Circleville practice tech requirements

CBBaron

I have a DRZ400SM and would like to do some practice days at a Kart track with others so i can learn to ride better :D

What do I need to do to the bike to bring it to a practice day at CRP?

I know OMRL has considerable requirements for racing including removing lights and side stand, but this is my daily rider so I didn't want to have to do a bunch of work if it's not necessary for just a practice day.

Also I don't have a leather suit yet, is one required? And any recommendations for brands or good sources for inexpensive suits? The MVD supermoto pants and jacket from Klutch Industries seems like a decent value, any experience?

Thanks

Nothing major required to do a practice day, I would recommend you zip tie your kick stand but that is not even required...As far as leathers go, that is up to you when it comes to practicing but they are not going to tell you that you cannot ride.

Thanks,

So I could ride down do a practice session with my street bike and ride back home if I wanted to?

I will probably safety wire the oil plugs, zip tie the side stand and use a hitch rack to haul the bike down.

I think I want some MX boots and leathers also. I have decent ADV gear but I know that the textile stuff is really only good for one slide, and the ADV boots dont provide much ankle protection.

Any suggestions for a good classified site for used leathers?

The series I race in as well as the ama supermoto series allow motocross gear. Most road race style gear is designed for long high speed slides as the priority. The leather race suits have really good impact protection but the boots are lacking impact, bend and twist protection if your doing any off road or improper leg out riding. With the leather suit that is designed for elbows in and leaned forward riding position once you start getting tired you'll notice how much you're fighting the suit to be in proper supermoto body position. Overall leather suit offers more protection but will wear you out faster. The boots are just the opposite motocross style boots are more protective but less flexible so you lose comfort.  (I wouldn't recommend taking brand new motocross style boots to the track either. Especially if you aren't used to them. When new they are really stiff and hard to shift and use rear brake.)

About 90% of the guys I race with wear motocross style gear to race in because on the small kart tracks you move a lot on the bike and aren't going as fast as on an open track. The MX gear is sufficient and more conducive to proper body position. A majority of the AMA supermoto racers also ride in MX style gear. I'm currently racing in my leather suit and road race gloves with an MX helmet and boots. My street helmet wasn't comfortable with going over the jumps. My shoulders get really tired pushing my arms forward against my leathers to be in the proper elbows out position. So I'm in the process of buying MX gear. All I need now is the outer layer. Basically it boils down to track requirements and what your comfortable with. When I ride street I'm going to wear leathers with MX boots and an adv style helmet. 

If you want some pointers check out the YouTube videos of socal supermoto school. The ones about instruction are basically what they teach at the school. 

Edited by cOoTeR
  • Upvote 1

Thanks Cooter,

Really good info. I was planning on getting MX boots for the protection. I'll make sure that I wear them some before going to the track.

Ii was a little concerned about the comfort of leather race suits on a supermoto. That was the reason I was considering the MVD leathers as they say they are designed for supermoto. I know OMRL requires leather to race but I don't plan on racing at this time. Also Circleville is an asphalt only kart track as is the PIRC kart track, I don't know of any supermoto tracks near. I have a dirt and street helmet so I can try both.

I have been watching some of the socal supermoto videos on YouTube, I'll search and see if I can find some more training videos from them.

I've been watching AMA supermoto and S1GP. Seems to be mostly MX gear in AMA and more leather in S1GP. 

OMRL will want you in leather on a sumo, but they'll work with you on bike tech for your first weekend. 

A catch can and a wired drain plug/cap would be a good start. 

Like todd said, practice is a lot more lax. 

Edited by redkow97