I would rather be comfortable on the cooler days than cooler on the warmer days.

3 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Perforated leather will be better...

kevlar doesn't breathe. 

May have to try on a pair of leather pants as well.  With the leather, do you wear another layer underneath or can you wear them like jeans straight up?

2 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

I wear Bohn armor underneath...like spandex with armor built in. I like it because the armor stays out unlike over pants where they float around. 

This ^^^ Bohn also has them with a mesh material for hot weather riding also...Ill be trying those out this year ?

4 hours ago, ScubaCinci said:

I wear Bohn armor underneath...like spandex with armor built in. I like it because the armor stays out unlike over pants where they float around. 

Is there also slide protection so it could be worn under regular jeans?

I remember seeing adds in the back of magazines for Draggin Jeans. Prolly before the interwebzzzz. I see they have lots of gear now. No personal experience. Just tossing it on the table. http://www.dragginjeans.com/       

Edited by Al Z. Heimer

12 hours ago, Tonik said:

No, the Bohn armor will not stand up to much abrasion and are meant to be worn under gear that is. But, it's light, cool, and keeps the armor where it should be. I have the upper and lower body pieces. They aren't cheap but they are well made and are comfortable. I *think* when I ordered they gave me a coupon (sure, after I bought everything) so if a few people are interested, have one order one piece and then use the coupon for everything else and share the savings.

13 hours ago, Tonik said:

13 hours ago, Tonik said:

Check my post on Draggin Jeans. Kevlar undies. 

I have Draggin' jeans...have tried the under liner. Seems like it would be hot?

Competition Accessories is having a sale on the Slider pants. Never owned them so can't vouch for fit, quality, or durability.

http://www.compacc.com/sliders-pants

Edited by ScubaCinci

I've been wearing the sliders jeans for like 4 or 5 seasons. Wrecked 3 or 4 times. The Kevlar holds up great. The newest style sliders look identical to regular jeans, have built in hip pads and pockets for knee armor. They are not the greatest for very hot days, but I have a pair of mesh/textile pants for 80°+ days. 

As far as fit and finish they are usually a bit long, finish is nice, they are well built, double stitched seams etc. I'm on my 2nd pair, would still be wearing the first but the denim finally wore out.

1 hour ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I've been wearing the sliders jeans for like 4 or 5 seasons. Wrecked 3 or 4 times. The Kevlar holds up great. The newest style sliders look identical to regular jeans, have built in hip pads and pockets for knee armor. They are not the greatest for very hot days, but I have a pair of mesh/textile pants for 80°+ days. 

As far as fit and finish they are usually a bit long, finish is nice, they are well built, double stitched seams etc. I'm on my 2nd pair, would still be wearing the first but the denim finally wore out.

Thanks for the feedback on these, any recommendations on other brands that hold up beside Sliders?

6 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

I remember seeing adds in the back of magazines for Draggin Jeans. Prolly before the interwebzzzz. I see they have lots of gear now. No personal experience. Just tossing it on the table. http://www.dragginjeans.com/       

Nice, that is a much longer slide than I had and my jeans were pulverized as well as my skin.  I am probably going to go with something including the armor, either way it's better than regular jeans.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally decided after all the research that if I could get a pair of leather riding pants that feel as comfortable as jeans, that I would go that route.  Decided to go with Icon Hypersport Stealth riding pants.  Track spec leather in all the right places as well as adjustable armor in the knees.  I put them on and was surprised at how comfortable they are.  The only drawback is no pockets, but I rock a tank bag so not really an issue for me.  I am really excited to try them out this season.  Thank you Mike @RidersDiscount for the excellent price and very happy with my first purchase from Riders Discount, ordered on Tuesday and got them on Thursday.  I will definitely purchasing more from you guys in the future!

IMG_0131.JPG

• Upvote 1