Hello from Ravenna... just south from the North Coast

Fin

I'm riding a BMW 1150 GSA.  My first bike was a 1978 Honda CX500 which I rode exclusively in my early 20's.  After 2.5 decades of hell on four wheels I finally got another bike in December of 2015.  Riding non-stop since, I decided to stretch my wings and rode to New Hampshire then up to Maine, then rode 1023 miles in 21 hours from Acadia back home.  The 4 AM thunderous and lightening filled torrential down pore only added to my "Bat out of Hell," Meatloaf lust for life and didn't stop me one bit.  The bike was a champ and I remained dry as a scorpion in the desert sun.  Only now have I heard of the Iron Butt!  But who needs patches?  "We don't need no stink'n patches!"  

Be that as it may... I'm planning on one more trip this summer, 1500 miles in 36 hours, before I have to get serious on my new career path.    I want to hit Savannah, Georgia and back.  If there are any serious riders out here who want to do the same trip or similar ... give me a heads up.  I hear there's a great oyster bar there named "Sorry Charlie's Oyster Bar" and a great pier called "Tybee Beach Pier and Pavilion."  

If anyone asks, why the trip... the obvious answer is, "I'm hungry for some oysters."   

Look me up if you want to go.

~Fin

Edited by Fin

Welcome. There are a few mileage junkies here. Day rides of 500 miles are not uncommon. Several of us did an Iron Butt to Mt. Rushmore. Some have an Ozarks trip planned to coincide with the yearly Gap get together. Check out the upcoming Epic Ride thread. Good chance to get your feet wet here. One thing you will see about most of us is that we slab as little as possible. We like crooked roads. 

image.jpg

• Upvote 2

Welcome.  Another GSA here (2015).  I do long days, but I try not to ride at night.  Between deer, other people, and my own poor night vision (thank you LASIK) I find the risk too high!  Next time you're in Maine, continue up to Newfoundland...thats an awesome trip!  Do you take that BMW off road at all?  Ride safe!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Al Z. Heimer, Nice rides.  I'll be sure to check out Epic Rides threads.  Trips through the Ozarks and to Rushmore sounds fantastic!  Maybe we'll meet on a ride some day.  

1 hour ago, Qman said:

Welcome.  Another GSA here (2015).  I do long days, but I try not to ride at night.  Between deer, other people, and my own poor night vision (thank you LASIK) I find the risk too high!  Next time you're in Maine, continue up to Newfoundland...thats an awesome trip!  Do you take that BMW off road at all?  Ride safe!

Thanks Qman...  funny you should mention Newfoundland.  I spoke to a couple while in Maine who are from there.  They handed me a Newfoundland visitors pack titled "The beginning of your Newfoundland and Labrador adventure."   From the photos and all the great coastal food I had to add it to my bucket list.  (Bucket getting bigger)!

Here's a photo from Bailey Island, Maine.  Images like this motivate me to ride.

2847.jpg

2859.jpg

2837.jpg

• Upvote 1

You'll want to do Newfoundland in early summer to catch the icebergs.  And dont miss Gros Morne park.  On my bucket list is the TLH.  Keep that bucket growing, it keeps ya living!!! :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...