Trails are frozen

motocat12

10 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Went out at 5 to hit the trails. Fucked. 

Saw a guy leaving with tons of mud on his bike. 

Rode the paved hill instead. Five times. Decent training, but not the fun I'd hoped for. 

I took the fat bike on some local oil well access roads and an abandoned rail road over the weekend. I was surprised to see how muddy both were despite several days of below freezing weather. I think the warm soil combined with sunny days kept any unshaded areas thawed.

If you are near the CVNP there are several abandoned hill side roads that make for a more interesting workout. They are mostly gravel and broken down pavement but better than pavement.

Pine Hill Road, Old Carriage Trail, Stafford Rd, and Akron-Peninsula, connect those with the Towpath and Summit Hike and Bike trail and it can make for a good gravel workout.  

There are some access roads under power lines that I may try exploring.  I wouldn't hop any fences, but I just don't foresee anyone noticing, let alone caring...  And if they did call the cops, the cruisers aren't making it very far onto that road in these conditions.