Joe's new bike thread

ScubaCinci

I have sliders rather than crash bars...I hope to never have to make use of them. Gravel like that is scary.

And yeah, the motor on this thing is pretty insane. I can't imagine the RR.

Edited by ScubaCinci

Got nearly all the parts in now except foot pegs and Rizoma mirrors coming tomorrow. The remaining are coming from Europe (slip-on, levers, and rad guard) so who knows when they'll come in. Hard to tell but I added so carbon fiber bits to the bike. Looks great. I found a place in GA that is relativlely inexpensive. I did a mini-review here - http://s1000xroa.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.msg152#msg152

left.jpg

right.jpg

• Upvote 1

Also, whomever at BMW designed the body parts for this thing was a sadistic bastard. There are like 500 pieces that make up the plastic fairing/body and they are all part screwed in and part push/pull socket connections. It's hard to tell when to yank to pop them out and when there's a screw holding it in. I kept thinking I was going to break something. You need three hands in some spots to hold all the pieces in position and then screw it in.

I guess the good news is that if you damage something, it's a smaller piece and not the whole damn side of the bike but jeez. All the bolts are very similar too. Very close in size with different sized shoulders. I ended up having to follow the parts fiche to figure out whick size bolt when where (they are all M5 so they all at least partially fit). I kinda lost track after having to remove a lot more shit than I thought I would have to.

Oh and BMW uses Torx bolts on EVERYTHING. I had to get new t-handles and socket w/Torx heads just to work on the thing.

Edited by ScubaCinci

1 hour ago, ScubaCinci said:

Got nearly all the parts in now except foot pegs and Rizoma mirrors coming tomorrow. The remaining are coming from Europe (slip-on, levers, and rad guard) so who knows when they'll come in. Hard to tell but I added so carbon fiber bits to the bike. Looks great. I found a place in GA that is relativlely inexpensive. I did a mini-review here - http://s1000xroa.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.msg152#msg152

left.jpg

right.jpg

Very nice!....did you hit the lottery or inheritance?  :kewlpics:

Congrats man!  Nice choice.  That bike has almost 7k miles on it already?  You do sleep, right? 

Edit - just caught the fact that was a random screenshot of the phone app.  Guess I got distracted by all the bike p0rn and failed to read through ?

Edited by Hellmutt

On 3/23/2017 at 4:24 PM, ScubaCinci said:

Also, whomever at BMW designed the body parts for this thing was a sadistic bastard. There are like 500 pieces that make up the plastic fairing/body and they are all part screwed in and part push/pull socket connections. It's hard to tell when to yank to pop them out and when there's a screw holding it in. I kept thinking I was going to break something. You need three hands in some spots to hold all the pieces in position and then screw it in.

I guess the good news is that if you damage something, it's a smaller piece and not the whole damn side of the bike but jeez. All the bolts are very similar too. Very close in size with different sized shoulders. I ended up having to follow the parts fiche to figure out whick size bolt when where (they are all M5 so they all at least partially fit). I kinda lost track after having to remove a lot more shit than I thought I would have to.

Oh and BMW uses Torx bolts on EVERYTHING. I had to get new t-handles and socket w/Torx heads just to work on the thing.

The only chinks I've ever read in BMWs armor on this bike is the multitude of panels/fasteners ( from what I gather to be a given on most BMWs ) and the apparent vibration issues at certain revs.

Neither are really deal breakers, imo, since the bike scores highly in most every catagory

• 2 weeks later...

Those are the BMW "M" colors and other then shades of gray, it's the only color combos they offered (there were several different designs but this was the most subtle). Had I known I was going to do this, I would have chosen the rim stripes that have the same colors but it all more or less goes together. I have adjustable rear sets en route and then I'm DONE.

• 1 month later...